Steak-Fi
Jun 20, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #46 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuberoller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm! Steak is lovely.

I cook my own steaks and I buy most of my steaks from a butcher shop. I have also found the steaks at Costco to be very good. I was told that Costco employs real butchers and has a meat buyer. That makes sense.

I always buy my steaks early in the day as the pro chefs come and snap up all the best cuts first thing.

I've had Costco steak a few times now and can attest to it. Nothing phenomenal but certainly up there with higher-end grocery store butchers and for a great price - AAA grade, too. I typically prefer to see a butcher as well, but as you said, those are the joints that get their best stuff snatched up by the pros; If I can't make it out early enough, it's nice to have other options that aren't terrible.

Gahd, now I'm getting hungry. The day someone comes up with a red meat diet that can be proven healthy is the day I buy some longhorn and head out to Texas. And sorry folks, those babies aren't for sale. They're private reserve.
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #47 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep trying to find a steak I like better than a filet at Ruth's Chris. Nothing yet.

blessingx, you're located in SF right? If you like prime rib, you've got to check out House of Prime Rib!

Also Tubroller, I agree with the Costco recommendation. What I like is that they'll have thick cuts of sirloin or ribeye too, depending on what the butcher feels like. Good quality at great prices.

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #49 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one that likes his meat well-done?

Unless you're talking about pork; yes.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #50 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had Costco steak a few times now and can attest to it. Nothing phenomenal but certainly up there with higher-end grocery store butchers and for a great price - AAA grade, too. I typically prefer to see a butcher as well, but as you said, those are the joints that get their best stuff snatched up by the pros; If I can't make it out early enough, it's nice to have other options that aren't terrible.

Gahd, now I'm getting hungry. The day someone comes up with a red meat diet that can be proven healthy is the day I buy some longhorn and head out to Texas. And sorry folks, those babies aren't for sale. They're private reserve.
wink.gif

Anytime my parents have gotten meat from Costco, its always been delicious. Lately I think theyve been getting meat from HEB and it hasnt been that great...

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #51 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anytime my parents have gotten meat from Costco, its always been delicious. Lately I think theyve been getting meat from HEB and it hasnt been that great...

I work at Coscto. Our meat is pretty good, but here in Arizona there is better steak to be had at our supermarkets. Both the major chains (Safeway, and Fry's) have excellent aged angus beef that I even like better than the delicious cornfed beef I've had in the Midwest.

My family just had a huge BBQ for Father's Day and we got an entire rib eye section cut into 8 1" rib eyes and 5 1.75" rib eyes. We also got some nice aged top sirloin for the people that didn't want a red fatty steak. The big steaks were for the dads and all of them like rare to medium rare steaks. I got the only thick one that wasn't taken by a dad *licks lips*. As far as seasoning goes, this caliber of steaks needs nothing more than a little salt and pepper. I couldn't imagine ruining the flavor with a marinade or a steak seasoning of some sort.

My favorite cut is either a porterhouse or the top half of a porterhouse, the NY Strip. If I'm having a NY Strip I like them extra thick (1.5" or bigger). I love rib eyes too, and I also prefer those thicker.

I must say that I've enjoyed a steak or two cooked on a char-coal grill, but for the most part I stick with Hank Hill. Cooking on a clean burning propane grill doesn't add any unecessary flavor to a steak that already has enough of it's own. Don't cook on butane though, it's a person gas.

*EDIT* - Forgot to mention that last night we made up some awesome Beef Stroganoff with the leftover meat. If you've never had beef stroganoff made with leftover aged angus beef, I suggest you try it immediately.

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #52 of 86
Americans know how to eat beef, that's for sure. My Dad is a steak fiend, which has been passed on to me. He used to send me to the butcher counter to get steaks, and when I asked for striploins cut 2" thick the butcher would always look at me like I had two heads! I get the feeling that would not happen in much of the USA.

Jun 20, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #53 of 86
Something tells me an Albertan would have a different opinion!
wink.gif

Regarding butcher cuts, I find it rare to see striploin less than 3/4" thick and, in fact, they're normally closer to 1 or 1.5" where I tend to buy meat. NEVER 2" though, but can be requested.

I seem to be in the minority here, liking strips the best. Far and away my favourite cut.

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #56 of 86
i remember that the italians have this thing for veals.....

anyone know of good restaurants that serve them in north america?

Jul 10, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #57 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i remember that the italians have this thing for veals.....

anyone know of good restaurants that serve them in north america?

You will find good veal in any high end Italian restaurant. If you have any true Italian friends, score yourself an invite to their mother's house for supper.

*edit* I just noticed you are in Toronto. Try...

Bellini's at 101 Yorkville Ave.
Il Mulino 1060 Eglinton Ave. W.
Mistura Restaurant 265 Davenport Rd.
Era Ora Ristorante 137 Avenue Rd.

Jul 11, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #58 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will find good veal in any high end Italian restaurant. If you have any true Italian friends, score yourself an invite to their mother's house for supper.

*edit* I just noticed you are in Toronto. Try...

Bellini's at 101 Yorkville Ave.
Il Mulino 1060 Eglinton Ave. W.
Mistura Restaurant 265 Davenport Rd.
Era Ora Ristorante 137 Avenue Rd.

i love YOU!!
which is the price no object one?

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #59 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's for dinner tonight? Broiling hot, greasy Korean BBQ shortribs. God, it really tasted even better than it looked
smily_headphones1.gif

img2148sf9.jpg

img2147qx1.jpg

Nothing, NOTHING beats Korean BBQ. Korean food beats all other asian foods' asses.

Im not Korean BTW
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #60 of 86
Long Fed Ribeye Gold
DSC00228_resize.JPG

Italian Hamburger Steak with Cheese
DSC00256_resize.JPG

Beef Straganov with Butter Rice
DSC00258_resize.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back