STAX Upgradeitis - help!!!
Oct 9, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #16 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a chance to listen to the Lambda Signatures this last weekend at the RMAF CanJam back to back against a pair of O2's and I was BLOWN away. I would not give up my O2's but now want a pair of Signatures and kick myself for not buying the mint $250 pair offered to me when I bought my 717 but I had no idea what they were. Based on what I heard, I can't imagine there is a better affordable STAX and they appeared 100% stock (foam and all).

For an amp,buy the best you can afford. The pair I listened to was running of a DIY amp that was around $350 if memory serves and was equally good. If you are curious, HeadphoneAddict would know what the combo was as he introduced me to it.

Believe it or not, that was a normal bias SR-Lambda I forced onto your head at RMAF ($250) through the eXStata DIY amp. The Lambda Signature have a hotter sounding treble and go for $600. It was pretty damn impressive to me too. I have a pair of SR-Lambda that I wont part with.

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #17 of 46
Ahh...SR-Lambda has always been one of my favorite headphone and IMO is the greatest bang for buck at the $300 range which usually comes with an adaptor so it can be paired with a speaker amp of some sort.

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #18 of 46
So it appears that an SR Lambda is what I need. Does this mean I simply look for any Lambda (Signature, Pro etc) that clearly has the SR identification?

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it appears that an SR Lambda is what I need. Does this mean I simply look for any Lambda (Signature, Pro etc) that clearly has the SR identification?

All of the Lambda series start with SR. You are looking for the Lambda with NOTHING behind the name. The SR-Lambda sounds different from the SR-Lambda Pro, SR-Lambda Signature, SR-Lambda Nova Classic, SR-Lambda Nova Signature, and so on and so on... The SR-202, 303 and 404 are actually still some form of Lambda models with their own sound as well.

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #20 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of the Lambda series start with SR. You are looking for the Lambda with NOTHING behind the name. The SR-Lambda sounds different from the SR-Lambda Pro, SR-Lambda Signature, SR-Lambda Nova Classic, SR-Lambda Nova Signature, and so on and so on... The SR-202, 303 and 404 are actually still some form of Lambda models with their own sound as well.

I'm confused again - I have an SRD-6 energizer and do NOT want to be buying an amp a s I have a receiver to use. I just want some budget Stax Lambdas for around $200 to $300. So what am I looking for?

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #21 of 46
Quote:

I'm confused again - I have an SRD-6 energizer and do NOT want to be buying an amp a s I have a receiver to use. I just want some budget Stax Lambdas for around $200 to $300. So what am I looking for?

You're after a Stax SR-Lambda (that's all it's called, nothing more). It's normal bias so it'll work with your SRD-6 and will have 6 pins. I think the SR-Lambda is the only normal bias (6 pins) headphone in the Lambda family (someone correct me if I'm wrong) which should make it easier to identify.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #22 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhinosaur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're after a Stax SR-Lambda (that's all it's called, nothing more). It's normal bias so it'll work with your SRD-6 and will have 6 pins. I think the SR-Lambda is the only normal bias (6 pins) headphone in the Lambda family (someone correct me if I'm wrong) which should make it easier to identify.
smily_headphones1.gif

It would seem you are correct.

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You won't need any other headphones. Ever.

x1000
o2smile.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #24 of 46
To be clear. My comment was made in the context of my continuing denial of how awesome the JH13 are.

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #25 of 46
???

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #26 of 46
Quote:

Quote:

I said what you needed, in bold.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #27 of 46
Thanks HeadphoneAddict - now it's perfectly clear, just may take some time to find a pair of Stax SR Lambda normal bias - but finding those elusive cans is an integral part of the headphone high.
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #29 of 46
just sell all ur stuff and get a WES
biggrin.gif

i mean common, just look at all those cans in your sig that don't hold a candle to O2's
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Believe it or not, that was a normal bias SR-Lambda I forced onto your head at RMAF ($250) through the eXStata DIY amp. The Lambda Signature have a hotter sounding treble and go for $600. It was pretty damn impressive to me too. I have a pair of SR-Lambda that I wont part with.

You are kidding?!

I need to get a pair. The only problem is how to run it off a Pro Bias amp as I would want to use the same energizer as my O2.

Anyway, I was blown away by the performance of these. Not enough to make me want to get rid of my O2's but enough to make me want to have the Lambda around for a spare.

Looks like I will have to stand in line for a nice used pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back