Stax X9000 or other similar level headphones - a speaker audiophile is in search for a set of good headphones
Sep 17, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #16 of 60
Amazing set up you have there.

I like to listen to everything except rock and metal.

I prefer tone and density of image. Musical first.
I also like great sound staging.

x9000 is likely a great starting point then. You could always explore after that if needed.

Sep 17, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #17 of 60
x9000 is likely a great starting point then. You could always explore after that if needed.

I could definitely try that.

Just something as an option to my stereo system.

Sep 17, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #18 of 60
What’s the best or top 3 amps for the 9000?

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #19 of 60
2 other questions

What’s the consensus of the Dan Clark Corina?

Also, how would you connect a headphone amp to a speaker system? Would you do line level out of the preamp?

Sep 17, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #20 of 60
What’s the best or top 3 amps for the 9000?
As with the X9000 even being considered a "best," like everything in this hobby, it is subjective.
Some folks may think the Abyss is the best. Some people may think the X9000 is the best. Some may think a DIY $500 headphone is the best.
Everything is a matter of taste, as with speakers.

In terms of well-regarded devices for the X9000:
DIY T2 (usually by Kerry, as recommended)
Mjolnir Carbon CC (or regular Carbon)
Headamp Grand Cayman

In terms of devices that cost a bit less, but still seem to be regarded pretty well:
Mjolnir KGSSHV
Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Woo 3ES

Mjolnir SRD-7 (with a nice speaker amplifier)
Woo Wee (with a nice speaker amplifier)
iFi Audio Pro iESL (with a nice speaker amplifier)

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #21 of 60
Totally understand the subjectivity.

Not new to the overall hobby, but just not as experienced with the headphone side.

Thank you for the list of amps, makes it easier for me to do research.

I do like the premise of the x9000... I think I should have the sources to make it sing.

I think I may have to connect it to my line level out of my preamp so I can switch through the sources as needed and I won't need more cables.

Sep 18, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #22 of 60
What speakers do you use/like? Do you want the headphones to be similar, or are you after something a bit different?

Sep 18, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #23 of 60
What speakers do you use/like? Do you want the headphones to be similar, or are you after something a bit different?

My speakers are Magico M2
I also have Magico Mini 2
Also have Sonus Faber Olympica 3

I have owned Sonus Faber Stradivari, Rockport Aviors, and Bowers 800d3. A long time ago I owned 3 Martin Logan’s including the Summit.

The best speaker I have heard is the Magico M9 and Wilson XVX.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #24 of 60
My speakers are Magico M2
I also have Magico Mini 2
Also have Sonus Faber Olympica 3

I have owned Sonus Faber Stradivari, Rockport Aviors, and Bowers 800d3. A long time ago I owned 3 Martin Logan’s including the Summit.

The best speaker I have heard is the Magico M9 and Wilson XVX.
That’s pretty high. Know the Fabers well. I had the ML CLS IIz w/ Gradient subs, along with other planars. Also had some ProAc’s and my best speaker was the Verity Parsifal.

You have the means it seems to get the best. I would advise patience and lots of demos. Have not heard the 9000, but I like the timbre of the DCA stats as more accurate than the earlier Stax. Might try out the Raal ribbons also, and some of the High end planars as well.

Will keep track of your travels, good luck.

Sep 18, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #25 of 60
Totally understand the subjectivity.

Not new to the overall hobby, but just not as experienced with the headphone side.

Thank you for the list of amps, makes it easier for me to do research.

I do like the premise of the x9000... I think I should have the sources to make it sing.

I think I may have to connect it to my line level out of my preamp so I can switch through the sources as needed and I won't need more cables.
You could buy this - https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/kerry-eksonic-t2.54511/ and this - https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/stax-sr-x9000.54512/ with your current front end and be so close to done that you should close the browser and enjoy.

Sep 18, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #26 of 60
How good is that T2?
Would it hold value if I don't like it?
I assume it would connect to my preamp via line level out?

Sep 18, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #27 of 60
My line preamp, ARC Ref10.
ARC 10 Linestage

My phono stage preamp, ARC Ref10 phono.
ARC 10 Phonostage

I really don't want to get another set of cables from my 2 turntables and my Emm labs Dac. That's a lot of money wasted.

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #28 of 60
Sep 18, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #29 of 60
My line preamp, ARC Ref10.
ARC 10 Linestage

My phono stage preamp, ARC Ref10 phono.
ARC 10 Phonostage

I really don't want to get another set of cables from my 2 turntables and my Emm labs Dac. That's a lot of money wasted.
Not knowing how you have your current system cabled but looking at the back of the ARC, it should work either with a pass through or using the pre as a volume control feeding the T2. As far as market value, the T2 is highly desired and takes around six months from order to receipt.

Sep 18, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #30 of 60
Not knowing how you have your current system cabled but looking at the back of the ARC, it should work either with a pass through or using the pre as a volume control feeding the T2. As far as market value, the T2 is highly desired and takes around six months from order to receipt.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking

Or record out. Probably line level out so I can control it rather than have it output all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back