Stereophile September - Hornet - Rave Review by Sam Tellig
Sep 18, 2006 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 71

Romanee

Headphoneus Supremus
I only just received the September Stereophile in the mail this weekend, and Sam Tellig has written a rave, if fairly brief, review of the Hornet in "Sam's Column". I haven't been able to find it on their site (if someone locates the article, post the link), and I don't wish to present copyrighted material here, so I'll recommend you get a copy to read, if you're curious.

Sam was so impressed by Wes Phillips enthusiasm in the eNewsletter writeup of the Hornet, that he "knew he had to have a Hornet...), and he was equally impressed with the tiny amp. After listening with his Sony D-EJ100, and then a cheap Sony portable from Wal-Mart, he finally connected it to the Atoll CD200 and Rega Apollo CD pleyers, and stated that the Hornet sounded better than the headphone output of the Atoll PR300 preamp.

Most of the article was describing the marvelous physical and technical attributes, and I just paraphrased a tiny bit of what he wrote. He ends noting that he's anxiously awaiting a review sample of the latest Raptor -- and that in the meanwhile he's already in headphone heaven.

A great tribute.

Ray - did Sam hear the "M" Hornet, and did he hear a fully-matured unit (350+ hours)?

I would like to have seen a more thorough review, ala the 6 Moons review of the original Hornet. Perhaps 6 Moons will revisit the Hornet since the "M" mod has so significantly addressed the few shortcomings they felt limited the original (Nichicon cap) version, such as the soundstage width and depth, and HF extension and detail, and has, to my tastes, turned the Hornet into a truly superb amp. What's left for me, of course, is to do a thorough writeup of my own wholly subjective impressions.

Two very positive reviews from Stereophile.

Congratulations, Ray!

Sep 18, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 71
Thanks for the "Heads" up!

Btw, you aren't really surprised are you?
wink.gif

Tuarreg

Sep 18, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 71
eh, just bought it to read that article. the june enewsletter article (free on the website) is better, imo. good stuff for ray though, either way. sorry to get carried away...

Sep 18, 2006 at 1:30 PM Post #5 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
I only just received the September Stereophile in the mail this weekend, and Sam Tellig has written a rave, if fairly brief, review of the Hornet in "Sam's Column". I haven't been able to find it on their site (if someone locates the article, post the link), and I don't wish to present copyrighted material here, so I'll recommend you get a copy to read, if you're curious.

Sam was so impressed by Wes Phillips enthusiasm in the eNewsletter writeup of the Hornet, that he "knew he had to have a Hornet...), and he was equally impressed with the tiny amp. After listening with his Sony D-EJ100, and then a cheap Sony portable from Wal-Mart, he finally connected it to the Atoll CD200 and Rega Apollo CD pleyers, and stated that the Hornet sounded better than the headphone output of the Atoll PR300 preamp.

Most of the article was describing the marvelous physical and technical attributes, and I just paraphrased a tiny bit of what he wrote. He ends noting that he's anxiously awaiting a review sample of the latest Raptor -- and that in the meanwhile he's already in headphone heaven.

A great tribute.

Ray - did Sam hear the "M" Hornet, and did he hear a fully-matured unit (350+ hours)?

I would like to have seen a more thorough review, ala the 6 Moons review of the original Hornet. Perhaps 6 Moons will revisit the Hornet since the "M" mod has so significantly addressed the few shortcomings they felt limited the original (Nichicon cap) version, such as the soundstage width and depth, and HF extension and detail, and has, to my tastes, turned the Hornet into a truly superb amp. What's left for me, of course, is to do a thorough writeup of my own wholly subjective impressions.

Two very positive reviews from Stereophile.

Congratulations, Ray!

Hi Romanee...
I shipped the "M" Hornet to Mr. Tellig with a good 100 hours on it & let him do the rest of the burn-in. Though I was a little dissapointed as Stereophile requested high resolution digital pictures of all colored Hornets for that article, so I got them some very fast, but none was published.
The October issue of the Stereophile meg, which is yet to appear on the news stand, has selected the Hornet as a "recommended components of year 2006". In the same issue, Mr. John Atkinson, cheaf executive of the Stereophile meg, in his review of the UE-10, he loved the "Ultimste Ears" driven by his Hornet and his old ipod.

Sam has the Raptor for a month now, he will write a full review in the Sereophile meg soon.

Mr. Robert Harley, owner & chief aditor, of the "Absolute Sound" has a fully burned-in "M" Hornet, He will be writing a full review which will be coming soon.

Mr. Wayne Donnely, from "Enjoy The Music" has a fully burned-in, "M" Hornet, he will be coming with his review very soon.

Mr. Jeff Dorgay, chief aditor/owner of the "Tone Audio" web site, has a fully burned-in "M" Hornet, his review will be out October 1st.
Ray Samuels

Sep 18, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 71
must...send in...hornet...this week for "M" mods! great press, congrats Ray!

Sep 18, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 71
Ray...

CONGRADULATIONS!!!!

I purchased two "M" hornets from you earlier this month...but unfortunately I had to leave for work before they arrived (I ordered in the morning and was advised that you sent the units out midday...postal and border delays
rolleyes.gif
)

So after reading the Stereophile artice, I am now more than ever I am looking forward to hearing the unit.

I plan to "burn" one in fully (as Romanee states 350 hours) and leave one as it was shipped (it is a gift for Christmas).

I am looking forward to hearing what the sound difference will be with a "used" compared to a "virgin" "M" hornet

Thanks for all your help, service and expertise...I will be back in the future for a desk amp...raptor?

Sep 18, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by 883dave
...I plan to "burn" one in fully (as Romanee states 350 hours) and leave one as it was shipped (it is a gift for Christmas).

I am looking forward to hearing what the sound difference will be with a "used" compared to a "virgin" "M" hornet

I look forward to reading your own personal findings, comparing out-of-box to "burned in".

Enjoy!

Sep 18, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 71
Romanee,

Did you just start your Stereophile subscription? If not, your post office is way behind--I just got my Oct issue (Recommended Components issue Ray referred to above). I know when you start a subscription, magazines will often send you an old issue, followed up the next day with the latest issue.

Sep 18, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 71
Stereophile likes Ray Samuels products, ain't it?

Sep 18, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1Turbo
Romanee,

Did you just start your Stereophile subscription? If not, your post office is way behind--I just got my Oct issue (Recommended Components issue Ray referred to above). I know when you start a subscription, magazines will often send you an old issue, followed up the next day with the latest issue.

I figured this was really late. I re-started my subscription nearly 2 months ago (? I'm terrible with dates...). Hopefully I'll get Oct. issue soon.

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #12 of 71
I will also love Ray Samuels if I get a Hornet for free
eggosmile.gif

and I will also promise to write something about it although I am not sure where.
But there are a lot of German iPod and Hi-Fi forums who are in need of enlightment!

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #13 of 71
i believe Romanee's Hornet is a tester unit, just like his Portaphile. In fact, he asked Xin for a Supermacro tester too, but because of the backlog of production there was no tester unit available. Romanee gets to use those portable amps for free, it's true, but in turn he writes some crazy reviews here and has legit cred for having a nice set of earpipes and the experience to go with it. plus, he shows up at all the NYC meets with those rigs so we all get a crack at em too. honestly, i'd personally see it as a pain to juggle so many portable amps and give them a fair shot, but Romanee manages it very well and I couldn't pick a better guy to do it.

my portable amp purchase/trade journey goes like this - cmoy, SR71, CHA47(borrowed), Supermacro V1 (borrowed), cmoy, AE-1, Hornet. I always have to rob Peter to pay Paul, unfortunately. Romanee is one of the few folks out there with more than one portable amp at a time who can give honest comparos back to back, which is invaluable for head-fi info. If he doesn't like it, he'll say so, and say why. If he likes it, he'll say so, and say why. We might not agree with him, but hey, it's definitely signal and not noise, so that always benefits the S/N Ratio here
tongue.gif
]

Edit - oh and of course Romanee eventually will have to give em all back. That's the heartbreaker right there!

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #14 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton
eggosmile.gif

and I will also promise to write something about it although I am not sure where.
But there are a lot of German iPod and Hi-Fi forums who are in need of enlightment!

dr.morton...Mr. Sam Tellik, heard about the Hornet reading Mr. Wes Philip's short review on Stereophile site, he called me & purchased the amp just like any other person does.
He paid by a check that arrived within 2 days. I shipped him the "M" Hornet, never thinking that I am getting any review. After few weeks I was informed by Stereophile that Mr. Sam Tellig has written a short review & they requested some pictures.
Yes, I do have some reviewers from all around the world, requesting a review sample & they intend to keep the amp after the review with out paying for it, I just ignore their request, as I feel that I woun't be happy reading some ones review knowing I gave him a freeby Hornet. Many German web site e-mailed me for review sample I declined their request.
Ray Samuels

Sep 18, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #15 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton
eggosmile.gif

The loaner I have from Ray will be returned to Ray. I have somewhat abused his courtesy and am way overdue writing a Head-fi review. After the long "burn in" period of the original Hornet, while I was pondering how to address the divergent tastes and possible views of the original Hornet, Ray created the "M" mod. I sent back the original, which Ray revised to the current "M" mod, which completed it's approximately 400-hr. "burn in"/maturing/stabilization process last week, and I've been posting small bite-sized impressions in various threads, but haven't yet written a comprehensive review. I'm not a pro reviewer, but rather a graphic designer (and former musician&actor) with a busy and complicated life, but I do write as I can, "in fits and starts...".

Once I've written and posted a review I will send the amp back to Ray (thank you Ray).

With the Portaphile(s), I beta-tested and returned quite a handful of different versions (some successful and some works-in-progress). I own the current version that I have.

I can only hope that my finances keep improving so that I can purchase my own "M" Hornet. With all the colors, I still don't know which color I'd prefer!?! (I once suggested to Ray a nice custom case of Platinum, with Rhodium & Gold custom [inlaid] art of my own design and diamond accents -- on the knobs and switches, of course -- after I win a Mega Millions jackpot.)

I also have -- on loan from friend jjcha -- SR-71, AE-1 & Coda; had Tyll's MicroStack+DesktopModule for a bit; a PA2V2 loaner from Gary; a Portaphile X3 on extended loan from Cesar which I make available at meets but don't use much myself except to check and advise anyone with questions about it; would love to borrow a PRII and the current Xin amps, and whatever else is out there worth hearing; still have an A.N.T. Amber available for audition; have loan of Machead's RP6-DQ, EMP, Aria, RKV-MkII+EC/DC, K701, HD650/Equinox, HD600/BlueDragon + some cables (had his O2+Egmont & M3 for a bit, & burned-in his NOS DT880-2003); had loaners from Dusty at CIA (VHP-1 +VDA-1); AOS Flute; Shellbrook Supermini/Maxi-Pro-Sig/Ascent Sig; Lan's DAC-1, SA1000-3000-5000; Firestone-Audio Cute amps & DACs; Z-Audio portables; etc. Some I wrote about, some I didn't (for various reasons).

I've been very fortunate to have had some great gear made available for me to hear and compare, by very generous (and trusting) friends. Thanks All (including any I didn't mention).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back