Steve Martin - Virtuoso Banjoist?
Aug 10, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #16 of 23
I heard him on "Prairie Home Companion". Didn't know who it was when I turned on the radio. Finally recognized his voice. He hadn't done an album in decades, for whatever reason. He is serious, but the true bluegrass folk (as distinct from the folk folk) never really let him in.

The disc is quite good, to my way of music. It's a toe tapper, fur shur.

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #17 of 23
I knew he played--but not this well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Timing is everything in comedy. He's a natural.
smily_headphones1.gif

Makes sense. Along the same lines, as long as we're on the (hijacked) subject of other actors/closet-musicians, political humorist Steve Allen has some pretty serious jazz piano chops.

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #19 of 23
Months ago I was shooting the **** with some friends at work and some one mentioned that Steve played the banjo - I called BS and quickly ran to disprove him. Happily I was incorrect as before Steve, I had never heard anything come out of the banjo that wasn't obnoxious tripe. He's got a gift, and I couldn't be more impressed with his albums.

The banjo reminds me of the harmonica. 99.9% of the time it just hurts my ears and I want none of it, then that one person comes along and just blows your mind.

Sep 4, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #22 of 23
Steve Martin has always facinated me. Several things have pointed me his direction. There is a point in the expired TV series "Freaks and Geeks" where Sam (a main character) is listening and laughing to one of Steve's comedy albums. After that I searched out his comedy albums on vinyl. A while back I saw a documentary about him and his career. Also, my stepmom told me to check out his autobiography that came out in 07' as well.

If you have the slightest interest in him you should check out 'Born Standing Up'. It's very interesting and entertaining. There's a story in there about an interaction that Steve had with Elvis that is priceless.

As far as Steve's banjo playing; He's no Béla Fleck, but he ain't bad. I've seen him play a few times on 'The Tonight Show' with bluegrass 'A-list' players like Earl Scruggs and Tony Trischka.

Steve, Tony, and Béla on the tonight show

His compositions are pretty good, as well. He's one of those people who have oozing talent but think they have none.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YouTube - Earl Scruggs & Steve Martin - Foggy Mountain Breakdown (Best

This is one of my favourite videos of Steve playing the banjo, and its of one of my favourite bluegrass songs; a great combination! I learned that he played a few years ago when I was checking youtube for videos of the old TV show The Gong Show, and Steve went up despite being a judge, and started to play Foggy Mountain Breakdown, but unfortunately he was always stopped part way through the song. LET THE MAN PLAY, DARN IT!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back