Stereophile September - Hornet - Rave Review by Sam Tellig
Sep 19, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #46 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
I dunno... I'm too happy with the stock Hornet sound that I'm not sure I want to have it M modded. I'm toying with the idea of simply buying the M Hornet and keeping the Hornet as is... decisons, decisions

(Ray, are ya gonna have another Hornet sale?
tongue.gif
)

I've decided to just bring my Hornet to the meet in April with my iPod, Jumbo Dock, and ES2's so I can A/B the stock and "M" Hornets. I like mine too much to send it in.

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #47 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by boschtb
When the M first came out, I was pretty sure I was going to stay with the stock too. I really like it, so why change it? But as more and more favorable impressions come out about the M, many from folks who liked the original, I have decided to send mine in for the mod. It's a tough decision though.

I've burned in and listened extensively to both. As I've said before, if you really like the original, you won't necessarily like the "M", since it is quite a different sound.

The original has the "huge" bass, warm and "tube-y" character, very close-up and intimate presentation (and, accordingly, somewhat narrower soundstage width -- like shooting with a telephoto lens vs a wide-angle ... you see a close and narrower view). The original had less HF extension, but sweeter more forgiving upper end. Very easy long-term listening.

The "M" has much greater HF extension, very wide soundstage, more open/dimensional sound, very tight/deep/punchy bass, more defined and energetic overall.

If you love the warm original sound, why change? The goal is to hear a sound you enjoy, right?

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #48 of 71
see now? maybe i'll just keep it stock. i DO like the bass of it better than the "M" after all. but i hear what romanee's saying about the benefits in the highs for the "M" mod. argh!

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #49 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
see now? maybe i'll just keep it stock. i DO like the bass of it better than the "M" after all. but i hear what romanee's saying about the benefits in the highs for the "M" mod. argh!

Also depends on what kind of bass you like, for what music..... "M" has really fast, punchy (& more defined) bass that does not seem to affect the mids, while Original has big/round bass whose warmth does seem to pervade somewhat upwards -- although it's been a while since I heard it and perhaps that's just the generally warm character of the amp.

BTW, J - remember that you do not have the "Original", but rather a later stock Hornet with the Panasonic cap that replaced the warmer Nichicon cap found in the early amps - so you already have somewhat faster, tighter bass than the Original, and the "M" mod will only improve it overall (IMHO). We have to meet again soon so you can compare for yourself.

Sep 19, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #50 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Also depends on what kind of bass you like, for what music..... "M" has really fast, punchy (& more defined) bass that does not seem to affect the mids, while Original has big/round bass whose warmth does seem to pervade somewhat upwards -- although it's been a while since I heard it and perhaps that's just the generally warm character of the amp.

BTW, J - remember that you do not have the "Original", but rather a later stock Hornet with the Panasonic cap that replaced the warmer Nichicon cap found in the early amps - so you already have somewhat faster, tighter bass than the Original, and the "M" mod will only improve it overall (IMHO). We have to meet again soon so you can compare for yourself.

BT-BTW - The "Cat" frames of the Farside strip isn't visible. Instead it shows "Hosted by Tripod..."

hmm so it's more like it's more of a good thing? ah what the heck.

try this link?

http://members.tripod.com/~RalphChap...hear.color.gif

Sep 19, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #51 of 71
Ahhh. Found it. (The url you had needed to be adjusted a bit...)

I didn't give the cats enough credit! (I'll have to edit my post...)

dogs_hear.gif

cats_hear.gif

Both in color. Much clearer, all together. Now I feel so much better.

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #52 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Don't forget that those guys use ipods. The ipod has a headphone out driven by a tiny crappy amp in there. Hey, if an external headphone out sounds better, so be it. Also remember that Stereophile probably is driving it directly from a headphone out, and not using a dedicated line out like a Pocketdock. So in fact, if Stereophile says it's good, you can probably even tweak your rig to make it sound even better!

That's a good point!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #53 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
You don't have to care about Stereophiles "ravings" any more than we have to care about yours. I don't know if the review was meant to be a comparison. I believe it was meant to the authors opinion of the amp, nothing more.

It was not the fact, but the emphasis to strike me as somewhat undue. No such a big deal, anyway.

In any event, I don't "hate" RSA or anything (please people don't see what ain't there).
plainface.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #54 of 71
Congats, Sir Raymond! This is yet more well deserved praise of your product line, and it's nice to know that more reviews are in the pipeline. As you have pointed out in your usual humble manner, such reviews are good for Head-Fi and the headphone aspect of high end audio in general, as well as your company. Keep up the good work, and be expecting to see my original Hornet in the mail one of these days for the freebie M upgrade that you so graciously provide to your customers.

(Were I not being 100% sincere, even I'd think that was an ass-kiss post, but Ray really does deserve a tip of the hat for all that he's done for the hobby.)

P.S., my English as a hybrid first-second language friend, it's "mag" (short for magazine) and not "meg" (short for I'm not sure what but you probably have story to tell about it).

Sep 20, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #55 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Since language is tricky, I would like to know what exactly you were trying to say.

Sorry, I had missed this post. Well, I think I've answered in the post above, anyway! At the start, it was really more subtle than what it seems to have been taken for. I realize that I've touched the forbidden fruit
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #56 of 71
Ray--Congrats on another nice piece of press. Sorry that Romanee's perfectly fine thread got crapped all over with the usual and rather tired responses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
I've decided to just bring my Hornet to the meet in April with my iPod, Jumbo Dock, and ES2's so I can A/B the stock and "M" Hornets. I like mine too much to send it in.

Wakeride--why don't you prove wrong even earlier and show up for the October 14 meet in Marin!? Although none has popped up yet, there will probably be an "M" Hornet around to compare. Food for thought.

Romanee--sorry for the brief thread-jack.
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #57 of 71
I just have to add, on the other side, service-wise I mean: I e-mail Ray in a huff, "Dude, you got 'M' Hornets lying around, need one like yesterday! Not pink..."

"Sure," he writes back. "Got 'em. Not pink..."
But the upgraditis is acute.
"No. Nevermind 'M' Hornets, Ray." I fire back. "XP-7s, no PSU? Urgent!"
"No prob," is Ray's reply.
"Doood!" I scream, "I'm leaving town in 11.2 days, got to ship in 11.1 or sooner."
"I'm on it," is Ray.
"Ohmigod, Ray, Ray, Ray ... got to the AD797 in place of the stock op-amp!!!!!"
"Done," says Ray.

And so it was.

Dude is like a rock star, like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs rolled into one. His product is unique, superb, affordable and, unlike Dr Xin's (another major league gentleman), available.

Why's he got to put up with this foolishness?
Yet, he does.
He ships in perfect timing, modded XP-7, charges me not a sous for the priority shipping.

A genius *and* a perfect gentlemen.

Kids ... we got lucky with this guy:wink:

Andy

S

Sep 20, 2006 at 7:44 AM Post #58 of 71
AndyKatz - Amen, and peace for you all.
tongue.gif

Sep 20, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #59 of 71
Ray congrats on well deserved praise as an owner of the Hornet it's a great little amp IMHO. While I want the M Mod I think I'll let you catch up with demand before I send it in. I can't wait to see them get blown away with your Raptor when they review it.

Sep 20, 2006 at 2:35 PM Post #60 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron
Ray--Congrats on another nice piece of press. Sorry that Romanee's perfectly fine thread got crapped all over with the usual and rather tired responses.

Wakeride--why don't you prove wrong even earlier and show up for the October 14 meet in Marin!? Although none has popped up yet, there will probably be an "M" Hornet around to compare. Food for thought.

Romanee--sorry for the brief thread-jack.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
Howdy, Pard' If it's Hornet biz it's hardly off-target -- whereas my attempts at whimsy -- well, humor's healthy, at least.

Remember -- if you get an "M" for the meet, it's got to have 350-400 hrs on it or it won't be optimal -- especially the lows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back