Still looking for the right cans... what I've tried thus far.
Apr 24, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get it - the 770 is renowned as one of the doofiest quality phones around. How come you get no bass?

<snip>

No matter what all the audio nerds here say, I don't believe there is that much, if any difference between Beyers 250/600 ohm phones - only a bigger prerequisite for power.

This stuff made my day.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #32 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shane instead of getting headphones, spend $20 on a Fiio E5 mini amp, and turn on bass boost. You'll find the M50s to produce a serious low end.

Ok... I'll say it again.
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

My M50's rock! You are absolutely correct... They have more than enough bass for me. Serious low end... indeed!
atsmile.gif

The DT880's have almost enough (that's why I'm getting the HD600). 'Cause I'm hoping for a wee bit more bass and a wee bit less brightness in an open can.

shane

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #33 of 47
To me the Fiio E5 is a hit or miss. It really depends on the headphone you pair them up with. I know for a fact that the M50 becomes a bass monster without it gettimg muddy with the Bass Boost. Same with the XB700 (not that it needs even more of a low end, lol).

The DT770 Pro becomes a bass monster with the Fiio E5, but it muddies the mids a little more than I'd like.

I found it to make the DT880 a bit funner as well. For $20, I'd say it's worth it for those of us who don't already have these paired up to a higher end amp, or for those on the go. If you want instant bass, the Fiio won't likely disappoint, as long as the headphone is capable of a good low end. It will distort headphones that have a weak low end.

Like I said, it's hit or miss. Song choice is also a factor.

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #34 of 47
The Fiio E5 made my Panasonic RP-HTX7 sing. That cheap headphone sounded more than decent, it sounded good so much that I won't use the Panasonic without power again.

The humble Fiio E5 has new reason for existence and use. I prefer not to use the bass boost though, the Panasonic is already bassy enough.

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #35 of 47
I used the FiiO E5 for the bass boost on the K271 and found it too muddy. After a long burn in, I'm fine with the bass (just a little bit more would be great) but muddy mids for boomy bass is not for me. But then again I'm not a bass head
beyersmile.png

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #36 of 47
If you like the overall Beyer sound signature, but dislike the bass-light versions and too much sparkle, it's worth considering the DT-150.

Mine has as much bass as my 990 Pro, but no harshness in the upper end and an absolutely sweet midrange. I have yet to write up a review of these things, but they do EVERYTHING better than my Shure 840s and my 990 Pros.

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:19 AM Post #37 of 47
I once considered the Beyerdynamic DT150, it's overall sound and low end were quite impressive from what I've read. I consider myself a love of good bass and treble in combination with balance.

Some of the less popular headphones, like the JVC HA DX-series are an alternative if you like the sound. My DX3 sounds AKG-like with more bass
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #38 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can confirm that with my amp and ears that the DT770/600 Premium Consumer Ed headphones are definitely NOT lacking in bass. Quite deep, very well controlled for a closed headphone and nicely impactful.

Overall, I would say that I prefer them to the DT880/600s as they seem ever so slightly less bright in the treble region.

These are my favourite balanced/neutral CLOSED headphones that I've ever heard. The D7000s were really fun and engaging, but neutral they were NOT! And as such were limited to rock/metal and some jazz. While the DT770/600s are great with everything.
biggrin.gif

yes, I really have no idea about wth is going on w/ ppl calling the 770 bass-shy
confused.gif

I've owned the Pro/250, Consumer/250, Manufaktur full genuine leather/600....what's wrong ppl?

the Pro/250 was a nasty V-Shaped clamping phone w/ a monstruous bass response(I also tried a Pro/80, all I heard was bass..not much else), the con/250 was the same but less agressive due to less clamping and cups made of ABS(instead of crappy plastic), and the leather/600 was the icing on the cake...but SS was way too narrow and the sound way too analytical to my taste...it allowed me to hear any defect but not much music compared to my cd1k(same drivers as the cd3k)..these are studio working tools, not audiophile IMHO.
Quote:

The 'higher ohms = better phones' is just one more head fi myth and fallacy IMO (and there are plenty of 'em on here). Higher ohms are principally for use in recording studios, because they are connected to powerful amps that distribute a load to a number of phones.

there is no question that the 600Ω drivers have far clearer trebles than the 250Ω...even from a $100 soundcard, and even from a mobo soundchip FWIW.

the higher the impedance, the lighter the coil and the faster it gets...you sir, have not a single clue about what you're talking about. Yes, I've swapped drivers a couple of times between 250/600 in the very same chassis.

from the beyer PM:
Quote:

I expect the 32 ohms version to sound less transparent as the 600 ohms version. Headphone systems with lower impedances usually have a slightly heavier diaphragm + coil causing it to react slower to impulses..systems with higher impedances do the opposite.

FAQ´s Headphones
Quote:

The DT 770 PRO 250Ω system with its lighter coils sounds more smooth and analytical

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #39 of 47
Quote:

I can confirm that with my amp and ears that the DT770/600 Premium Consumer Ed headphones are definitely NOT lacking in bass. Quite deep, very well controlled for a closed headphone and nicely impactful.

Overall, I would say that I prefer them to the DT880/600s as they seem ever so slightly less bright in the treble region.

These are my favourite balanced/neutral CLOSED headphones that I've ever heard. The D7000s were really fun and engaging, but neutral they were NOT! And as such were limited to rock/metal and some jazz. While the DT770/600s are great with everything.
biggrin.gif

Swap out the 600 with 250 and I'll echo these sentiments. Right now the 880s are for home and the 770s are for work, and I've been looking for an excuse to bring the 770s home. To me, they give up a slight bit of comfort to the 880s, but tame the highs and raise the bass, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

OP - Glad to hear you like the M50s, though... because they're my reason to bring the 770s home. Burning them in as I type this.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

The 'higher ohms = better phones' is just one more head fi myth and fallacy IMO (and there are plenty of 'em on here). Higher ohms are principally for use in recording studios, because they are connected to powerful amps that distribute a load to a number of phones.

And 'efficient' in ohm context doesn't mean easier to drive - it means the noise level per milliwatt is efficient. So, given power adequate to their needs, they exhibit very little noise (even if this is inaudible to begin with). And if they're not given enough power, this efficiency rating is moot.

Any look at Beyer's web site will see they market and discuss their higher end 250ohm phones as studio based gear. But they're hardly going to knock any consumer perception that 600ohm phones are better. Hence the only statement they make for the 600 is it's targeted at hi fi enthusiasts and studios, (yet only available via the customisable site, and what studio wants to order colour customised phones and pay extra for that?) no mention of increased performance - the market makes that leap of faith, and makes it fact via opinion.

More resistance just means harder to drive, needing more power for required performance. So higher ohm phones should be properly amped. Period. But people being what they are, bigger numbers = 'better' performance.

Just like a guy who buys a V8 over a V6, but never actually gets to use it's grunt, and therefore not really notice any real-world difference in performance. But I guess it gets noticed at the car club...

When it comes to beyer, the higher the impedance, indeed the better the sound (thanks leeperry for your comment on this too!). This is not a myth based on what my ears are telling me.
regular_smile .gif

And to confirm with a tube amp, the 600 ohm beyers are equally easy to drive as the 250 ohms. I simply keep my volume knob on my tube amp at 12 or 1 o'clock for both and both sound great (although the 600 ohm version does sound better to my ears).

Obviously beyer prefers the 600ohm version as the new flagship T1s utilize 600 ohm drivers.

BTW, a V8 is a better engine that a V6, plain and simple. Faster acceleration, more torque and the guy with the V6 would eventually wish he picked up the V8 version of his CAR. Sorry, I don't get this analogy. Have you heard the beyer 250 ohm version and compared it to the 600 ohm version? If you don't agree with me, that's cool, but please don't dismiss MY EXPERIENCES as myth...very uncool.

Obviously I'm not the only one to hold this sentiment:

Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've owned the Pro/250, Consumer/250, Manufaktur full genuine leather/600....what's wrong ppl?

there is no question that the 600Ω drivers have far clearer trebles than the 250Ω...even from a $100 soundcard, and even from a mobo soundchip FWIW.

the higher the impedance, the lighter the coil and the faster it gets...you sir, have not a single clue about what you're talking about. Yes, I've swapped drivers a couple of times between 250/600 in the very same chassis.

from the beyer PM:

FAQ´s Headphones

Quote:

Originally Posted by BruteFM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swap out the 600 with 250 and I'll echo these sentiments. Right now the 880s are for home and the 770s are for work, and I've been looking for an excuse to bring the 770s home. To me, they give up a slight bit of comfort to the 880s, but tame the highs and raise the bass, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

OP - Glad to hear you like the M50s, though... because they're my reason to bring the 770s home. Burning them in as I type this.

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #41 of 47
Quote:

Obviously beyer prefers the 600ohm version as the new flagship T1s utilize 600 ohm drivers.

well, the main reason is that due to their in-house technology the higher the impedance the faster/lighter the coil...but it definitely doesn't hold true for all (dynamics) headphones, as you can find many low impedance phones that will smoke a 770 or 880/600Ω...what holds true for BD isn't for the other manufacturers, so maybe it's an head-fi myth after all...but definitely not for BD headphones, though
happy_face1.gif

if you hold a 770/250 driver in one hand and a 770/600 in the other, the weight difference is striking...and it's the same when you wear it on your head, as I love light phones
very_evil_smiley.gif

for audio monitoring, the full genuine leather 770/600 would be hard to beat IMHO...any tiny small defect literally pops up to your ears haha
eek.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #42 of 47
I think you'll like the Hd-600's you ordered. I'd be interested in your opinion when you get them. They seem to fit your description of what you're looking for very well.

I actually ordered them this weekend and got them on Saturday. For me they are definitely keepers. They do have a lot of bass to me, but I really like them. The bass isn't at all overpowering though.

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #43 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdockweiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you'll like the Hd-600's you ordered. I'd be interested in your opinion when you get them. They seem to fit your description of what you're looking for very well.

I actually ordered them this weekend and got them on Saturday. For me they are definitely keepers. They do have a lot of bass to me, but I really like them. The bass isn't at all overpowering though.

I'll be sure to post my comparison with the HD600 and DT880-250ohm's.
atsmile.gif

shane

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelpearce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the overall Beyer sound signature, but dislike the bass-light versions and too much sparkle, it's worth considering the DT-150.

Mine has as much bass as my 990 Pro, but no harshness in the upper end and an absolutely sweet midrange. I have yet to write up a review of these things, but they do EVERYTHING better than my Shure 840s and my 990 Pros.

Interesting. I know nothing about the DT150.
I have the ATH-M50, and will have the SRH840 on Tuesday.
icon10.gif

I like the M50. They are fun. The upper mids are a bit recessed and the bass is just the tiniest bit exaggerated, but they are generally very good cans.

Many say that the 840's blow them away. I couldn't go on without hearing and judging for myself. (Isn't that what this is all about?)

How is the isolation on the DT150? Are they 'natural' and uncolored?

shane

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #45 of 47
I too own an Outlaw RR2150 receiver and can vouch for the respectability of its performance driving various headphones. You will never confuse it with a dedicated high-dollar headphone amp, of course, but it more than holds its own with various mid-level amplifiers I've tried and would not likely be the cause of the bass deficiency the OP detected. I actually preferred the RR2150 to the Heed CanAmp, for instance.

Carry on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back