Stereophile Magazine/ Art Dudley reviews Playstation 1
Jul 7, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #91 of 94
Wow, this thread sure has some legs!

Well I've been listening to a PS1 for almost a month now, connected to a Classe SSP-600 (analogue bypass mode) and a pair of Classe amps and B&W 800D's. The insane amounts of inputs on the SSP-600 allows me to make easy comparisons between the PS1, CA 840C and also a Classe CDP-300.

I'm still putting together my thoughts on the whole thing but as surprisingly good as the PS1 sounds I would have to describe the sounds from the PS1 as pleasant. The illusion of analogue warmth is definitely there but I could not find a compelling reason (personally) to prefer it over the additional accuracy or resolution of the other digital sources.

Someone mentioned above that the audiophiles were now looking for tone... well I'm not sure if there was a memo put out for that one but regardless I have always felt that tone is closer to a post-processing coloration, particularly if it's not referenced from a foundation of both accuracy and resolution. As I've mentioned before I'd take honesty over tone any day.

Back to the PS1, I must say I really enjoy it but do not prefer it for the reasons mentioned above (and to be covered in detail soon). I just wish some would stick to having confidence in their own opinions rather than citing the same "respected" handful of industry experts to give weight to their argument.

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #92 of 94
White Mike--so that you don't miss the point--this thread was started by Budgie. At some point earwicker7 basically said that Budgie was not qualified to discuss the sonic virtues of the PlayStation since Budgie has never owned a high-end digital player. The references to respected industry experts (by the way, not just a handful, many reviewers and industry experts have been taking notice and using the playstation in their high-end audio systems since 2004), and also to thousands of well heeded audiophiles worldwide, was to illustrate the point that there are plenty of people that own or have easy access to high-end digital players whose opinions about the PlayStation validate Budgie's. Nothing wrong with it. In this planet, as far as I have lived on it, people look for validation of their opinions or beliefs through the similar opinions of experts as well as peers (I magine, the reason why your own posting and this forum have a reason to exist)...religion, scientific thought, political affiliation, art and fashion trends, fan and hobbyist clubs (yes, audio forums), etc., come to my mind as examples of validation through consensus or reliance on higher expertise. If you disagree, that is your prerrogative and I respect it...nothing wrong, I understand people down in Australia are fiercely independent [smile].

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #93 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.larkos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At some point earwicker7 basically said that Budgie was not qualified to discuss the sonic virtues of the PlayStation since Budgie has never owned a high-end digital player.[smile].

No, Budgie said that people who had never listened to a PS1 had no business talking about how it sounds. I asked if it were fair for people who had never listened to a high-end player to talk about how the PS1 sounds just as good as they do. If it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back