Steven Wilson's 2nd solo two album project - Grace For Drowning
Sep 28, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #46 of 87
Yeah, with the extensive use of mellotron there is no doubt SW's extensive time remastering the KC catalog has given him a few ideas, not that he never used mellotron before, but there are some clear KC overtones in GFD>

But listen to the vocals, there is no doubt these are Blackfield influenced IMO.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #47 of 87
Yeah, I hear Blackfield overtones on one or two songs maybe...  Just got my deluxe edition today, and I can assuredly say the bonus CD is nothing special to my ears but some might like it.  It's got some raw demos which sound, well, raw.  The best song on there, Home In Negative, can be had for free on his Soundcloud page.

I guess I might have to spring for an internal Blu-ray player/writer if I want to get the high-res audio off of there.  Why the heck he can't just offer the high-res files as downloads, even purchasable ones, is beyond me.

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #48 of 87
Well, a few more plays, and it is growing on me fast. I plan to play at least one disc every day for the next few days. Complex music like this usually requires repeated listenings to really appreciate.

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #49 of 87

Quote:
Well, a few more plays, and it is growing on me fast. I plan to play at least one disc every day for the next few days. Complex music like this usually requires repeated listenings to really appreciate.

exactly the same here

I'm beginning to like the Raider II song a lot

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #50 of 87
So when I got home tonight I looked through the deluxe edition book.  It is very nicely made and certainly worth the cost of admission from a printing perspective (as that has been the industry I've been a part of my entire life).  I am not a fan of Lasse's artwork and the dull color tones he uses in his patchwork photography.  But here I was about 2/3 the way through the book and I had not seen one broken baby doll picture.  Melancholic photos galore.  That's all there is, aside from lyrics.  I thought to myself, "Could it be true??  Have Lasse and Steven finally grown out of that silly, emo stage of their lives?" and no sooner do I turn the next page and find a picture of a doll with limbs missing.  It was a true double facepalm moment.

For such a brilliant musician, he has such a crappy taste in art and an overwhelming desire to regurgitate the same, mediocre visuals.  Give it a rest.  Try something new, will you, Steven?  It's gotten so F'ing old already.  It got old 3 or 4 albums ago.  Using such talented musicians on this album and the grace in which it was orchestrated shows such maturity as a musician.  Why you have a desire to hang on to this depressing, repetitive, sub-mediocre artwork I shall never understand, and frankly I think it's beneath you.

Just my humble opinion, of course.

Oh, and allow me to add one MAJOR gripe ---

The Blu-Ray was supposed to have all the bonus material that was on the bonus CD and 5 films... well guess what?  They aren't there.  There are only 2 bonus songs and NO FILMS.  So that means that if you want those, you also have to buy the stand-alone blu-ray edition.  Talk about raping your fan base.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #51 of 87

[size=medium]
The bonus videos and songs (lyrics and demo versions) only appear if you select them from the track menu.

If you play the whole album you won't get the option to choose them.
[/size]

Oct 1, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #53 of 87

[size=medium]
The bonus videos and songs (lyrics and demo versions) only appear if you select them from the track menu.

If you play the whole album you won't get the option to choose them.
[/size]

Yeah, I figured that out eventually but apparently it was enough of a problem for many people that Steven Wilson posted about it on his own Facebook page.
However, there still are only 2 demo songs on the Blu-Ray and not the full 6 that are on the bonus CD. (unless you count some of the demo mixes of all the songs from the first 2 CDs, but that isn't what was being referred to in the deluxe edition advertisement, as there are several songs missing). That part doesn't really matter to me though since the bonus CD wasn't anything special, but if you liked it you'd probably want the high-res versions of it as advertised.

Oct 2, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #54 of 87
Not really finding this to be as epic as everyone is saying it is. The sound quality is great, but im just not liking the music. I definitely like all the porcupine tree stuff and even insurgentes more than this. Im just finding it dull and borring, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Oct 8, 2011 at 7:01 AM Post #57 of 87
If you don't like and understand the idea of musical/artistic expression then please do people a favor and stop polluting with this noise you call opinion. Once you reach a sense of entitlement over what the artists that you enjoy listening are putting out and how they are choosing to express themselve then it's safe to say that you've surpassed your role. 

For this, there's a quick cure which consists of moving away from said artist and simply just stop listening. Far more benefiting then constant drivel and complaint on the internet.

---

Very much enjoying this LP right now. Love the little Ennio Morricone homage and the short bursts in songwriting on songs like Postcard and Track One.

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM Post #58 of 87
Oct 8, 2011 at 8:35 AM Post #59 of 87
^ I didn't buy the 24 bit files until now, just wanted to share I saw them on HDTracks cause I know some people search for them.

I must confess that after listening to the record about 8 times, I'm not really impressed; it doesn't really seem to grow on me (yet). Sound quality is indeed pretty good, agreed.

@Li Ching Yuen
I don't know why you take offence. It's a forum and he give his opinion without attacking or insulting any forum user, so he's perfectly entitled to. If you're bothered by this opinion, you could choose to ignore it, or ignore the complete topic, but I don't see anything wrong here besides you calling someone's opinion 'polluting with noise'.

Oct 8, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #60 of 87

Quote:
^ I didn't buy the 24 bit files until now, just wanted to share I saw them on HDTracks cause I know some people search for them.

I must confess that after listening to the record about 8 times, I'm not really impressed; it doesn't really seem to grow on me (yet). Sound quality is indeed pretty good, agreed.

@Li Ching Yuen
I don't know why you take offence. It's a forum and he give his opinion without attacking or insulting any forum user, so he's perfectly entitled to. If you're bothered by this opinion, you could choose to ignore it, or ignore the complete topic, but I don't see anything wrong here besides you calling someone's opinion 'polluting with noise'.

Agreed. But it is good to compare headphones :) :). In this way the personal feeling is not introduced :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back