Stereophile Magazine/ Art Dudley reviews Playstation 1
Jun 12, 2008 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

Budgie

Never looks a gift amp in the jackhole.
Reportedly, this July issue includes a favorable review of the PS1. The website for Stereophile does not seem to show the current magazine, going back to April only. (You want the new copy ya gotta buy it. Sorta makes sense I guess).

Anybody read it?

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 94
I haven't read it yet, but Art Dudley is probably my favorite audio reviewer on the Stereophile staff, as he's their resident DIY/analog/tubes guy. I love his columns. I heard something like that he called the PS1 his new digital reference in the July issue, but haven't read the actual article yet. Very curious!

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 94
Yes, they said it sounded good considering the measurements. "Rounded off" and smooth was the impression that they seemed to get.

Jun 13, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they said it sounded good considering the measurements. "Rounded off" and smooth was the impression that they seemed to get.

That's EXACTLY the way I would describe the sound of the PS1 in my system too. Thanks...

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdivider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't read it yet, but Art Dudley is probably my favorite audio reviewer on the Stereophile staff, as he's their resident DIY/analog/tubes guy. I love his columns. I heard something like that he called the PS1 his new digital reference in the July issue, but haven't read the actual article yet. Very curious!

He said something about ... no problem trading his $13k digital source for PS1....I didn't read it all the way through..so...

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 94
Weird. Mine doesn't sound "rounded off". It should, I use cheap cables.
As usual, YMMV, I suppose.

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budgie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Weird. Mine doesn't sound "rounded off". It should, I use cheap cables.
As usual, YMMV, I suppose.

In my system, the PS1 sounds restricted in both the frequency extremes and dynamically. The dynamic compression, especially in the leading edge of treble transient, adds to its perceived "smoothness". It is a very euphonic disc spinner, but I like the way it sounds nonetheless. How would you characterize its sound in your system?

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 94
Smooth, open, and detailed without the "etched' hardness I hear in most digital sources.
I don't suffer listening fatigue using it. Even during long sessions.

I suppose a lot of the sound preferences people have could be dependent on a person's hearing curve and associated equipment.

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 94
accurate, detailed, natural, great bass, transparent

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 94
I've read through it twice and will probably pick one up just to hear it for myself. I'm a fan of Art's writing and his Listening articles. That guy makes me laugh every issue. If anyone has an extra PS1 let me know
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #12 of 94
As far as I know, this only applies to certain model numbers. I wonder if Playstation One counts as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back