Stax system 3050 - best upgrade path
Mar 22, 2009 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Axel

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Haven't been here for a while but now I'm back
lambda.gif
!

I own a Stax system 3050 (SR-303 Headphones + SRM-323 Headphone amp), I love the sound of the 'stats and am thinking of moving forward.
However, my budget is, relatively
biggrin.gif
, limited ~$1500.

Should I go for a s/h SR-007 MK1 (or MK2 if I get a good deal) OR should I upgrade my headphone amp to the SRM-007T or SRM-727?

Are there any other suggestions? maybe a s/h KGSS?

(BTW, I have heard the system 4040 and I like the sound of the 3050 better - the 4040 clips on complex passages and I tend to listen to large orchestral and vocal works)

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 8
with the omegas the amp will definitely be your limiting factor, though you should notice an improvement.

I think you'd like the Mk2 better than the Mk1 as well for orchestra. Theres also the Jade.

or you could upgrade your amp but without a new headphone thats a bit wasteful. A used KGSS or new Woo GES are the only 2 viable options at the moment for 1.5k. Any other current production stax amp would offer marginal improvement at best.

Your one other alternative is a Baby Orpheus but they go for just a bit more than $1500 unless its got enough cosmetic defects. Theres one mint pair for sale right now by KT88 at, what i think, is a very reasonable price given what they normally sell for and its completely refurbished condition. All you would need to do is locate a stax adapter or get it reterminated. Or you could use its HEV70, but it would sound better through your current 323.

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks Skin!

So I'm guessing you suggest my upgrade path should start with the headphones and then, when budget allows, upgrade my amp - right?

The HE60 and the Jade seem interesting(at least price-wise) - how do they compare to the SR-007 MK1 & 2? What are the main sonic differences?

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Axel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Skin!

So I'm guessing you suggest my upgrade path should start with the headphones and then, when budget allows, upgrade my amp - right?

yes

Quote:

The HE60 and the Jade seem interesting(at least price-wise) - how do they compare to the SR-007 MK1 & 2? What are the main sonic differences?

Theres a big ol Jade impressions thread here including plenty of pictures.

The HE60 has a more enjoyable or "warm" sound to it compared to the SR-007mk1/2 and less bass. Some find the bass on the tame side while some find it accurate. The SR-007, would be a bit more on the analytical side with a much more pronounced bass presence. The Mk1 especially. Stay away from the Mk1 unless you're a bass head. The important factor between the two for you would be what you're using as a source. The SR-007 Omega is a very source specific headphone and also fit specific as far as how different the sound can get by changing its position, the HE60 is much more kind in either regard.

Mar 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 8
I would upgrade the 'phones first, then save up for a later amplifier update. Its not ideal, but neither is the other way around.
Hunt down a SR-007(BL) or buy a new SR-007A (or MK2), then if needed part with the SR-303. At a later stage upgrade amplification to an SRM-007tA, KGSS, GES, or like.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The important factor between the two for you would be what you're using as a source. The SR-007 Omega is a very source specific headphone and also fit specific as far as how different the sound can get by changing its position, the HE60 is much more kind in either regard.

I'm using a YBA Passion CDP and a Nottingham Analogue TT.

Regarding the SR-007 Mk1 & 2, I've read many contradicting impressions - some say the MK1 is the better headphones and others say vice-versa. The same goes for the "bass-heavy" characteristic.
Unfortunately, I don't have a chance to audition either models - so I'm pretty much in the dark.
Are they really that different?

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Axel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a YBA Passion CDP and a Nottingham Analogue TT.

Regarding the SR-007 Mk1 & 2, I've read many contradicting impressions - some say the MK1 is the better headphones and others say vice-versa. The same goes for the "bass-heavy" characteristic.
Unfortunately, I don't have a chance to audition either models - so I'm pretty much in the dark.
Are they really that different?

the bass of the Mk1 has been described as harshly as being "out of control" so take that for what you will. Likewise i believe most of the people who obtain a Mk1 after having owned, or while owning a Mk2, usually end up keeping the latter. The last couple i've seen go up for sale then purchased by members here, who also own the Mk2, did not stay with them for long.

Simply put, the main difference between the SR-007 and the Mk2 is the bass. As you stated your music preference is orchestral, i would think you'd like a well balanced headphone that gives you a full flavored presentation. Thats only an asumption on my part. All the same i think you'd benefit more from an HE60 currently than an Omega as long as you can get past the current market price. Plus the O2 isnt going anywhere. You're also talking about a lot of money no matter where you go so if you can try anything first that would be most ideal.

"HeadphoneAddict" has or had all of the headphones mentioned in this thread so he may be a worthwhile member to PM if you want impressions and if you are indeed planning on buying blind. Just keep in mind impressions can vary obviously.

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 8
I think Skin is on the right track here. I have both 007 MkI and MKII and don't find them to be all that different. I can adjust to either sound signature after a few minutes without any problem. If push came to shove and I had to part with one, it would probably be the MkI but ask me another day and you may get a different answer.

As Skin suggests you should audition before you purchase, but either way, you'll get a great headphone.

Oh, I should also mention the point of diminishing returns. Often, I believe I could give up both 007s and live happily ever after with my 4040 or 2050 systems. Both outshine typical dynamic systems by a wide margin and are very enjoyable. It would be good for me (and my wallet) to get off this merry-go-round!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back