Step up from HD650s?
Oct 28, 2015 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

enormo

New Head-Fier
I really like my 650's (warm, and fluid, with great mids) but I've got "the itch" and a little more discretionary income so I want to take a step up in performance. I searched and found some recommendations from around 2012 and they all point to the LCD-2. With the headphone market deepening I was wondering if there were more options on the market with a similar sound signature that I should look into.

Oct 28, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 11
LCD-2 is still the best bet IHMO. Most other flagships will have brighter treble that takes away from the warmth.

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm a the same boat as you although I don't want to part with my HD650, they are staying with me 
smile.gif
 Personally I don't really think there is currently anything in the market that's a natural upgrade from HD650 although there are a few who has said the Nighthawk is exactly that. There are also people who say LCD-2 is an upgrade but I don't agree with that at all.
HD800S has just been announced but it looks like they just fixed the faults the HD800 had rather than come out with a new headphone, I could be wrong though since not much has been said yet. I'm still waiting for the HD850. Sennheiser has been a sleeping giant for some time now and I'm sure they have something up their sleeves.

What I'm doing now is putting together a good system that I can live with for a long time without the urge to upgrade and then wait for a headphone that will be an upgrade for the HD650. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #4 of 11
I was thinking of getting Fostex TH900 but thanks to Youth I changed my mind. I really can't tell the difference between my headphones and an expensive headphones seem redundant and it is a good decision too.

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #5 of 11
The Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3 are a natural upgrade over the HD 650.  Definitely get the LCD-2, and maybe upgrade some other parts in your audio chain as well?

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #6 of 11
  I really like my 650's (warm, and fluid, with great mids) but I've got "the itch" and a little more discretionary income so I want to take a step up in performance. I searched and found some recommendations from around 2012 and they all point to the LCD-2. With the headphone market deepening I was wondering if there were more options on the market with a similar sound signature that I should look into.

If you like HD650 then upgrade your chain instead. Not sure what's your current setup, but there's plenty of good stuff around. 
You should consider Schiit Gungnir MB + Schiit Valhalla 2

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 11
  The Audeze LCD-2 and LCD-3 are a natural upgrade over the HD 650.  Definitely get the LCD-2, and maybe upgrade some other parts in your audio chain as well?

+1 Yeah i agree too, but the fazor versions are now more on the neutral side.
  I'm a the same boat as you although I don't want to part with my HD650, they are staying with me 
smile.gif
 Personally I don't really think there is currently anything in the market that's a natural upgrade from HD650 although there are a few who has said the Nighthawk is exactly that. There are also people who say LCD-2 is an upgrade but I don't agree with that at all.
HD800S has just been announced but it looks like they just fixed the faults the HD800 had rather than come out with a new headphone, I could be wrong though since not much has been said yet. I'm still waiting for the HD850. Sennheiser has been a sleeping giant for some time now and I'm sure they have something up their sleeves.

What I'm doing now is putting together a good system that I can live with for a long time without the urge to upgrade and then wait for a headphone that will be an upgrade for the HD650. 

Well as a lcd 2 and hd650 owner i have to parcially disagre. They are actually similar, the vocals on both are great and the sound is non fatiguing at all in both, even in more compressed tracks.
Though the recent releases of audeze seem to be more on the neutral side, so the hd650s are darker compared to them. Then there is the fact that lcd 2 is faster and hd650 is more musical. 

+1 to the fact that hd650 is a headphone to keep. :wink:

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 11
  +1 Yeah i agree too, but the fazor versions are now more on the neutral side.
Well as a lcd 2 and hd650 owner i have to parcially disagre. They are actually similar, the vocals on both are great and the sound is non fatiguing at all in both, even in more compressed tracks.
Though the recent releases of audeze seem to be more on the neutral side, so the hd650s are darker compared to them. Then there is the fact that lcd 2 is faster and hd650 is more musical. 

+1 to the fact that hd650 is a headphone to keep. :wink:

We will have to agree to disagree then 
wink.gif
 Except from your last sentence!

Oct 30, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #9 of 11
We will have to agree to disagree then :wink:  Except from your last sentence!

Always learning new expressions here!
Didn't know what 'agree to disagree' really meant. Like always i'm just sharing, i know this is subjective. :)

In my opinion i think its hard that there will be a real sucessor to HD650. Even in the next years. It's a unique HP, with unique status.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #10 of 11
If you like HD650 then upgrade your chain instead. Not sure what's your current setup, but there's plenty of good stuff around. 
You should consider Schiit Gungnir MB + Schiit Valhalla 2

+1. HD650's are great 'phones that'll scale well with source/amp upgrades...if you like them, upgrading your DAC and amp will probably give you the "same but better" sound you're after.

Oct 31, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 11
+1. HD650's are great 'phones that'll scale well with source/amp upgrades...if you like them, upgrading your DAC and amp will probably give you the "same but better" sound you're after.

+1. If you're in cables then upgrading that would technically be a "step up" as well.

I agree with what most people have said here, the HD650 is truly (or will be) a highly revered headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back