Steak-Fi
Jul 11, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #76 of 86
I was a globe trotting chef for 10 years and the best steak I ever had is the Wagyu here in Adelaide at the Grange, in the Hilton.

Second best steak was at the steakhouse in the Golden Nugget in Vegas. It's in Freemont street, well worth the trip if your in Vegas.

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #77 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All in Hong Kong. Australian Wagyu at Derby Restaurant at Jockey Club Happy Valley clubhouse, 8oz Kobe Wagyu A4 striploin at friend's house, 8oz Kobe A5 Wagyu ribeye from Great underneath Seibu at Pacific Place, cooked at home. USDA Prime Tenderloin was at a French restaurant called Le Parisien at IFC shopping mall. The unknown quantity of A4 Wagyu was at a Japanese teppanyaki restaurant in Happy Valley called 水車屋 (water mill house? I can't remember the Japanese name).

which country are u talking abt?

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #78 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by koike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey milkpowder!
astonsspecialties.blogspot.com
GRADE 9 WAGYU!!!!!!
come down to singapore and go there if you can!

its so near my house
when did the restaurant open?

Jul 12, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #80 of 86
Quote:

All in Hong Kong. Australian Wagyu at Derby Restaurant at Jockey Club Happy Valley clubhouse, 8oz Kobe Wagyu A4 striploin at friend's house, 8oz Kobe A5 Wagyu ribeye from Great underneath Seibu at Pacific Place, cooked at home. USDA Prime Tenderloin was at a French restaurant called Le Parisien at IFC shopping mall. The unknown quantity of A4 Wagyu was at a Japanese teppanyaki restaurant in Happy Valley called 水車屋 (water mill house? I can't remember the Japanese name).

ive been to that last restaurant. That was the restaurant that lead me to think kobe steaks are overrated. Try a proper good steak in USA and u will understand. Im not dissing kobe beef, im just saying that cooking kobe steak does not bring out a kobe beefs true flavour.

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #81 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ive been to that last restaurant. That was the restaurant that lead me to think kobe steaks are overrated. Try a proper good steak in USA and u will understand. Im not dissing kobe beef, im just saying that cooking kobe steak does not bring out a kobe beefs true flavour.

Overpriced, yes, but I don't think it's overrated. I've had a lot of random steaks here and there before and I prefer the marbling of Wagyu beef. I even went on a trip to Osaka, Japan with some family friends just to have Kobe beef (both cooked and raw). There's no doubt a slab of aged, US Prime ribeye is very nice, but if the wallet allows, I'd still have Wagyu. So you like Kobe raw? I've only had it as sashimi once, but boy did it taste good. I'd rather have Kobe beef sashimi than O-toro sashimi.

Have you been to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in Hong Kong? It's another overpriced "steakhouse", but their steaks are pretty good. IMO, the quality of the meat matters much more than the skill of the chef. I've had 100% well-done steaks, but they're still very tender and don't have a hint of roughness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lord_tris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't remember what kind it was, but they bring out on the slab of rock and you cook your own steak. i got it at the Friedberger Brauhaus in germany.
DSCF2705.JPG

There's a restaurant in Hong Kong that does exactly that! My parents have been wanting to take me there, but we've yet to be able to do so. They said no oil is required. I'm guessing the oil from the beef seeps out and self "lubricates"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by koike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey milkpowder!
astonsspecialties.blogspot.com
GRADE 9 WAGYU!!!!!!
come down to singapore and go there if you can!

That Grade 9 is most likely M9 grade. I think Australian Wagyu uses the M system, but I'm not completely sure of that. At least that's what the restaurant said. The M9 grade is equivalent to A4 (A1-A5, iirc). M12 is supposed to be the highest grade so I guess equals A5. I have a friend who's parents (and extended family) are literally obsessed with beef. They say that the best Kobe beef never leaves Kobe. Even within M12 or A5, there are specific levels. That's why they make one or two trips to Japan every year. I wish I could do that too
biggrin.gif

Anyhow, striploin is good too. The marbling is more evenly distributed than rib eye. $99 for 250g of M9 is pretty expensive though. Is that Singapore dollars? I was thinking of more like $60-80 USD for a 250g piece of M9.

The cheapest way to enjoy a steak is to cook one yourself.

Jul 12, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #82 of 86
There's quite a few highend steakhouses that serves to you your steak along with a heated stone so that you may cook it on your own. It's a Japanese style of cooking your steak on a heated stone called ishiyaki or steak ishiyaki. Oil can be used or not depending on the marbling of the steak.

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #83 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's quite a few highend steakhouses that serves to you your steak along with a heated stone so that you may cook it on your own. It's a Japanese style of cooking your steak on a heated stone called ishiyaki or steak ishiyaki. Oil can be used or not depending on the marbling of the steak.

I dont think cooking on stone is necessarily japanese style, i have seen ancient tribes in Indonesia cooking eggs on volcanic stone.

ruth's chris hong kong? no thanks i dont like the idea of my meal disturbed by tony leung smacking someones head with a plate right in front of me. (if uve watched infernal affairs)

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #84 of 86
Yes, many different cultures cook food on heated stone, didn't mean to say that the practice was exclusively Japanese. Perhaps I should've stated that the Japanese calls the technique of cooking steak over a heated stone ishiyaki.

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #85 of 86
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ruth's chris hong kong? no thanks i dont like the idea of my meal disturbed by tony leung smacking someones head with a plate right in front of me. (if uve watched infernal affairs)

LOL!!! At least you get a chance to get his autograph afterwards
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #86 of 86
Quote:

LOL!!! At least you get a chance to get his autograph afterwards
tongue.gif

no maybe i can tell him to run off and turn myself in to the police, after which i will sleep in kelly chan's office, preferably sleep with her in the end. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back