STAX Upgradeitis - help!!!
Oct 10, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #31 of 46
You've all got me eyeing an O2 now. I knew I should have quit reading.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #32 of 46
You definitely can not go wrong with an SR-007(BL) and a nice energizer. Alternatively a transformer and speaker amplifier.
It will most certainly do some damage to your wallet, but on the positive side it should cure upgraditis for a long time.

Best wishes!
o2smile.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You definitely can not go wrong with an SR-007(BL) and a nice energizer. Alternatively a transformer and speaker amplifier.
It will most certainly do some damage to your wallet, but on the positive side it should cure upgraditis for a long time.

Best wishes!
o2smile.gif

does the BL make a difference?

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

it makes it black!
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are kidding?!

I need to get a pair. The only problem is how to run it off a Pro Bias amp as I would want to use the same energizer as my O2.

Anyway, I was blown away by the performance of these. Not enough to make me want to get rid of my O2's but enough to make me want to have the Lambda around for a spare.

Looks like I will have to stand in line for a nice used pair.

I thought most of the Stax amps could all do pro and normal bias, so the 717 doesn't? I never bothered to really check.

Quote:

The BL is a O2 Mk1 that is black instead of champagne metal/brown pads, and Mk1 sounds better than Mk2. The Mk2 are also black, so be careful because it wont sound as good unless you like forward mids and a little added flavor. Stax isn't making brown pads any more, so if you get the normal champagne/brown you have to buy black replacement pads when yours wear out. I have only one spare brown set which is being used on a woodied Gamma Pro which I will want to remove and replace with black, in order to save the brown for the O2. Spritzer however did show in a post a while back how to refurbish brown pads with new foam.

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #36 of 46
Quote:

Darker background...
popcorn.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought most of the Stax amps could all do pro and normal bias, so the 717 doesn't? I never bothered to really check.

The 717 like the SRM-1 Mk2 P.P. were intended for professional use so they only featured Pro outputs.

Oct 10, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Spritzer however did show in a post a while back how to refurbish brown pads with new foam.

Would you (or Spritzer) care to repeat (or link to) how this is done? I'm a little paranoid about the longevity of my brown pads now that they're out of production.

Oct 11, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #39 of 46
I used foam from a newer set of earpads to try it out since the foam in the new Mk2/A pads is a bit stiffer then the one in the Mk1 pads. You could just as well make your own but it shouldn't be too stiff or it will alter how the phones sound. To open up the pads you simply pull on the inside edge and the pads roll up. There are some pics here that show how the pads are constructed.

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

The Mk2 are also black, so be careful because it wont sound as good unless you like forward mids and a little added flavor.

Maybe I misunderstand your definition of "forward mids". But with forward mids I would only put the upper mids (presence) of my former 303 and the upper mids/lower highs (brilliance) of my 4070 into bad context, which seem somewhat overemphasized. But not at all my 007A, it has very recessed mids IME. To me there is not a whit forwardness, unfortunately. Maybe you are talking of the upper bass and key note? Yes, it is somewhat bloated indeed. But this seems only to appear with the wrong amp (SRM-007tA e. g.). With the SRM-727A (best in "direct mode" with a good pre-amp) the bloated bass has largely disappeared. Unfortunately the recessed mids persist.
frown.gif

beerchug.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

The BL is a O2 Mk1 that is black instead of champagne metal/brown pads, and Mk1 sounds better than Mk2. The Mk2 are also black, so be careful because it wont sound as good unless you like forward mids and a little added flavor.

Actually, the SR-007BL has champagne metal with black pads and headband so it looks quite different from the newer Mk2.
wilcox-albums-stax-picture3661-sr-007bl.jpg

wilcox-albums-stax-picture3662-sr-007-mk2.jpg

Keeping these various Stax models straight can be confusing.
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by mopps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I misunderstand your definition of "forward mids". But with forward mids I would only put the upper mids (presence) of my former 303 and the upper mids/lower highs (brilliance) of my 4070 into bad context, which seem somewhat overemphasized. But not at all my 007A, it has very recessed mids IME. To me there is not a whit forwardness, unfortunately. Maybe you are talking of the upper bass and key note? Yes, it is somewhat bloated indeed. But this seems only to appear with the wrong amp (SRM-007tA e. g.). With the SRM-727A (best in "direct mode" with a good pre-amp) the bloated bass has largely disappeared. Unfortunately the recessed mids persist.
frown.gif

beerchug.gif

With my O2 Mk2 vocals would drill into my head before I did the earpad spring mod that spritzer came up with. The mids were forward similar to the SR-404LE but without any upper mid etch (which the 404LE don't have much of either compared to a Lambda Sig). On my particular GES or SRD-7 Mk2 you would never call the mids recessed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, the SR-007BL has champagne metal with black pads and headband so it looks quite different from the newer Mk2.
007BL.jpg

SR007Mk2-400pix-1.png

Keeping these various Stax models straight can be confusing.
confused_face_2.gif

Sorry I wasn't as clear as I meant to be. The main thing is that people should not assume an all black O2 is a BL, because they aren't the same.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #43 of 46
I want to thank all the Head-Fiers that helped me with this purchase. I ended up getting a minty pair of SR-Lambda (normal bias), paired with an SRM-1/Mk 2, and am VERY VERY happy. They're the clearest sounding headphones I've heard. Vocals are warm, clear and clean, the highs are crisp and fast. The bass is full and rich. It does lack the speed of a dynamic headphone at times...but it can go quite deep on some recordings, and is quite satisfying and non-fatigueing. The sheer speed and musicality make these my most turned to cans to date. Looks like I've reached my audio nirvana for awhile. I simply can't afford the mega dollar jump to O2's just yet (still have a family to feed). I've got my HF-2's to turn to when in the dynamic mood, yet find myself spending far more time these days with my now beloved SR-Lambda's.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #44 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to thank all the Head-Fiers that helped me with this purchase. I ended up getting a minty pair of SR-Lambda (normal bias), paired with an SRM-1/Mk 2, and am VERY VERY happy. They're the clearest sounding headphones I've heard. Vocals are warm, clear and clean, the highs are crisp and fast. The bass is full and rich. It does lack the speed of a dynamic headphone at times...but it can go quite deep on some recordings, and is quite satisfying and non-fatigueing. The sheer speed and musicality make these my most turned to cans to date. Looks like I've reached my audio nirvana for awhile. I simply can't afford the mega dollar jump to O2's just yet (still have a family to feed). I've got my HF-2's to turn to when in the dynamic mood, yet find myself spending far more time these days with my now beloved SR-Lambda's.
smile_phones.gif

congrats!
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:48 AM Post #45 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smile_phones.gif

I know the feeling. Around December I got some 202s, and i picked up a pair of lambda pros last week. I'm reaching for them more and more over my dynamic headphones, I just love the clarity, transparency
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back