stax sr001 or sr003?
Jul 4, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
What's the difference between the ESP-9 and the ESP-950? What year was the ESP-9 released, and how well does it compare to other electrostatic models at the time?

Just wondering. I've been fascinated with the ESP-950 and Koss electrostatics in general, and want to know how good they are. Information on them is really bloody rare...

These are a late 60's early 70's phones. I bought a pair about 1970. Still had them when I moved to Seattle in 88, but tossed them shortly there after, because the power supply had died, the cord was shot, and I did not want to spend the money to have them repaired. Which interestingly enough, in 1990, Koss would have done.
Compaired to the Pro AA's that I had at the time, they were very fast, and as I recall very neutral. What I do remember was that they were HEAVY, and HOT. The band started hurting the top of my head after about an hour of listening. Cannot say how they would compare to modern phones because it's been so long, but at the time they were nice.

Jul 4, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by SimpJee
I was wondering if you could recommend one of these quality flexible IC's.

I use one of these, but I don't think it's all that great sounding together with the 001. Cardas makes warm-sounding cables which bring out the bass; on the 001 you need a bright(er) sounding cable that will bring out the treble. The cable is, however, very flexible and portable. There is a Kimber mini that I like (this one), but it's hardly flexible.

It's a lot of trouble to find the right IC for the system, but it's important. The system will quickly tell you the quality of your cable, if your source is up to par.

ATM, I'm using an iAudio X5 loaded with flacs, the Kimber cable, and the 001 at work, and while it's not the last word in portability, it sounds pretty good.

Jul 4, 2005 at 10:21 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

I use one of these, but I don't think it's all that great sounding together with the 001. Cardas makes warm-sounding cables which bring out the bass; on the 001 you need a bright(er) sounding cable that will bring out the treble. The cable is, however, very flexible and portable. There is a Kimber mini that I like (this one), but it's hardly flexible.

It's a lot of trouble to find the right IC for the system, but it's important. The system will quickly tell you the quality of your cable, if your source is up to par.

ATM, I'm using an iAudio X5 loaded with flacs, the Kimber cable, and the 001 at work, and while it's not the last word in portability, it sounds pretty good.

Have you had any experience with JMT's Interconnects? I found him recommended here in a thread I found while looking for right angled interconnects. He's a member on this site as well, seems nice.

Another question, how does your Stax sound with the X5? I'm looking to get an X5L, and am wondering how well the Stax will sound with it. This will be my first audiophile setup (portable or otherwise), so I'm a little new
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Have you had any experience with JMT's Interconnects? I found him recommended here in a thread I found while looking for right angled interconnects. He's a member on this site as well, seems nice.

Another question, how does your Stax sound with the X5? I'm looking to get an X5L, and am wondering how well the Stax will sound with it. This will be my first audiophile setup (portable or otherwise), so I'm a little new
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a JMT-built braided silver cable (right angle mini-mini) that I use with the SRM 001 MKII............and I recommend it (and JMT!) highly.
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I have a JMT-built braided silver cable (right angle mini-mini) that I use with the SRM 001 MKII............and I recommend it (and JMT!) highly.
biggrin.gif

Thanks a lot for the help, both of you. I've read a lot about how nice JMT is, I'm glad I'll experience it first hand when I order everything.

Thanks again.

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

The X5 is hardly an audiophile-quality component. It's probably the best player currently on the market - well, no probably about it, what else supports flacs and ogg's except for the now sadly RIP'd Rio Karma? However, it's still a long way away from true hi-fi. It's a bit tinny sounding, and doesn't have enough resolution to clearly convey textural information, nor does it have the soundstage of a real hi-fi player. And of course, the 001 will tell you all that as soon as you plug it in.

Still, with the line-out and the 001, sound quality is pretty good. As I said, use a bright sounding interconnect if at all possible, and you should have few(er) treble complaints. The sound is very Sennheiser-like - warm, smooth, yet very detailed, and with good bass impact for an electrostat. And did I mention that the 001 is the fastest headphone I've ever heard? It's ability to handle complex passages is simply stunning. I like the 001 in this way more than the UM2, but I don't have anything good to amp the UM2 with (PCII doesn't count). I suppose that amped with something really nice the UM2 will outshine the 001, but it will also be several times more expensive - even unamped it's still more than the 001 and it's peripherals!

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

I've been fascinated with the ESP-950 and Koss electrostatics in general, and want to know how good they are. Information on them is really bloody rare...

It's rare for a reason: Noone buys them. Except for me and weinerc, of course. They're so cheap and the Koss brand-name usually scare people off. IMHO they would give the HD600s and the SR-325 a thrashing in terms of smoothness of presentation and speed any day. They're good multipurpose phones for a variety of music types and perform phenomenally well with poor recordings with a very palpable sound.
You should try to hear these if you like the sound of the Stax IE phones and like the comfort of circumaural headphones.

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

The X5 is hardly an audiophile-quality component. It's probably the best player currently on the market - well, no probably about it, what else supports flacs and ogg's except for the now sadly RIP'd Rio Karma? However, it's still a long way away from true hi-fi. It's a bit tinny sounding, and doesn't have enough resolution to clearly convey textural information, nor does it have the soundstage of a real hi-fi player. And of course, the 001 will tell you all that as soon as you plug it in.

Still, with the line-out and the 001, sound quality is pretty good. As I said, use a bright sounding interconnect if at all possible, and you should have few(er) treble complaints. The sound is very Sennheiser-like - warm, smooth, yet very detailed, and with good bass impact for an electrostat. And did I mention that the 001 is the fastest headphone I've ever heard? It's ability to handle complex passages is simply stunning. I like the 001 in this way more than the UM2, but I don't have anything good to amp the UM2 with (PCII doesn't count). I suppose that amped with something really nice the UM2 will outshine the 001, but it will also be several times more expensive - even unamped it's still more than the 001 and it's peripherals!

Ah, is there any portable player out there that is audiophile-quality?

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Ah, is there any portable player out there that is audiophile-quality?

Digital portables? I don't think so. There are probably a few older portable CD players that come close - but if you want near-audiophile quality for the least amount of dough, I think sound cards - like the E-MU 0404 and 1212 - with lossless files are the way to go.

However, I'm far from an expert on these things. I've only heard a few portables, none of which I was overly thrilled with, and most of my knowledge comes from research.

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Digital portables? I don't think so. There are probably a few older portable CD players that come close - but if you want near-audiophile quality for the least amount of dough, I think sound cards - like the E-MU 0404 and 1212 - with lossless files are the way to go.

However, I'm far from an expert on these things. I've only heard a few portables, none of which I was overly thrilled with, and most of my knowledge comes from research.

So you think I should still invest in the X5 as a ... precurser to audiophile quality digital portables? How vast is your knowledge about DIY portables, you think I could get the quality I'm looking for made by hand?

I'm just trying to justify spending 600+ on headphones and a portables player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back