Stereophile Magazine/ Art Dudley reviews Playstation 1
Jun 26, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #61 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know, this only applies to certain model numbers. I wonder if Playstation One counts as well.

I think so, I think they mean the model with built-in RCA output connectors. If you look carefully in the photo below, you'll see AKM DAC chip with nicely laid out setup. Even just judging from the photo, it shouldn't sound too bad.

PSX_mainboard.jpg

(image courtesy of Wikipedia)

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #62 of 94
Just plugged in my 1001 today... I think the laser needs repairing or replacing. On some CDs, it begins to distort during busy moments. It has also skipped a couple times. I pray it's just a laser problem and nothing to do with the output. My roommate will be bringing his 5501 this weekend, I'll get a chance to see evaluate the differences between the versions and check if my 1001 is indeed broken.

On other CDs, it sounds pretty nice. It's relaxed, the soundstage is wider than I expected and it's also more detailed than I expected. Comparos to my modded XCD-88 to continue when some attenuators show up. Already, I like the PS-1 more than my 1212m.

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #64 of 94
I just got my 2nd PS1; and I am still in-love after the honeymoon period.

PS1 gives me goose bumps....and that's something to celebrate about cuz it doesn't happen all that often after a decade in this hobby
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #65 of 94
I love this little player with one exception; it makes a high pitched noise that I pick up during quite passages. This is the player not through the speakers. Listening to "Take Love Easy", Ella sounds wonderful!

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #66 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnsonad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love this little player with one exception; it makes a high pitched noise that I pick up during quite passages. This is the player not through the speakers. Listening to "Take Love Easy", Ella sounds wonderful!

I don't hear that with my 2 samples.....maybe unit specific?

I actually really like solid core IC with PS1...stranded IC messes things up

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #67 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't hear that with my 2 samples.....maybe unit specific?

I actually really like solid core IC with PS1...stranded IC messes things up

Maybe, it sounds like a laser to me (I'm not crazy.... (well not competely)). I can here the laser in my mouse and it has a similar very high pitched constant sound. Maybe it is bearing rub or something like that but it is audible to me and constant when playing. What are you using for SC IC's, home brewed cables?

I've been comparing the PS1 against my Meridian again. I can listen to the PS1 for longer lengths of time without fatigue and with better overal enjoyment but it is less accurate and complete of a sonic picture as compared to the Meridian. I would like a nice in between but don't have it with these CDP's. Right now the PS1 is getting more play time and this is the most of listened to CD's in a while.

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #68 of 94
if you want the ps1 to sound more accurate, try bypassing the output stage from the dac with a high pass filter. i did and it cleaned up the smear quite a bit. with the mod, to me, the ps1 sounds much better with rock and electronic music.

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #69 of 94
I'm going to pick up a second one to mod out once the hype dies down again. I'm in no hurry, plenty to build and with two new vinyl rigs coming, the digital will take back burner for a while
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #71 of 94
I'm curious about something... not trying to be too snarky
biggrin.gif
, but hasn't a lot of space on this website been dedicated to bashing Stereophile? Almost every review of a high end product is laughed at; according to common wisdom, the reviewer is either delusional or has been bribed by the manufacturer. Why is it that the people who used to bash Stereophile are now their biggest fans
confused.gif
confused.gif

I owned one of the original PS1s and am seriously dumbfounded as to why people think it's such a great player. I thought the goal of audiophiles was to have music reproduced as accurately as possible; according to the charts (and my ears) this player is the equivalent of a photographer slapping vaseline on his lens in order to hide the wrinkles on a vain 60 year old (sure, the picture looks good, but you think it's a different person if you see them in the sunlight
eek.gif
). I understand that some people prefer the lo-fi sound (I happen to like a lo-fi sound on guitars and am used to getting laughed at by guitar store employees for putting flat wound strings on my Jaguar), but I think it's very disingenuous to claim that the PS1 is the "equal" of high end CD players.

EDIT--I am a HUGE fan of Stereophile, having read it since the late 80s.

Jul 4, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #73 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I owned one of the original PS1s and am seriously dumbfounded as to why people think it's such a great player. I thought the goal of audiophiles was to have music reproduced as accurately as possible; according to the charts (and my ears) this player is the equivalent of a photographer slapping vaseline on his lens in order to hide the wrinkles on a vain 60 year old (sure, the picture looks good, but you think it's a different person if you see them in the sunlight
eek.gif
). I understand that some people prefer the lo-fi sound (I happen to like a lo-fi sound on guitars and am used to getting laughed at by guitar store employees for putting flat wound strings on my Jaguar), but I think it's very disingenuous to claim that the PS1 is the "equal" of high end CD players.

EDIT--I am a HUGE fan of Stereophile, having read it since the late 80s.

IMHO, having the music as enjoyable as possible might be the key for some, and sometimes reality doesn't matter too much if it all sounds good.

PS: I don't own PS1, but I do hope my PS3 could be quieter. :p

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #74 of 94
Earwicker7, your very own question is the answer to your query. People that normally bash Stereophile for their reviews of expensive ultra high-end components, are now happy to see the Editor in Chief and two major reviewers some raving and others recognizing the high-end sonic virtues of an inexpensive component. I guess it is easy to miss the point of the PlayStation. It is a low price item, but is it low-fi? Evidently, to a lot of respectable reviewers, speaker designers, audiophiles all over the world, it is not. I know, in fact, of many discriminating audiophiles in the US and Germany that are using the PlayStation 1 as their preferred CD playback unit in their $50,000+ systems (I am one of them, and I definitely preferred it over my last high end $5500 transport/DAC update). The PlayStation has a permanent seat in those systems (since 2004 in some cases). Hardly a temporary whim or a weekend audio experiment of temporary delusion.

Yes, it does not measure well but that is the same case as with single ended tube amps. Since earwicker7 claims being a reader of Stereophile since the late 80’s, he certainly should remember a few years back when John Atkinson measured one of Sam Telling’s favorite single ended tube amps and, since it measured so poorly (in comparison to “true” high end amps), to explain the positive and evident audible qualities of the amp, John Atkinson pronounced that amp to be more a tube tone control device than an amp (a generator of pleasant euphonic colorations). Sounds familiar? Following the same logic of labeling a product low-fi because the way it measures, not for the way it sounds, I would say that to equate the thousands of well respected and credited people that can hear and appreciate the evident sonic virtues of single ended tube amps with people that prefer AM radio and 8 channel tape would really be totally disingenuous (to use earwicker7’s own word). The fact is, and John Atkinson knows it, what he measures not necessarily accounts for how a component sounds. There are many factors or variables representing audible qualities for which there are not correlating objective measures.

Now, onto the analogy of a photographer slapping Vaseline on his lens to hide the wrinkles on a vain 60 year old…well, that analogy is both simplistic and severely flawed. Audio reproduction of a musical event is not a simple two-dimensional static endeavor like photography. It is a three-dimensional dynamic event with multiple characteristics determining its quality or appeal. Not even a movie analogy gets close. Perhaps, only three-dimensional image holography may be a fitting analogy. When John Atkinson says that perhaps the sound of the PlayStation is due to distortion that blurs the nasty artifacts of digital audio, he is just surmising. He actually has no clue… he cannot identified what type of distortion (earwicker7’s Vaseline) is the culprit—wouldn’t it be actually more appropriate to say "the benefactor"? In physics and statistics compensating errors or phenomena are not negative factors but positive ones.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #75 of 94
Look at eBay....there are people SPECIFICALLY stating "audiophile" in the title for SCPH-1001.

I remember not even a year ago, you could snag one up on eBay for less than $20 shipped. Infact, I got outbid on one for $16 and decided it was too expensive/hassle for the effort. Now you're looking at $50 BEFORE shipping. Jeez, "the secret is out." lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back