Steven Wilson's 2nd solo two album project - Grace For Drowning
Sep 26, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #31 of 87
Hmm, I guess I should order this. There are a lot of nicer releases last few days/weeks and I sort of overlooked this one.

Very curious offcourse, but very very frustrated I can't order the cd and a 24 bit version as one normally priced package. If I want them both, I have to order the most expensive 65 euro package, or buy both the blu ray and cd version.

So I'm probably getting the 16 bit version, and just like IpodPJ, hoping someone likes to share an extract of the 24 bit version.
If I do decide to get the blu ray myself, IpodPJ, I'll give you a pm..

(Comment to an older post: Skylab, I'm soooo curious about the SW Discipline mix! Also already in pre-order here)

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #32 of 87
Listening to Raider II as I type. So far I like the album but it's different than his last solo record. Maybe closer to being actually progressive but I've only gotten through most of it once and was distracted some of that time. I'm going to give it a more thorough listen on Wednesday.

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #33 of 87
I didnt read this whole thread but was there a reason Gavin Harrison isn't the drummer on this album? He was on SW's last solo album, Insurgentes. I havent heard this new cd yet, hopefully it'll be on MOG at midnight, but im disappointed that Gavin isnt the drummer on it. Maybe he was to busy with OSI?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #34 of 87

Quote:
Is this the project he did with Mikael Akerfeldt?

No, that's Storm Corrosion.  This is his 2nd solo album, and in my opinion his most mature work to date, and very likely the best album he's ever made.  He said it took him a full year to do it, which is longer than any other album he's ever made.

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #35 of 87

Quote:
Listening to Raider II as I type. So far I like the album but it's different than his last solo record. Maybe closer to being actually progressive but I've only gotten through most of it once and was distracted some of that time. I'm going to give it a more thorough listen on Wednesday.

The 2nd CD isn't as good as the first in my opinion, except for the last song.  The 1st CD is just insanely good though.

Since my Deluxe edition hasn't arrived yet, but I have obviously listened to the album which you can find online in 320 and now FLAC (only the two CDs, not all 3), I wanted to purchase one of the songs on the deluxe CD since you can buy it from iTunes.  It's called Fluid Tap and cost $1.29.  No need to purchase the other bonus track Home In Negative since you can download that for free right from SW's own Soundcloud page.

Quote:
I didnt read this whole thread but was there a reason Gavin Harrison isn't the drummer on this album? He was on SW's last solo album, Insurgentes. I havent heard this new cd yet, hopefully it'll be on MOG at midnight, but im disappointed that Gavin isnt the drummer on it. Maybe he was to busy with OSI?

Have no fear, oh doubtful one.  The drummer is Nic France and he is phenomenal.  You will have zero complaints with the quality of drumming on this album.  He's every bit as good as Gavin if not better.  He may not be as technical in some areas, but there is no need for that on this album.  Nic France has much more finesse.  There's really nothing lacking from the musicianship or arrangements in any way.  You can really hear Steve Hackett playing, and a strong Genesis influence on parts of the best track of the album, Deform To Form A Star.

And unlike the poor SQ of The Incident, the SQ on this one is quite good.  The bass (by Tony Levin) is exceptionally tight, clean, and still packs a whollop.

I have a feeling after mass reviews start pouring in from this album, Porcupine Tree will start to decline in popularity since SW does a better job on his own, and was more or less PT anyway.

What's really neat is that while a lot of the songs do peak dynamically at around 98%, there are some that only peak between 40 and 60%.  Dynamics are really good.

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #36 of 87
It's live on MOG! I will give it a listen in the morning.

Sep 27, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #37 of 87

Quote:
He said it took him a full year to do it, which is longer than any other album he's ever made.

that's very long for him

glad to read sound quality is better then The Incident!

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #38 of 87
I got mine today.  Agree that the sound quality is spectacular.  As for the music...on first listen I liked it, but wasn't bowled over.  But I was working while it was playing, so I need to devote my full attention to it.  More later.

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #39 of 87
3 tracks in, and so far im extremely bored. Sound quality is good, but im bored.

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #40 of 87

Quote:
I got mine today.  Agree that the sound quality is spectacular.  As for the music...on first listen I liked it, but wasn't bowled over.  But I was working while it was playing, so I need to devote my full attention to it.  More later.

Quote:
3 tracks in, and so far im extremely bored. Sound quality is good, but im bored.

I'm awestruck by what I'm reading here.  I'd be the first to criticize any album he's done and I have, but this surely isn't one of them.
Hopefully you will sit on your couch, close your eyes, lights dim, turn up the volume, and take it all in.
Surely we are all moved in different ways by different music, but this is one album I did not think I would hear anyone said bored them.
It's the only album he's done since In Absentia (and possibly Deadwing) which I have been able to listen to over and over.

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #41 of 87
I really hope my Deluxe edition shows up soon.  It was shipped from the UK to California on the 22nd.  Normally I receive items from them in 4-5 days so it should have been here by now or tomorrow at the latest.  I'm getting impatient for the bonus material, and want to see if I can connect my Blu-Ray player optically to my Mac Mini and record the high-res material --- either that or spend $85 to buy an internal Blu-Ray burner.  Why couldn't he have just put it on DVD-A and called it a day?

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #42 of 87
I will say for sure that I cannot possibly imagine being BORED by GFD. I don't find it boring at all. The second track, a long instrumental, is very cool, and not the least bit boring, which an 8 minute instrumental could be.

Again, in my case, I may well decide I love it. Some records require more than one listen for me to really get into.

I definitely hear the Blackfield influence in parts of this record. It sounds more like Blackfield than PT.

EDIT: I forgot to mention my comments yesterday were only on Disc 1. Listening to Disc 2 this morning, and the big Raider II epic track is just that - EPIC. Really great. Maybe I am warming up already. Looking forward to re-listening to disc 1, but on first pass, I prefer disc 2.

Sep 28, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #43 of 87
I was left undecided by the clips Amazon provides, so I delayed purchasing the bluray version and got the MP3 download ($6.99) for the time being.
I like  it a lot. I think it's much better than The Incident, which I felt was disappointing.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #44 of 87
Had a first attentive listen to both cd's, on first listen, it's interesting, much better then his previous solo cd, not mind blowing but definitely not boring either.

It'll probably grow on me, like many SW cd's

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #45 of 87

Quote:
I will say for sure that I cannot possibly imagine being BORED by GFD. I don't find it boring at all. The second track, a long instrumental, is very cool, and not the least bit boring, which an 8 minute instrumental could be.
Again, in my case, I may well decide I love it. Some records require more than one listen for me to really get into.
I definitely hear the Blackfield influence in parts of this record. It sounds more like Blackfield than PT.
EDIT: I forgot to mention my comments yesterday were only on Disc 1. Listening to Disc 2 this morning, and the big Raider II epic track is just that - EPIC. Really great. Maybe I am warming up already. Looking forward to re-listening to disc 1, but on first pass, I prefer disc 2.

Haha, we have complete opposite tastes with his music I guess.  I find CD2 definitely the lesser of the two masterpieces.  Many of the comments I've read have found Raider II much too long, where it should be topping out at 12 minutes like the edit posted on his site.  I haven't heard one person mention they have heard Blackfield influences, but definitely have heard King Crimson and many other progressive influences.
You've got a whole host of talented musicians playing on this album, none of which are from Porcupine Tree as far as I know.
It sounds like a culmination of everything he's done to date, with some maturity and cohesiveness added, and wrapped up in a nice package.
Apparently he does feel like the discs should be listened to separately and as their own entities.  Weird though how you would have Raider Prelude on Disc 1 then.  And the last track of CD2 which is definitely my favorite on it, feels completely out of place there.  It sounds like, "Ok, now where did you come from?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back