Step up reccomendations from my Bowers and Wilkins P7
Apr 10, 2014 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Juandv9307

New Head-Fier
Hello, as the thread says, I'm in the search for a complement or step-up headphones from my beloved P7, so far I love it's sound, coming from a sennheiser momentum over ear, amperior and hd25, I just feel I get more of everything, I can feel where the instruments are, it's soundstage is amazing, I can hear more detail and just overall I love everything about this headphone apart from its sometimes ear fatiguing (ear piercing sometimes) treble.

So far I was considering the sennheiser HD650, beyerdynamic dt990, hifiman he400 and dt880 but I went today to try them from a very good amp (can't remeber right now) and wasn't very impressed, the overall hp that I liked the most was the hd650, it felt more airy sound, more natural (i think thats the word) but I still think they are missing a little bit more impact, not really what I was expecting, I was expecting more soundstage and detail (maybe), and right now I don't really have the money to go in the megabucks amps to drive them to their full potential.

What I listen most often right now is Pink Floyd and Led Zeppeling, mixed with some classical, latin and edm.
I feel that for my more bass-heavy music I can use my P7's.
so all In all, I want something below lets say $600 to be a complement or a step-up.
I was taking a look at the Fostex TH-600 and Final Audio Pandora (closed back) how do those closed back hp's stack up against open back's like the mentioned above? 
(also I heard the Sony MDR-7520 and really liked them a lot)
My overall sound preference is fun more over analytical but without forgetting detail and soundstage, I'm open to all suggestions.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 4
It sounds like you enjoyed the open back models you tried. I'd probably keep exploring that avenue. Maybe a Grado PS500 as it won't cost a fortune to amp. But, as always, I'd definitely see if you can audition one before buying.

Edit: I read your post wrong. You mention you like the wider soundstage but don't particularly like any open-back you tried. Confused me, I guess.

Apr 13, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 4
  It sounds like you enjoyed the open back models you tried. I'd probably keep exploring that avenue. Maybe a Grado PS500 as it won't cost a fortune to amp. But, as always, I'd definitely see if you can audition one before buying.

Edit: I read your post wrong. You mention you like the wider soundstage but don't particularly like any open-back you tried. Confused me, I guess.

I liked it's more airy sound, but didnt really feel much difference in the soundstage deparment, I don't know if that makes sense 
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back