Stax SR-X9000
Feb 26, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #2,896 of 2,979
I also have an Arya Organic not sure if the Susvara is worth it based off how old it is compared to the Organic. Interesting hearing the CRBN being called veiled. That's not what I would call it exactly, but we all have our own opinions and source great.
Just to chime in, i heard both the Sus and CRBN at last year's CanJam and i preferred the latter (was off the Woo Audio WES). The Sus was driven by the fabled MassKobo 465 and honestly it didnt resonate as much with me as the CRBN did nor the Abyss Phi TC driven by the XIAUDIO amp.
The Sus was too laid back and thin sounding for my liking. I was hoping to like the Sus as ive read much about it but its just not to my personal taste and preference.

The X9000 on the other hand ticks most of my boxes and i find it the most balanced and detailed of all the estats ive heard and i find it to be really dependent on the source and amp. For instance ; i auditioned it with the SRM-T8000 and found it too polite and laid back for my liking albeit with a grander stage with a cleaner and more incisive presentation VS driven by the SRM-700S which was more dynamic and slightly forward with more aplomb and gusto.

Seeing you own a 717, you could audition the X9K with the T8000 since its basically 90% a reworked 717 according to the stax mafia and see if you like it.

Cheers!

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #2,897 of 2,979
Seeing you own a 717, you could audition the X9K with the T8000 since its basically 90% a reworked 717 according to the stax mafia and see if you like it.

There is nowhere near me to audition I don't think unfortunately. I was very close to getting a KGSSHV but then the Mafia said the 717 is the best amp Stax has ever made so I decided to start there. Glad I did.

I might call the CRBN veiled out of the T1S but not the 717, I'm curious if I could fit my favorite earpads on the X9000, the latest Audeze leather free pads. I have a feeling they might be a good fit. The price of the X9000 isn't whats holding me back, I'm worried if they have good bass or not.

Feb 26, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #2,898 of 2,979
Does anyone own both the X9000 and the Susvara and can compare? Which do your prefer and why?

In October I was super close to ordering a Susvara and Violectric amp to go with it as my "end game".......then I was like "but you never got into estats like you wanted to 20 years ago" (besides the Koss estat which is great)

Anyway I was debating getting either the X9000 or the Susvara but I'm not sure.

I really love my CRBN too, anyone can compare the CRBN to the Susvara?
I owned the Sus ending up selling them, and this is why:
Sus and X9K: I wouldn't say they have a laid back sound, it depends where you're coming from. There is no wow effect. It is relaxed. You often want to drive the HP in high gain because comparing to other the impact (in negative sense) on the ear is missing. You need to understand that with half the volume you hear more, comparing to other HP.

X9K is more linear and less dynamic (so you think there is less bass) Or let's say more clean. But clean not meant cold clean laser sharp. Not at all.

The Sus will be more fun in the long run. The X9K will be the one that delivers the more authentic atmosphere if the song is recorded very well. However, if the song has some distortion then the X9K will pass it through.
The Sus will bring you into the song if playing d&b hip hop and any kind of electric music which needs bass (extension).
But the X9K can do a little more, for example, represent wooden instruments very precisely but still authentically as wood. The mids and female voices are in my personal opinion the best. Precise without discoloration and without inflating the voice. The Sus like to add on the voice, little bit more forward which brings some small kind of loudness effect. It is like nora jones has 90kg, a big massive woman.
As I said, the fun factor is greater with the Sus.
I also think, perhaps I see it subjectively, that the X9K paired with good tubes represent the stage wider and deeper. This of course can only be achieved with precision.
Both HP are superior. The Sus for sure are the better allrounder.

Feb 26, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #2,899 of 2,979
A point of clarification on my previous post. The CRBN is veiled compared to the X9K and Shang Sr. It might not be veiled compared to say the LCD-5 or something similar, but with estats, I expect absolutely no veil at all.

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #2,900 of 2,979
you can buy the crbn for 2k now in the used market so there is that

Feb 26, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #2,901 of 2,979
A point of clarification on my previous post. The CRBN is veiled compared to the X9K and Shang Sr. It might not be veiled compared to say the LCD-5 or something similar, but with estats, I expect absolutely no veil at all.
I’ve only heard it at audio shows (with the first time it having insane channel imbalance) but I did feel like it was sort of veiled as well. And to be transparent my favorite headphone currently is the 007mk1 which is considered the darkest of all the stax models (apart from the original sigma). Perhaps if I took it home I’d have a different perspective.

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #2,902 of 2,979
There is nowhere near me to audition I don't think unfortunately. I was very close to getting a KGSSHV but then the Mafia said the 717 is the best amp Stax has ever made so I decided to start there. Glad I did.

I might call the CRBN veiled out of the T1S but not the 717, I'm curious if I could fit my favorite earpads on the X9000, the latest Audeze leather free pads. I have a feeling they might be a good fit. The price of the X9000 isn't whats holding me back, I'm worried if they have good bass or not.
It is depends on how you define good bass.
For me it has good quality bass but not enough quantity. And only estate amp I find can give x9k acceptable bass is Grand Cayman. But with that amp Shangri La Sr. had much authority in bass, so X9k became bottleneck again...
I guess what I want to say is seeking good bass in estate is always not an easy game, it's like chasing your tails in circles, susvara can be the better bet.
007mk1 is the rare one estate had good bass but you sacrificed resolution and the spacious sound compare with x9k.

My 0.02.

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #2,903 of 2,979
The X9K and Sus have a similar laid back sound. The Sus has better bass, while the X9K has a bit better resolution. They are both good, but I sold my X9K, but still have my Sus (so I prefer the Sus). The CRBN and Susvara are very different. The CRBN is more veiled and warm. The CRBN reminds me a bit of the ZMF house sound. I didn't really like the CRBN that much and rarely listened to it, so it also got sold. It was just too veiled.

Yup, very much agree here on the comparison across all three headphones here. I did actually like the CRBN for what it was though and do hope that Audeze follows up on it. Also miss the x9k every now and then and would absolutely still have if not for the SGL. Sr.

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:57 AM Post #2,904 of 2,979
I guess what I want to say is seeking good bass in estate is always not an easy game, it's like chasing your tails in circles, susvara can be the better bet.
007mk1 is the rare one estate had good bass but you sacrificed resolution and the spacious sound compare with x9k.

i have a 007mk2 with the port mod with flat pads on it and right now its my goto headphone. The CRBN outclasses it in comfort and the earpads on the CRBN are amazing. I find I am on an endless quest for the perfect pads for the 007mk2 because I feel like the ones from Stax are holding it back, even if I might be wrong lol.

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #2,905 of 2,979
Ok I have my decision.

I contacted this one person over Head-fi but did not get a response. I found one high-end guru in Germany who is willing to

to make me an amplifier. The good thing is he made one before and I got the contact from that customer. The customer had the opportunity to compare this device with one that is considered one of the best here in head-fi forum. I don't want to go into more detail so as not to upset anyone on the forum, because in the end it's subjective. For me it was important that this amp was in the “league” and that was enough for me. For example, the T8000 Hybrid has a poti that costs >20€. And that's not fair to me. And I do not like Hybrids. I don't want to pay 20% import fees on amplifiers that are manufactured outside the EU and then I have no guarantee.
Back to the manufacturer from Germany: I basically got first-hand feedback. The amplifier is only built with top parts, I'm attaching pictures of the amplifier that went to Croatia. This was the 2nd modified device.
Another one: the manufacturers has described pretty much every capacitor, i.e. every high-end brand, sound characteristics and ranking. So there is a good knowledge for sure. I'm still negotiating but I think I'll do it because 1. cheaper than T8000 and 2. no price alternative.
Description of the 3rd modified amp which I would order:
tube: 2x 6SN7GTB (Jan), 2x 6SL7 (Gold), 2x 5814A (Jan)
capacitors: Jensen copper Oil, Mundorf Silver Oil, Silver Mica
poti: Khozmo 48, TKD poti (KH 32Ohm)
resistors: Vishay CMF55
transormer: Lundahl mains DHT low noise filament for all tubes, HV Super
noise supply plus gyrator. Everything on PCBs, own developed PCB
Aluminum housing with engravings. Power on relay with front switch (button).
Delivery time 5-9 weeks, depending on receipt of goods.
The manufacturer says I can swap the 6SN7 for the bad boys 3 holes myself, then it would be a really noticeable difference again.
this 5-9 weeks are killing me, to be honest. And I am negotiating regarding the price. It would be perfect to get under 5.000€... (and delivery time 2 weeks :)) I am dreaming...

watch out for those Jensen oil caps, I had some of the same bought about 9 years ago and they are leaking

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Feb 27, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #2,906 of 2,979
i have a 007mk2 with the port mod with flat pads on it and right now its my goto headphone. The CRBN outclasses it in comfort and the earpads on the CRBN are amazing. I find I am on an endless quest for the perfect pads for the 007mk2 because I feel like the ones from Stax are holding it back, even if I might be wrong lol.
I can't agree more on the 007 pad. It is really had a big impact to the sound. What is your current pad? What is the concern with it?
Have you tried the Kennerton ECL-02 foam pads? Which is what I had for my 007 now. To my taste they sounds the best with comfort. The thing is they control the bass tighter, which make it feel goes deeper and reduce some of the bass reverb and also make the mids a bit cleaner. I remember you audited my 007 in last meeting, right? How do you like it?

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #2,907 of 2,979
I can't agree more on the 007 pad. It is really had a big impact to the sound. What is your current pad? What is the concern with it?
Have you tried the Kennerton ECL-02 foam pads? Which is what I had for my 007 now. To my taste they sounds the best with comfort. The thing is they control the bass tighter, which make it feel goes deeper and reduce some of the bass reverb and also make the mids a bit cleaner. I remember you audited my 007 in last meeting, right? How do you like it?

Funny I have zero recollection of trying the 007 before I bought them. I do recall trying the X9000, the Shanj Jr, and the L700 mk2. I tried the Shanj Jr right after the L700 and the bass on the Shanj sounded very weak in comparison.

Right now I am using the Brainwavz XL Round Black pads on my 007:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SBT93R9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They form a seal and aren't angled at all. I have SJY pads which are basically like the stock 007 pads but thicker and a slightly smaller hole for the driver.

I'm tempted to order the Kennerton ECL-02 pads you mentioned, never heard them before.

One great thing about the CRBN is I don't have to wonder if I have the right pads on the CRBN because I find it difficult to believe their could be better pads, unless Audeze releases some kind of special edition pads.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #2,908 of 2,979
Funny I have zero recollection of trying the 007 before I bought them. I do recall trying the X9000, the Shanj Jr, and the L700 mk2. I tried the Shanj Jr right after the L700 and the bass on the Shanj sounded very weak in comparison.

Right now I am using the Brainwavz XL Round Black pads on my 007:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SBT93R9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They form a seal and aren't angled at all. I have SJY pads which are basically like the stock 007 pads but thicker and a slightly smaller hole for the driver.

I'm tempted to order the Kennerton ECL-02 pads you mentioned, never heard them before.

One great thing about the CRBN is I don't have to wonder if I have the right pads on the CRBN because I find it difficult to believe their could be better pads, unless Audeze releases some kind of special edition pads.
I remember you tried my x9k first and then I introduced my 007 to you but after 1 mins or so we switched back to x9k LOL. I think x9k do have some magic to grab people's attention. But I actually prefer 007 in the daily use.

How would you describe the sound of the Brainwavs XL pad?

The ECL2 pad is definitely not cheap. But I like the material and construction. I think these two alone already worth the price.

Audeze pad is always a good choice along with their headband. Very good quality.

And back to the original question. I don't think my 007 with thror pads are dramatically changed. The bass is far from the bass slam of the susvara driven by CFA3. X9k being the worst of the 3.

Feb 28, 2024 at 1:30 AM Post #2,909 of 2,979
Question: which STAX is most detailed and shows the most separation of instruments and musical threads, the X9000 or the 009S?

I'm using the 007Mk.2 now, and I know it's not them, though I like them. I've had both the X9000 and the 009S, but I'd like other opinions. Thanks!

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #2,910 of 2,979
Question: which STAX is most detailed and shows the most separation of instruments and musical threads, the X9000 or the 009S?

I'm using the 007Mk.2 now, and I know it's not them, though I like them. I've had both the X9000 and the 009S, but I'd like other opinions. Thanks!
In terms of imaging, the SR-X9000 probably has the most separation, but I found this could make the sound overly spacious and detract from musical enjoyment. The SR-009 is next in terms of separation, followed by the Sr-007 mk1.

For layering and depth, the SR-007 MK1 does this best in my opinion. The SR-Lambda NB also images quite well, positioning sounds in a 3D space rather than along a straight left-to-right line like the SR-X9000 and SR-009 tend to.

As for detail retrieval and revealing artifacts/elements in recordings, the SR-X9000 and SR-009 are top performers. However, for convincingly realistic reproduction, I prefer the SR-Omega, sr-007mk1 and even the SR-Lambda NB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back