Stax SR-X9000
Feb 20, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #2,867 of 2,979
Listened to the SR-X9000 driven by the Metaxas & Sins headphone amp in Florida last weekend.
Hans down the best I've ever heard the SR-X9000. I would even go as far as to say it was one of the best sounds I've ever heard in my life.
And yes, that's me adjusting left and right volume control on the female headphone amplifier.

Amplifier was $29,000.

IMG_20240217_132140742_HDR.jpg
I wonder how someone even decides of making something like this. It’s just so crazy haha

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #2,868 of 2,979
I wonder how someone even decides of making something like this. It’s just so crazy haha
Yep. It's like if Barbarella had a headphone amplifier.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #2,869 of 2,979
Look up Metaxas and Sins website. It's all futuristic, space age, Barbarella looking stuff.

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #2,870 of 2,979
Listened to the SR-X9000 driven by the Metaxas & Sins headphone amp in Florida last weekend.
Hans down the best I've ever heard the SR-X9000. I would even go as far as to say it was one of the best sounds I've ever heard in my life.
And yes, that's me adjusting left and right volume control on the female headphone amplifier.

Amplifier was $29,000.

IMG_20240217_132140742_HDR.jpg
Wild, looks like they debuted at CanJam in Dallas last year:
https://www.ecoustics.com/products/metaxas-sins-audio-sculpture-collection/

Feb 20, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #2,871 of 2,979
Feb 20, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #2,872 of 2,979
I'm not opposed to interesting and artistic designs for audio gear, but I think that Metaxis amp is really cringe-worthy. It's like chi-fi IEM waifu (also cringe) turned retro-futurist sculpture. And the use and placement of dual volume controls is both inconvenient and very much not my taste. I know it's a statement piece, but I'm not sure if I'd want to be in the conversations it would start. Just my personal opinion.

Feb 20, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #2,873 of 2,979
I'm not opposed to interesting and artistic designs for audio gear, but I think that Metaxis amp is really cringe-worthy. It's like chi-fi IEM waifu (also cringe) turned retro-futurist sculpture. And the use and placement of dual volume controls is both inconvenient and very much not my taste. I know it's a statement piece, but I'm not sure if I'd want to be in the conversations it would start. Just my personal opinion.
I agree 100%.
I even told my buddy who was there, I said that even if no one ever comes over and sees this amplifier, I would feel like a goofball every time I used it.

That being said, it produced one of the best sounds I've ever heard in my life. It gave so much meat on the bones and weight to the Stax, I simply couldn't believe it.

Feb 21, 2024 at 2:55 AM Post #2,875 of 2,979
I could use some advice :)
Ok I have my decision.

I contacted this one person over Head-fi but did not get a response. I found one high-end guru in Germany who is willing to
I could use some advice :)
to make me an amplifier. The good thing is he made one before and I got the contact from that customer. The customer had the opportunity to compare this device with one that is considered one of the best here in head-fi forum. I don't want to go into more detail so as not to upset anyone on the forum, because in the end it's subjective. For me it was important that this amp was in the “league” and that was enough for me. For example, the T8000 Hybrid has a poti that costs >20€. And that's not fair to me. And I do not like Hybrids. I don't want to pay 20% import fees on amplifiers that are manufactured outside the EU and then I have no guarantee.
Back to the manufacturer from Germany: I basically got first-hand feedback. The amplifier is only built with top parts, I'm attaching pictures of the amplifier that went to Croatia. This was the 2nd modified device.
Another one: the manufacturers has described pretty much every capacitor, i.e. every high-end brand, sound characteristics and ranking. So there is a good knowledge for sure. I'm still negotiating but I think I'll do it because 1. cheaper than T8000 and 2. no price alternative.
Description of the 3rd modified amp which I would order:
tube: 2x 6SN7GTB (Jan), 2x 6SL7 (Gold), 2x 5814A (Jan)
capacitors: Jensen copper Oil, Mundorf Silver Oil, Silver Mica
poti: Khozmo 48, TKD poti (KH 32Ohm)
resistors: Vishay CMF55
transormer: Lundahl mains DHT low noise filament for all tubes, HV Super
noise supply plus gyrator. Everything on PCBs, own developed PCB
Aluminum housing with engravings. Power on relay with front switch (button).
Delivery time 5-9 weeks, depending on receipt of goods.
The manufacturer says I can swap the 6SN7 for the bad boys 3 holes myself, then it would be a really noticeable difference again.
this 5-9 weeks are killing me, to be honest. And I am negotiating regarding the price. It would be perfect to get under 5.000€... (and delivery time 2 weeks :)) I am dreaming...

Attachments

• ES1.jpg
    ES1.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Feb 23, 2024 at 6:35 AM Post #2,876 of 2,979

I'm not surprised. A Sirius V10 from www.high-amp.de is playing inside. For me, it's also one of the best amplifiers I've ever heard.

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #2,877 of 2,979
I don't care how good it sounds, I will not be twisting the volume nipples lol

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #2,880 of 2,979
It would be a shame if the Metaxas and Sins amp didn't get any traction. It was ridiculously good. But at the price, who's gonna buy it?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back