Stax X9000 or other similar level headphones - a speaker audiophile is in search for a set of good headphones
Sep 18, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #31 of 60
Sep 18, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #32 of 60
Sep 18, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #33 of 60
@genefruit

Also, $60,000 for an all in one doesn’t sit well with me. You can do a lot for that money. If I can get away with an X9000 plus a T2 or grand cayman, for 1/3 the price, I consider that a win. There’s no way the Dac in the he1 is better than my emm labs stack. And I don’t need the rising tubes (motors equal noise) and the carara marble doesn’t sit well with me. I have that on my kitchen counter and it rings.

I use SRA racks because unlike stone, it actually works.

SRA Scuttle

Not saying the x9000 and T2 would sound equal to the he1… but I can live with 95% for 33% of the price. Just my 2 cents as a noob.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 9:34 PM Post #34 of 60
Not knowing how you have your current system cabled but looking at the back of the ARC, it should work either with a pass through or using the pre as a volume control feeding the T2. As far as market value, the T2 is highly desired and takes around six months from order to receipt.
Are you receiving the same eksonic t2?

Sep 18, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #35 of 60
Are you receiving the same eksonic t2?
Same electronically, with a different finish. Had I not already placed a down payment, I would buy the one I linked to earlier.

Sep 18, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #36 of 60
How good is that T2?
Would it hold value if I don't like it?
I assume it would connect to my preamp via line level out?
You can now get a pass through option with the Eksonic T2 which aids in fleixibilty.

Sep 19, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #37 of 60
You can now get a pass through option with the Eksonic T2 which aids in fleixibilty.
So basically with a pass through, you put all the inputs into the T2, then pass through to the stereo preamp? That would mean that the input selector would be the T2 itself rather than the reverse and have the stereo preamp be the input selector?

Sep 19, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #38 of 60
So basically with a pass through, you put all the inputs into the T2, then pass through to the stereo preamp? That would mean that the input selector would be the T2 itself rather than the reverse and have the stereo preamp be the input selector?
Not all, just one input/output. No input selector in the T2. Your best case is still use the ARC. What it could allow is an output from the ARC to the T2 could then subsequently be sent along to another amp.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #39 of 60
Ohhh... thx...

I have sent a PM to the person selling the T2 and 9K. No response yet.

Sep 19, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #40 of 60
Hey Joey - I remember you from back in the day (I was also a highschool/college kid on here 2003-2008) and left.
I came back in the forums in 2020 during covid and have purchased most of the items talked about here. My 2 cents is that many of the older flagships are still very good (007 mk1, grado hp-1000, sony mdr-r10, he90). The planar headphones have still imo not surpassed the old guard, but are very impressive in their own right. The big changes over the years have been how much the estat amps have improved and how much dacs have improved.

My flagship journey has been stax sr-009S > Audeze CRBN > Stax sr-x9000 and now ... full circle to the headphone I had 19 years ago... Stax sr-007 mk1.
Just this time I'm using a much more powerful amplifier. That said, I had about 10+ other headphones in the house during the last 3 years, and went to two CamJams along with a few mini-meets.

Any one of these is enough to buy and forget forever type situation:

For detail
  • Stax sr-x9000 Or Shangri-la Sr & Headamp BHSE or a Megatron (Dukei or Soren will build - 4+ month wait). If you have the funds, the Eksonic T2 is the absolute best option, but the previous two are more accessible and very close. I did not like the x9000 with the carbon.
For musicalness
  • Stax sr-007mk2.9 (will need to do the mod or buy from Birgir) & Mjolnir Carbon CC
  • Susvara & CFA3 amp (headamp will offer this amp soon)
For bass
  • Abyss Ab-1266 Phi Tc & CFA 3 amp
For soundstage
  • RAAL SR1b & Vm-1a

Sep 20, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #41 of 60
Not saying the x9000 and T2 would sound equal to the he1… but I can live with 95% for 33% of the price. Just my 2 cents as a noob.

You're on the right track. Having owned the x9000 and Shangri-la Sr. at the same time for over a year, and having talked to people that have owned and heard the HE90 and HE-1, there are going to be things that the x9000 do a bit better and the HE-11 a bit better, depending on your tastes (same for the HE90 and x9000 btw). I think with that as a given, with the very limiting DAC and amplification package at a premium, makes it a hard sale.

I would certainly go with a TOTL stat system AND TOTL planar system before going that route. I think you're on the right track with everything, the only thing I would say is you may want to consider a complement to the x9000, as its presentation is very unique. But just jumping in, you'd wouldn't have a clue and it may be a saving grace just to get in and get out lol.

Again, good luck.

Sep 20, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #42 of 60
Thx @Chefguru and @number1sixerfan

That is enlightening

I have reached out to the classified for t2 and x9000. There’s probably one person ahead of me, so we shall see. I think I have a decent idea of where to start and how to quickly prep myself for a quick escape out of the merry go round as well.

We shall see

Sep 20, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #43 of 60
Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #44 of 60
Wouldn’t a diy 12,500$ amp be a little risky?

Sep 20, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #45 of 60
How much is retail of eksonic t2?

And how close is blue hawaii se headamp to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back