Stereophile founder dies
Jul 21, 2009 at 7:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

BobMcN

100+ Head-Fier
A few minutes after 12 noon mtn time, July 20, 2009 J Gordon Holt passed away in his home in Boulder, Colorado.
A memorial service will be held in a week or two. There will be, of course, martinis and the music of Ralph Vaughn Williams.

Jul 21, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #2 of 20
May he rest in peace.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 20
I still have some JGH (pre atkinson) stereophile too. These guys were the first to ignite my hardcore drooling for audio equipment starting from back in the 1980s

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 20
The oldest I have saved is Aug of 1989. JGH was no longer the editor by then. None the less, this magazine has fueled dreams of better gear for 20 plus yrs now. For better or worse, the subscription has been non stop. Thank you Mr. Holt.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #8 of 20
RIP Gordon... enjoyed many an issue...

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 20
I can still vaguely remember reading JGH's description of David Berning's TF-12 preamp, something like it is so liquid like "a dew on a leaf in the morning ...".
A dedicated audiophile.

RIP JGH.

Jul 22, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #10 of 20
Sad to hear this news. JGH had a huge influence on many an audiophile. For many years before the Internet, Stereophile was THE way I learned about all things audio, and I always enjoyed reading JGH's stuff, even in later years when he was primarily interested in surround-sound for music.

Jul 22, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still have some JGH (pre atkinson) stereophile too. These guys were the first to ignite my hardcore drooling for audio equipment starting from back in the 1980s

Same here. JGH was the man and Stereophile was the mag. There are really only 2 audio mags left that I have any interest in reading and they have both lost their way. The editors of both should go back and read some of the JGH editions and remember what it was all about. RIP JGH. See you on the other side.

Aug 5, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #14 of 20
i just saw this and am very sorry to hear of his passing. Gordon was the man who started the whole business of subjective audio reviews back when Julian Hirsch was busy generating lab numbers and saying how good all the gear he tested was. in so doing he really helped spawn an industry that went well beyond where hi-fi was at then. even with all it's excesses and sometimes specious claims, there's no doubt that the high end has advanced the state of the art, and Gordon had a role in all of this. i met him about 10 years ago at the Stereophile show in L.A. and found him to be a soft spoken and kindly gentleman. thanks for your contributions. we'll miss you Gordon.

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #15 of 20
Don't know how I missed this announcement... Sorry to hear that he is gone. Had boxes and boxes of Stereophile for years! JHG's reviews were the most thoughtful and informative. May his memory be eternal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back