Still looking for the right cans... what I've tried thus far.
Apr 23, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
remember, this is not the DT770PRO/80 bass monsters that we're talking about,he has the DT770(250) Premium Consumer edition.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #17 of 47
If you want relaxing and laid back sound, like bass and abhor brightness the HD650 would tick all your boxes. HD600 would do so too, but not to such a great extent. HD650 are like a long massage in headphone form.

Apr 23, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #18 of 47
Great responses. It's interesting to hear the different opinions about the same things.
beerchug.gif

Trust me, it's not the sources.
Lossless or uncompressed files (or 24bit/96k wav) -> Xonar STX -> DAC1-Pre -> Outlaw provide more than enough umph and sonic quality.
biggrin.gif

There is MORE than enough bass in the M50's (which I'm really liking... but for different reasons) and there is almost the perfect amount in the DT880's (also 250ohm). Even my old AKG-K260 have enough bass for most music.

I realize the DT770's were 250ohm, not the 80ohm, but when I say there was NO bass. I mean none. As if the woofer was blown and I was just driving the tweeters. These may actually have been defective. That aside, the highs were painful (which may also have been the result of a defect).

Until I actually compare them with my own ears I will probably remain just a bit skeptical ...not disbelieving... about the vast sonic differences btwn. the 600/250ohm versions (as Drubbing)... so here's my plan:

I ordered the HD600 yesterday evening (actually kind of excited about it
L3000.gif
). They will arrive on Monday. I'll see how they compare to the DT880.

If the HD600 doesn't provide the sonic experience I think should be achieved by $300 cans, I'll order-up the DT880 - 600ohm.
beyersmile.png

Hehe... Thanks again.

shane

Apr 23, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 47
Shane55, good luck...

To be honest, the Sennheiser HD600 is on my to try wish list but buying it, it better be convincing for it also has to compete with my JVC and Pioneers.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shane55, good luck...

To be honest, the Sennheiser HD600 is on my to try wish list but buying it, it better be convincing for it also has to compete with my JVC and Pioneers.

I'll be posting my findings.
I also ordered the Shure SRH840 today. I'll get that on Tuesday.

So, I'll be comparing the DT880 - 250ohm with the HD600.
And... the ATH-M50 with the SRH840.

Should be interesting and fun.
atsmile.gif

shane

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to look into amps rather than headphones.

Because?

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amps can make a big difference. Tube vs solidstate, I have experienced this first hand at a head-fi meet listing to my headphones on various amps. The difference in sound was surprising. What amp are you currently using?

From Post #18 above:
"Lossless or uncompressed files (or 24bit/96k wav) -> Xonar STX -> DAC1-Pre -> Outlaw [RR2150]."

I can and have gone out from all three, some solo, some in combination. Digital and analog out from Xonar.

Oddly... not enough difference to discuss.
normal_smile .gif

I'm not saying that there can't be differences between sources. I'm sure there is/are (esp. tube v. SS). Right now, with these three (none are tube) I hear effectively no difference. Also... it is with these components that I'm looking for the best HP match. I'd rather not play with too many variables. I'm looking for synergy with what I have.
L3000.gif

shane

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
remember, this is not the DT770/80 bass monsters that we're talking about,he has the DT770(250) Premium Consumer edition.

maybe he just wants a more engaging/relaxing phone with the right amount of bass for classical.

I'd probably go for the HD600 or the DT990's

I can confirm that with my amp and ears that the DT770/600 Premium Consumer Ed headphones are definitely NOT lacking in bass. Quite deep, very well controlled for a closed headphone and nicely impactful.

Overall, I would say that I prefer them to the DT880/600s as they seem ever so slightly less bright in the treble region.

These are my favourite balanced/neutral CLOSED headphones that I've ever heard. The D7000s were really fun and engaging, but neutral they were NOT! And as such were limited to rock/metal and some jazz. While the DT770/600s are great with everything.
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can confirm that with my amp and ears that the DT770/600 Premium Consumer Ed headphones are definitely NOT lacking in bass. Quite deep, very well controlled for a closed headphone and nicely impactful.

Overall, I would say that I prefer them to the DT880/600s as they seem ever so slightly less bright in the treble region.

These are my favourite balanced/neutral CLOSED headphones that I've ever heard. The D7000s were really fun and engaging, but neutral they were NOT! And as such were limited to rock/metal and some jazz. While the DT770/600s are great with everything.
biggrin.gif

L3000.gif

Yeah... well as I said, these (DT770) weren't the 600 or 80ohm. They were the 250ohm, and there was probably something very wrong with them. They were way wrong.
frown.gif

So... if I'm not satisfied with the next HP arrivals I'll look to the 600ohm versions of the 770 and/or 880.
dt880smile.png

shane

Apr 24, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
L3000.gif

Yeah... well as I said, these (DT770) weren't the 600 or 80ohm. They were the 250ohm, and there was probably something very wrong with them. They were way wrong.
frown.gif

So... if I'm not satisfied with the next HP arrivals I'll look to the 600ohm versions of the 770 and/or 880.
dt880smile.png

shane

Yeah that sucks that they weren't right for you. I wonder why beyer even bothers with the 250ohm option? The 600s ohm cans are so efficient that they are pretty much the same to drive as the 250 ohm versions (and they sound quite a bit better too).

Good luck with the new cans!

Apr 24, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 600s ohm cans are so efficient that they are pretty much the same to drive as the 250 ohm versions (and they sound quite a bit better too).

The 'higher ohms = better phones' is just one more head fi myth and fallacy IMO (and there are plenty of 'em on here). Higher ohms are principally for use in recording studios, because they are connected to powerful amps that distribute a load to a number of phones.

And 'efficient' in ohm context doesn't mean easier to drive - it means the noise level per milliwatt is efficient. So, given power adequate to their needs, they exhibit very little noise (even if this is inaudible to begin with). And if they're not given enough power, this efficiency rating is moot.

Any look at Beyer's web site will see they market and discuss their higher end 250ohm phones as studio based gear. But they're hardly going to knock any consumer perception that 600ohm phones are better. Hence the only statement they make for the 600 is it's targeted at hi fi enthusiasts and studios, (yet only available via the customisable site, and what studio wants to order colour customised phones and pay extra for that?) no mention of increased performance - the market makes that leap of faith, and makes it fact via opinion.

More resistance just means harder to drive, needing more power for required performance. So higher ohm phones should be properly amped. Period. But people being what they are, bigger numbers = 'better' performance.

Just like a guy who buys a V8 over a V6, but never actually gets to use it's grunt, and therefore not really notice any real-world difference in performance. But I guess it gets noticed at the car club...

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #29 of 47
Shane instead of getting headphones, spend $20 on a Fiio E5 mini amp, and turn on bass boost. You'll find the M50s to produce a serious low end.

Apr 24, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #30 of 47
I used to own the Fiio, but it made the bass bloated and took over the mids a bit. For $5, it was a great deal, but carrying around that little amp with me was a hassle. And no, it was not a fake. I don't think fakes were even around then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back