Steven Wilson's 2nd solo two album project - Grace For Drowning
Oct 8, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #61 of 87
I think GFD is a solid record, that sounds excellent, but for me it's not as compelling musically as I had hoped it would be, even after repeat listens. There isn't a single song on GFD I find as strong as many of the songs from The Incident (note that unlike many, I thought The Incident was a very strong PT record musically). Nothing on GFD stands up to Time Flies, Blind House, Drawing the Line...again, I actually LIKE GFD quite a bit, and it is better than Insurgentes, but it's still musically below pretty much every Porcupine Tree record since Signify, IMO. I think maybe Steven benefits from a little collaboration, even if he is doing most of the heavy lifting.

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #62 of 87

Quote:
@Li Ching Yuen
I don't know why you take offence. It's a forum and he give his opinion without attacking or insulting any forum user, so he's perfectly entitled to. If you're bothered by this opinion, you could choose to ignore it, or ignore the complete topic, but I don't see anything wrong here besides you calling someone's opinion 'polluting with noise'.

My comment was solely referring to his bashing of the visual imagery of the project and calling a guy "emo" over that fact.
It's about as appropriate as me going with "Why so serious?" over what The Cure has put out. 

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #63 of 87
Just changed to Deerhunter because indeed Wilsons CD is something to "sleep". The music is a kind of going in the brain and out but there is nothing between. At least for me. Instead I could listen to Joan Baez and it would have the same feeling plus I remember her voice..

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #64 of 87

Quote:
I think GFD is a solid record, that sounds excellent, but for me it's not as compelling musically as I had hoped it would be, even after repeat listens. There isn't a single song on GFD I find as strong as many of the songs from The Incident (note that unlike many, I thought The Incident was a very strong PT record musically). Nothing on GFD stands up to Time Flies, Blind House, Drawing the Line...again, I actually LIKE GFD quite a bit, and it is better than Insurgentes, but it's still musically below pretty much every Porcupine Tree record since Signify, IMO. I think maybe Steven benefits from a little collaboration, even if he is doing most of the heavy lifting.

Exactly. It's not a bad record and the Raider song is pretty interesting among some others.

You're not alone on the Incident and summed the best tracks also IMO.
If only Wilson didn't f## up the sound quality of that, I'd listen to it even more.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #65 of 87
Indeed, pity that The Incident wasn't better sonically.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #66 of 87
Would this mean that ST is failed as a singer?

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #67 of 87
Wow, absolutely not IMO. I love Steven's voice. There is something about it that absolutely moves me. "I Drive The Hearse" from The Incident is just one of many examples of a song where SW's voice is positively evocative.

And he has written a lot of wonderful songs, too, IMO...I just didn't feel that GFD contained any truly outstanding SW compositions. Again, plenty of GOOD ones, but nothing GREAT. And again, JMO.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #68 of 87
wooooooooooooooohooooooooooo..

I thought sth different of your lastlast post..

sry..my english is as good as a sheep is able to find an apple.

back to the topic:

IMO this CD is after a lot of listening negatively melting and even the voice of SW is not what I want to buy again, but I have it and now it is just like some shoes of my girlfriend..

Important is to have it :)

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #69 of 87

Quote:
Would this mean that ST is failed as a singer?

No. Although singing never was his 'main thing', many love that voice and I'm one of them. As singer as well as composer and mixer, he's simply a genius, one of the best of this generation IMO.

But after making some very good quality recordings/mixes, The Incident was very dissapointing sq wise. There are some more recent projects that dissapointed in that area (f.e. Anathema - We're here because we're here).

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #70 of 87
I dont know Anathema, No Man, Blackfield, PT is all I know..and BF is really nice..

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #71 of 87
Yes, the last Blackfield album sounded very good in addition to having some good music on it, although there again I thought the first two Blackfield albums were better musically. Of course the newest Blackfield all the songs were written by Avi except for one SW-penned track.

I'm convinced that SW short-changed the sonics on The Incident because he had spent so much time remixing and remastering the King Crimson catalog. Just conjecture on my part, but it does make you wonder if he was just sick of the studio and mixing board.

The live concert I saw on The Incident tour was absolutely phenomenal, so he was certainly into the music.

Oct 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #72 of 87
I hope future brings a good quality cd/dvd from The Incident Tour, I missed it. Saw Blackfield though which was pretty good except for the clownish behaviour of Aviv de 2nd half of the concert.

I'd love a new No-Man record and see them again live.

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #73 of 87
The concert I saw in Chicago was shot in hi-def and was allegedly going to be released on BluRay, but it hasn't happened yet...

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #74 of 87
One gripe that I have with this album is that it's mixed wayyyy too low. I know SW is a great producer and normally treasures dynamics but the volume of this thing is brought down too much.

Oct 8, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #75 of 87
I disagree. That's what's required to allow great dynamics. It's lous when it needs to be, but mercifully it's not compressed. SW should be commended for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back