Stereophile founder dies
Aug 6, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #16 of 20
Bummer.

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #18 of 20
RIP Gordon!

I went to school with his Son Charles and remember back in the day when he actually came over to my house and helped to tweak my fairly crappy Kef 105s. He was always kind and happy to talk to any enthusiastic audiophile at length, including a novice like I was then.

Somewhere around here I have an autographed copy of the 25th Anniversary Stereophile issue that he gave me. Inside the issue, there is a picture of him wearing old tennis shoes with a suit....that's Gordon! I think I will have to go dig it out!

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:01 PM Post #19 of 20
Holt's Laws, as defined by Stereophile's founder J. Gordon Holt in the 1970s, are:
  • "The better the recording, the worse the performance, and vice versa."
  • "The shriller the advertisement, the worse the product."
  • "Every component is imperfect, and every imperfection is audible."
Gordon's Law #1 underscored my growing dislike of "audiophile" albums that all too frequently served as the defacto demo records in the '70s and '80s. I suggest that all Lincoln Mayorga and Amanda McBroom albums be retired in honor of Gordon.

Aug 14, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gordon's Law #1 underscored my growing dislike of "audiophile" albums that all too frequently served as the defacto demo records in the '70s and '80s. I suggest that all Lincoln Mayorga and Amanda McBroom albums be retired in honor of Gordon.

Amen. I hate that crap. The "wannabe" musicians that are recorded on audiophile labels just to make good sound are useless. I don't mind paying a premium for a great recording of a GREAT album, but the idea we should pay big money for recordings of bad artists just because they sound good is absurd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back