stax sr001 or sr003?
Feb 23, 2005 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

tfunk408

100+ Head-Fier
been reading about electrostatic headphones, and wanting to try them out. several concerns:

-i just got the e2c's, will stax sr001mkII or sr003 have dramatic improvement over the e2? e2c's are the best earphones i've ever tried- compared to e268's, ex51's, and bose triport's (i know, don't want to hear it =] )

-my source is pretty lame, but enough to tell that the e2c is much better sounding than bose triports. it's an older portable cd player- before they started all the "battery-saving" technology so sound quality isn't sacrificed- not that it's great to begin with. it's probably too weak to power fullsized cans like the sennheiser hd5xx or 6xx or even 280 series. will this be an issue for running stax sr001/sr003's?

TIA, there seems to be not that much info regarding the sr001mkII or sr003 from searching.

Feb 23, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 25
Since the Stax SR001 must be used, and is normally sold, with its own amp, the output level of your cdp probably doesn't matter. The SROO3 also needs its own amp. It uses the normal Stax plug, unlike the SR001 which has an idiosyncratic plug for use with the portable amp. Otherwise they are the same phones. I have both.

I am unfamiliar with the e2c's so I am unsure about comparative quality issues. However, the usual electrostatic review reports better defined detail than dynamics, a cleaner sound. In general the better the source the better these types of phone sound. I also recommend a better grade of mini-mini interconnect. Headroom had a decent one for about $20.00. Also most electrostatics need some warm-up before they sound good, I usually just play mine fairly loud for a minute or so to get them all charged up.

The 001 and 003 do have some treble roll-off. This is slightly annoying with classical music but probably a blessing with most rock/pop because they are generally recorded too peaky in the treble.

Audiocubes has great prices on Stax and you will get the SR001 with the amp included for about or even less than some canalphones.

Feb 23, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 25
First of all, the 003 includes just the headphones. It is designed for people who already own an electrostatic amp, as you need one in order to run them. The 005 system comes with either the SRM-212 amp or the older SRM-H (i think) amplifier, and is the stationary version of the 001. In terms of sound quality, it is similar to what the 001 can do with an AC adapter (it basically IS the 001 with an AC power supply), and it also costs about the same as the 001 + the Stax AC adapter/step-down transformer. I would suggest that you get the 001 and the AC adapter/transformer, so you have both the versatility to use them on the move, and the extra sound quality when used at home. The 001 is quite competitive with home setups costing much, much more in terms of sound quality.

Speaking of which...

If you're used to the E2c, and if that's your reference, you're in for a serious shock. The 001 is the best sounding portable under $500, it beats out both the ER-4 (which I own now) and the E5c (which I've listened to). It will be a huge improvement on the E2c! I haven't heard custom-molded IEM's, but I would expect it to be a close call. I've ranted on enough about the 001's sound quality that a simple search through the forums will re-iterate what I have said. Basically, expect strong bass, utterly beautiful flowing mids, and a pretty recessed treble. The 001 is very Shure-ish in it's overall tonal balance, so if you like the warm, bassy sound of the Shures, well this is similar, but miles ahead in terms of quality. The interesting thing is, the full-size Stax models aren't like this, they're much more neutral and balanced across the audible spectrum. Being warm and bassy isn't something that's common among electrostats at all, and a rolled-off treble is something that only this model exhibits. It does, however, show you the clarity, transparency, and amazing instrument separation that electrostatic headphones provide. The 001 does soundstaging and imaging much better than any other canalphone that I've ever heard, since the electrostatic drivers give it a huge advantage over the competition.

As far as your source goes, well, the 001 will show it in all it's inadequate glory. You probably will want to upgrade, and you probably will want to move on to the bigger models
very_evil_smiley.gif
Let's put it this way: when I bought the 001, I wanted a good portable without going the Ety/Shure route. I was perfectly satisfied with my HD590's. Well, now I'm out a thousand bucks or so, and I've got a full-size electrostatic rig that I just can't force myself to stop listening to.

It's amazing how quickly luxuries become necessities. Your wallet will hate you for the rest of your life
rolleyes.gif

A few more things:

1) They're not all that versatile for true portability. I use mine as a transportable system. They're not going to replace your e2c's in that department.

2) They're not going to replace your e2c's in isolation either, since they have none. They're actually an open canalphone (!), and with a 1.5 micron thick membrane, they isolate less than most open full-sized phones.

3) They don't ship with an interconnect, so you'll need one. A good one. At first I used a Kimber mini-to-mini which I bought from HeadRoom for $45, but since it's a very rigid, inflexible IC with straight-line mini's, I can't use it and fit the system in my pocket. Use quality flexible IC's with right-angle mini's if you intend to use the system with a small portable player! And don't use junk IC's either, as the system will mercilessly show you the poor quality of your gear. Micro-detail will suffer a lot with poor interconnects, and the treble will be quite a bit more rolled-off too. Stax are the primadonnas of audio equipment, and they will absolutely not tolerate subpar components. The 001 will work fine off a portable, as long as it's a pretty decent portable, but the full-size systems will need quality sources.

4) They'll go loud, and you really can't tell how loud they are playing without spending a lot of time getting used to them. Watch the volume! I had very mild tinnitus when I got them, and, well, I made it worse. I simply didn't realize how loud I was listening to them. I've forced myself to take a break, and the ears have luckily gone back to normal, but be advised: with electrostatics, you will very often find yourself listening a lot louder than you initially suspect. They have absolutely no distortion whatsoever unless you start pushing them well beyond their intended capacities.

5) Don't use the headband, use them as canalphones. The proper position to wear them is with the cable leads pointing downwards and slightly forwards, and with the phones inserted as deep as they would go and then pulled slightly out. Basically, the position in which you get the maximum bass extension is the one they should be in. They won't be too uncomfortable if worn right, but they will irritate the hell out of your ears until you get the hang of putting them in the right position. The head-band is only there to help keep them in when you're doing something physical, like jogging. They're fairly secure in your ears, but not as secure as tri-flanged canalphones.

6) They need a lot of burn in, and are slightly underwhelming at first. They'll be very rolled-off up top and will sound overly liquid and textureless. That goes away with burn-in, and all the detail starts coming out within the first 40 hours or so. I don't suggest leaving them playing, as Stax headphones are designed to operate against the pressure of your ears, and you might end up damaging the membrane if you leave them playing for long when they're not on your head. Let them burn-in naturally, and you will be amazed at the transformation in their sound.

That's basically most of what you should know. The 001 is a very dangerous first step into broke electrostatic head-fi-dom
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 25
i appreciate both of your detailed responses.

i am a newbie and i did not know that the sr003 didn't come with an amp! I'll be looking into the sr001 mkII, although, like you've mentioned, it's a very scary first step to take
blink.gif
i might have to take my time in my consideration- my wallet will not be happy! i've read that they are cheaper if you can get them in japan? any idea how much cheaper might a sr001mkII be? got a friend studying abroad there.

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #5 of 25
I honestly don't know, but I do expect it to be quite a bit cheaper than the AudioCubes price. AC marks up their prices by quite a lot, maybe 50% or more. The thing is, even marked up as they are, the prices are still a whole lot lower than what they are via Stax-authorized dealers in the US or other countries. The SR-001 costs $239 on AC and $400 (usually) in the US, with an expected US retail of $450.

Do keep in mind that Japanese-spec equipment runs on 100V AC. You could toast the amp if you use it here without a step-down transformer.

Feb 23, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 25
Mr. Scratch
cool.gif
- quick question for you.

Do you have to get the step-down transformer that AudioCubes2 sells or could one of these be purchased here in North America?

I ordered the AC adapter from them but didn't think to purchase the transformer at the same time (though it hasn't shipped yet)

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
I honestly don't know, but I do expect it to be quite a bit cheaper than the AudioCubes price. AC marks up their prices by quite a lot, maybe 50% or more. The thing is, even marked up as they are, the prices are still a whole lot lower than what they are via Stax-authorized dealers in the US or other countries. The SR-001 costs $239 on AC and $400 (usually) in the US, with an expected US retail of $450.

Do keep in mind that Japanese-spec equipment runs on 100V AC. You could toast the amp if you use it here without a step-down transformer.

Feb 23, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 25
I would imagine that any step-down transformer would do, as long as it handles the appropriate voltage. The reason why you need the Stax AC adapter is that I don't think there's a standard AC plug that fits the amp (I looked for one Stateside but couldn't find it). The step-down transformer, though, is standard.

Feb 23, 2005 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 25
Thanks.

I must say that while I've only had the SR001's for a day, I'm really happy with them. The bass is astounding- tight, punchy and deep. Not at all sloppy. The mids are incredibly smooth and even though they're probably a ways off from being fully broken in- I don't find anything missing from the treble (though I confess to being sensitive to bright sounding sources). And this is with a regular old mini cable - the Cardas mini cable is on its way.

It's kinda fun going from my HD600's at home (which I adore) to the Stax setup for the walk to work. My ears don't miss a beat of the audiophile experience.

I'm still getting used to the feel of them in my ears (I think I must have one ear canal bigger than the other, as one side feels less comfortable!) but these little guys are highly recommended.

Mar 6, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 25
I've found this thread to be extremely interesting. I have been a headphone junkie for quite a number of years. My first set of good ones were Stax SRX MkIII's when they were current and the absolute best you could get (circa 1976). I recently decided I wanted to put together a nice portable system. I purchased the Sony D-EJ100 discman which Stereophile had given a recommendation on. I didn't want to use my RS-1's on the go and wanted something better than the SR60's. Using the Sony as my source I did a comparison of the SR60, SR80 and SR125 Grados. The SR80's worked very well indeed but I did decide on doing the SR125's. It has been quite a good little mini system that is not too much to manage as a portable. It has also been a great help to preach the gospel to the "uninformed". Alas, variety is the spice of life and I am getting a real itch to add a set of the Stax SR001's to my growing headphone repertoire. Thanks to all the posters to firing up my addictive "collector" instinct. Fun, fun, fun.
orphsmile.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ESL-1
getting a real itch to add a set of the Stax SR001's to my growing headphone repertoirel
orphsmile.gif

Mine should be here in a day or two.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 25
Oh, I forgot.... I also plan on getting a Grado RA-1 headphone amp to use both in the portable set-up occasionally and as another HP amp at home. I currently use a modified Home Headroom amp for the dynamic phones and a Stax SRM-1 for the two different Stax I have.
lambda.gif
I signed up as a member of the forum late last night (early this morning) and know this is going to be enjoyable. The addiction has been flaring a bit, two weeks ago I added a set of the old Koss ESP-9 electrostatics to the group. An interesting vintage take. Cheers.

Mar 6, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #12 of 25
I got the sr-001 MKII a couple of months ago, and am very happy with them.
A week ago, I went on a business trip, had my laptop, my waveterminal and these guys, and I was very happy with the sound listening in my hotel room at night. Sounded really good for a "portable" system.
biggrin.gif

There is another thread going about how much better these sound with a good ac adaptor, versus batteries. So, will be building a 4.5V power supply soon, and see if they really make a difference. Right now, I use NIMH batteries, otherwise would go through a ton of alkalines.

Randy

Mar 7, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ESL-1
Oh, I forgot.... I also plan on getting a Grado RA-1 headphone amp to use both in the portable set-up occasionally and as another HP amp at home. I currently use a modified Home Headroom amp for the dynamic phones and a Stax SRM-1 for the two different Stax I have.
lambda.gif
I signed up as a member of the forum late last night (early this morning) and know this is going to be enjoyable. The addiction has been flaring a bit, two weeks ago I added a set of the old Koss ESP-9 electrostatics to the group. An interesting vintage take. Cheers.

What's the difference between the ESP-9 and the ESP-950? What year was the ESP-9 released, and how well does it compare to other electrostatic models at the time?

Just wondering. I've been fascinated with the ESP-950 and Koss electrostatics in general, and want to know how good they are. Information on them is really bloody rare...

Mar 19, 2005 at 4:35 AM Post #14 of 25
Sorry for the delay in responding, been having some difficulties with my computer. The Koss ESP-9 system was current through the 1970's, I think they came out in '73 or '74. At that time they sold for $175 if I remember correctly. They got generally good notice for sound although they were not the equal of the Stax headphones of the period. The top of the line for Stax then was the SRX MKIII which were $300. The SRX MkIII were considered the best headphone available. The Stax were also much more comfortable than the Koss which were heavy and somewhat tight on the head in comparison. I would have to do a little research to find out when the ESP950 was introduced. I would think that the 950 was essentially an upgraded ESP9 (lower mass diaphram, etc.) but I never got to hear them side by side. I had owned a pair of the Stax SRX MkIII during the 70's but sold them eventually. I came to regret that decision. I had an opportunity to get a pristine set of them again about 5 years ago. Acquiring those helped light the collecting bug in me. It has been a lot of fun since then. I would love to hear from anyone with direct experience with the ESP950 Koss. BTW, another electrostatic design of that time was by Superex. I have forgotten the model number but I remember them as being pretty good. They weren't too bad in the comfort department and were not too expensive. They did have a reputation of some reliability issues. A good friend of mine had a set which he liked a lot. I remember he did have to have them repaired once also.

Jul 4, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
3) They don't ship with an interconnect, so you'll need one. A good one. At first I used a Kimber mini-to-mini which I bought from HeadRoom for $45, but since it's a very rigid, inflexible IC with straight-line mini's, I can't use it and fit the system in my pocket. Use quality flexible IC's with right-angle mini's if you intend to use the system with a small portable player! And don't use junk IC's either, as the system will mercilessly show you the poor quality of your gear. Micro-detail will suffer a lot with poor interconnects, and the treble will be quite a bit more rolled-off too. Stax are the primadonnas of audio equipment, and they will absolutely not tolerate subpar components. The 001 will work fine off a portable, as long as it's a pretty decent portable, but the full-size systems will need quality sources.

I was wondering if you could recommend one of these quality flexible IC's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back