::::Steggy's 2nd roundup review, featuring 10 Headsets and Headphones::::
Apr 10, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great writeup, although it's a shame you didn't get into any really good headphones and stuck to lower end stuff and headsets/IEMs. That really limited the project to me at least, because in general after gaming with a really good pair of headphones, headsets in general just get thrown into the "crap" category by me, and IEMs for gaming just makes me laugh, sure the left/right is great, but there is no separation outside of left and right.

In my first review I reviewed Grado Sr80's/HD595's/Hd650's/Ax720's/PC350's/A40's/HPX. Though I'd hope my execution with this review far exceeded my last one haha.

But yea, with IEM's there isn't that much of a 3dness to the sound. Dolby Headphone helps a bit with them, but barely. The sound only would affect you in FPS's, but if you are gaming on the go, IEM's are better than onboard speakers. If you have good quality ones, games like WOW or CS can sound really nice and just make you forget about everything around you.

But like I said in the last post, for my next reviews I am doing the Psyko's which theoretically sound like they'll be quite nice, then I'm going to try to do a review on the PC360 and EDGE GX400 if I'm able.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great writeup, although it's a shame you didn't get into any really good headphones and stuck to lower end stuff and headsets/IEMs. That really limited the project to me at least, because in general after gaming with a really good pair of headphones, headsets in general just get thrown into the "crap" category by me, and IEMs for gaming just makes me laugh, sure the left/right is great, but there is no separation outside of left and right.

he did cover a lot of low end items, but he also covered everything (for the most part) that google shows when someone looking for a headsets punches in his search query.

and while the AD700's might be cheap, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find anything in the ballpark that competes with it's detail, clarity, and soundstage.... i've recently switched to the k702's, and while it's slightly better in nearly every respect (aside from SS and comfort), i wouldnt say it's $200 better...

and while i'm sure by now companies are sending product to steggy for review, i'm also sure that he doesnt have the cash to run out and buy up everything at once for a review....even if all 10 sets were given to him i'd imagine it's quite a deal of work righting a writeup and video on all 10 of them.

kudos steggy, i've read your stuff before and will continue to read future reviews... i'll also recommend portions of them to people who continually ask me about gaming setups.... and i'd like to see your take on k702+mixamp sometime, if you ever get a chance
k701smile.gif

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #18 of 35
This needs a sticky if I ever seen one.. Steggy has the passion of both gaming and headphones. Try to get the MDR F1.. Light as a feather They'r horizontal SS width and depth easily surpasses the 701/AD700. Only negative, and this is picky. I'd recommend testing higher end phones like the 601/701/SA5000, and my numero uno, DT880

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #19 of 35
Thank you for all of the comments guys. One of the reasons I did go for the lower end headsets was because I was trying to look at it from a consumer's POV where you'd want a complete package for voice comm. and hearing game noises. In the past on mlg, users including myself would be so quick to answer "which headset is good" with "go for a headphone and adapters X Y Z and X Y Z and ...." instead. But a lot of consumers don't want the more complicated setups, and go for the convenience of the AIO of a headset over the quality of a headphone turned headset. So while most headsets still can't touch 555/595/AD700's, they provide the easy and complete setup that would require more investment if you were to go with the headphones. Idk, I just wanted to give more variety this time around.

And Kool, I'd love to try out the 880 05 from Beyer, or perhaps the holy grail headset the MMX 300, but I never got replies from Beyerdynamic when I tried contacting them, so it appears like it would be a no go. I can always try again at some point though, and I probably will once I let this roundup sit for a little while haha

Apr 10, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #20 of 35
i'd like to hear impressions on the MMX300 as well, especially compared to the DT770 (others have said they're the same headset, only beyer charges a lot of money for a microphone
biggrin.gif
)

Steggy, you should also look into the newest AVS 360 trend, adding microphones and an all-in-one cable onto headphones with removable cables (no actual cup modding needed)... they've been terminating to 3.5mmx2, 4pole (for mixamp) and the occasional 1/4x1 3.5mmx1... i've got one for my AKG K702 on the way, and another guy is actually adding a mini-xlr and detachable cable to his AD700.

e083bf7f.jpg
MonMar08160305EST2010.jpg

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by xformulax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and while the AD700's might be cheap, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find anything in the ballpark that competes with it's detail, clarity, and soundstage.... i've recently switched to the k702's, and while it's slightly better in nearly every respect (aside from SS and comfort), i wouldnt say it's $200 better...

I agree for gaming the AD700 are great, there is better but after you hit the point of the AD700s there is nothing that is leaps and bounds better. Now of course if you're looking at it from a music AND gaming standpoint, there is better, but for purely gaming there's only a few headphones that are better.

Of the cans I've gamed with (CEVO-M CSS with a little local LAN experience here and there, for reference to the level I compete at), the DT880s were the best, closely followed by the D5000s with Lawton cups and J$ pads (essentially the same thing as my new cans without markl mod, I'll let you guys know what I think of the new ones when they arrive). The K701s were nice but like you said, not very much better than the AD700s.

An alternative to the AD700s is the AD900s. They aren't any better for gaming, but as an all around headphone are much better as they aren't nearly as lacking in bass.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by xformulax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd like to hear impressions on the MMX300 as well, especially compared to the DT770 (others have said they're the same headset, only beyer charges a lot of money for a microphone
biggrin.gif
)

Steggy, you should also look into the newest AVS 360 trend, adding microphones and an all-in-one cable onto headphones with removable cables (no actual cup modding needed)... they've been terminating to 3.5mmx2, 4pole (for mixamp) and the occasional 1/4x1 3.5mmx1... i've got one for my AKG K702 on the way, and another guy is actually adding a mini-xlr and detachable cable to his AD700.

e083bf7f.jpg
MonMar08160305EST2010.jpg

MLG actually has a trend, but I like it a bit better :p.

I think fragtality posted his mic attachment thread here, which is plenty fine for thos who don't want to void warranties, but a user from MLG named Tommybwoy started doing these mods like a year ago, and they are just fantastic.

This was his first attempt at it. he has since then perfected it IMO
hmod2.jpg

I will be getting a pair of AD700's done by him at some point so I can sort of show them off on Youtube to let people know about the awesome mod. I'm going to have it terminated in the 4-pole 3.5mm jack, because that way, when the microphone is taken out, it looks like a normal headphone that can be used as such. Then all you need is the astro mixamp and the microphone plugged in and you have a headset. And he'll include a 4-pole to 2x 3.5mm adapter so you can use it easily on the PC(it's been an idea i had for a while since he first started doing his mod with the 2x 3.5mm ends, but Ima leave it to him to do the art :p

Apr 10, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #23 of 35
yea, steggy, i've seen all those, and my ad700's have had the fragtality mod more than a year before fragtality did
wink.gif

the great thing about using an AKG, or something with mini xlr or detachable cable is ZERO drilling, modification, etc.... my k702's will have a gaming cable, a short silver dap cable, and a long desktop cable.... all very cheap, all zero modding and zero warranty issues
smily_headphones1.gif

i'll also be doing my own AD700's... full mogami recable, integrated mic and an internal 4pole connector for a completely removable cable and mic.

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:05 AM Post #24 of 35
Yea, the AKG mod is certainly cool. But since I don't have that luxury, I'll just be having the tommybwoy mod. I don't really wanna F anything up with my HD595's but I'll have Ad700's modded up no probs ha

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #25 of 35
budump

Apr 20, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #26 of 35
So I've been realizing that at the moment the A30's are my favorite headset right now. It is very close with the HPX, but the A30's are just so much more portable and easier to drive compared to the HPX. I'll hopefully get to test the pc 360 at some point, but before then, current fav = a30

Apr 24, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #28 of 35
I dunno. I have Grados, so I know how uncomfortable supra aural can get, but the A30's are pretty damn comfy.

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #29 of 35
Awesome review Steggy! I don't think you've made a clear point as to which you consider the best for gaming. So, what would they be (headphone or headset)? Also, look forward to your review of the DT880 and especially the Psykos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back