Stax: To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?
Feb 2, 2011 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hsimon46

New Head-Fier
Hi, all.  I'd love some collective wisdom here.  I'm trying to decide if it's time to sell my Stax SRD-007/SRM-717 combo and switch to the SRD-007 MkII/SRM-707t Mk II.  I've always kind of regretted going with the solid state amp the first time around (the rest of my system is tubes, and I'm a warm midrange, I-can-live-without-the-last-ounce-of-detail kind of listener) and thought about making that switch, but now I'm wondering as well about the differences in the headphones.  The folks at Yama's, Inc. in SoCal (the importer) said that Stax characterizes the Mk II headphones as having a driver that's offset from the ear a bit more, thus creating a larger and deeper soundstage.  I haven't heard them, so I can't confirm or reject.  So what do y'all think: (a) keep the headphones and change amps, (b) change both, or (c) shut up, enjoy what I have, and do nothing?  All thoughts appreciated!

Feb 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 7
I suggest not to upgrade it, the 717 is a really great sounding unit and in high demand, arguably better than any of the current Stax amp offerings. It was described as more or less similar to the 007t so on the warm side but with the extra dynamics, extension etc.

Same as with the SR007 MK2 you might feel improvements here and there but there is always a trade-off so I would just keep on with the SR007 MK1 as it is more even across the freqency range but if you decide to change the phones the SR007 MK2 is probably still nice with the 717 unit and better than with the 007tii.

You can try changing sources, cables (or even transports) instead as the 717 O2 Mk1 combo is quite sensitive to that.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks, Padam!  That's really helpful.  Havve you found an interconnect that you particularly like with the amp? (I'm using an Air Tight preamp).

Thanks again!

-H

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 7
what you're describing or plan to do is more like a downgrade IMO. If you have some spare cash and wanted to squeeze the last ounce of sound out from your system, my suggestion would be upgrade your source

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 7
I find that switching between the balnced and unbalnced inputs in my SRM717, Both fed from the same source, chabges the sound signature almost like going between tube and solid-state. The former is sharper, more dynamic and with better transietns whereas the latter is smoother and feels more fluid and maybe the more cohesive sounding. I must note that my unbalanced IC's are higher quaility than my balnaced IC, Which is a proprietry cable made specifically for my CIaudio VDA-2 dac. So i agree, With the O2 it shows very clearly what you put upstream in your rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back