'Stereophile' review of the Little Dot MKIII
Apr 19, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 50
On April 14, after getting Stereophile from mailbox, reading, then read review of Little Dot. Figure: $200. cheap, and with the review, they are all gonna sell out. So I rush to eBay, find, buy.
So one is on it's way to me (hopefully) soon.
I can then compare it to the Singlepower MPX3 I just got. Interesting comparo...

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #4 of 50
Uh.... you guys do know that Stereophile never gives negative reviews, right? How can you trust an "objective" magazine that gives every piece of gear, even down to resonance footers, a good review? That was obvious to me when I first picked up the mag, and I did't know anything about hi-fi. I"m not saying anything about the little dot, just that Stereophile reviews are worthless.

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh.... you guys do know that Stereophile never gives negative reviews, right? How can you trust an "objective" magazine that gives every piece of gear, even down to resonance footers, a good review? That was obvious to me when I first picked up the mag, and I did't know anything about hi-fi. I"m not saying anything about the little dot, just that Stereophile reviews are worthless.

do you ever see them reviewing any bad equipments? all equipments appeared in the magazine are at least decent if not the best.

Apr 19, 2010 at 5:15 AM Post #6 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do you ever see them reviewing any bad equipments? all equipments appeared in the magazine are at least decent if not the best.

Yes, this is a completely stupid policy. I can't see how this magazine can be any help to consumers if everything is simply "great" or "more great." The fact is, a good review is worthless without any bad reviews. The very word "good" requires something else to be "bad." But in Stereophile's world, nothing is. So it's basically just a big glossy catalog for advertisers. That's fine for fantasy reading, but I wouldn't buy a product based on the marketer's blurb for it. That's all a stereophile review is, just a big advertisement. Would you read consumer reports if every product it reviewed was recommended?

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 50
I have to agree with tvrboy. I would never base a purchasing decision on a review in an audio rag, especially the glossy referred to here. Advertising shill, in my view, nothing more.

Apr 19, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 50
I've recently read negative reviews on Stereophile (of some Totem loudspeakers and a Bryston power-amp).
I hope it's indicative of a change in their policy - though I would never base my purchasing decision on a review either.
On the other hand, I do take measurements under serious consideration and that is an area where Stereophile is good at, or at least better than the non-existent competition.

Apr 19, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #9 of 50
I trust reviews from Head-Fi more than the magazines..

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe you should read the reviews on the Totem Forest or the Bryston new amp Fremer reviewed. They call it like they see it both those reviews were not favorable. They were spot on on the Litlle Dot amp.

Apr 19, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #13 of 50
They review this?
tongue.gif

afbeelding006ks8.jpg

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 50
Interesting points about 'Stereophile'. I've never subscribed, but only purchased a few issues periodically over the years. Even if they don't publish many negative reviews, this doesn't totally discredit them in my humble opinion. Many audio enthusiasts just want to know about the good stuff. That's fine by me.

As a fan of relatively inexpensive, but great sounding gear, and user of the MKIII (no affiliation with their company), I can attest to it's 'bang per buck' sonic abilities. Even my 'audio snob' cousin who has Audio Research and VTL equipment was floored when I invited him over to listen to my new tubed preamp, which I did not disclose to him until after the half hour listening session (I had it behind a folded cardboard sheet)! His response was, "I'm shocked at how great this thing sounds". Of course, it could be just 'synergistic luck', but I know the MKIII itself helps bring out the best of my system, especially those Magnepans.

Here is a video of my setup- enjoy!

YouTube - McIntosh system with tubed preamp

Apr 19, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by CQ DX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting points about 'Stereophile'. I've never subscribed, but only purchased a few issues periodically over the years. Even if they don't publish many negative reviews, this doesn't totally discredit them in my humble opinion. Many audio enthusiasts just want to know about the good stuff. That's fine by me.

As a fan of relatively inexpensive, but great sounding gear, and user of the MKIII (no affiliation with their company), I can attest to it's 'bang per buck' sonic abilities. Even my 'audio snob' cousin who has Audio Research and VTL equipment was floored when I invited him over to listen to my new tubed preamp, which I did not disclose to him until after the half hour listening session (I had it behind a folded cardboard sheet)! His response was, "I'm shocked at how great this thing sounds". Of course, it could be just 'synergistic luck', but I know the MKIII itself helps bring out the best of my system, especially those Magnepans.

Here is a video of my setup- enjoy!

YouTube - McIntosh system with tubed preamp

I loked at the hard Y and still confused. I have a preamp out that I can put my interconnects in and a input to my amp but how would I connect the single sub cable to it. Can you explain how you did that with more detail as I would like to try it but I want to use the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back