Stax SR-X9000
Dec 11, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #2,761 of 2,979
The prototype B-21 Raider has landed and I just finished setting it up using Roon / Qobuz feeding my Exogal Comet Plus. Right now I have the latest Abyss 1266 on the dynamic output and the Stax SR-X9000 on the electrostatic side. All you need to do is turn down the volume and flip a switch and then switch headphones.

The only disappointment right now is I can't use it with my Aries Cerat front end as the prototype doesn't have the RCA inputs installed but the unit has the necessary circuit for single ended inputs.

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #2,763 of 2,979
I am hoping your guys can give me some advice.
I am not experienced headphone user and don't want to make the same mistakes as I have made in the past e.g Constantly upgrading gear so end game headphones is what I am hoping to find.
I tried a few headphones recently LCD 5 the latest Yamaha headphones and Meze Elite along with a few Stax models. The SR X9000 I liked the comfort and loved how open the sound was. I was worried they might not do stuff like Dream Theater well but was impressed with what I heard but really came into their own whilst listening to Rodrigo Y Gabriel and Max Richter.
So my questions are with a budget of £10000 ( I am based in the UK) what enginerzier should I get. But this includes enginerzier or headphone amplifier.
Would I be better off going for the SR 700 MK1 I read a few people saying they prefer and a YouTube review where they prefer it.
Should I consider anything else instead
With regards to sound preferences a open sound where I can place instruments need to have speed and able to do bass texture and colour. My st be able to have a good timpani sound as well as managing kick drums. Genres include prog metal, neo classical, world fusion, classic rock, gypsy jazz and modern cello music.

I know this is a Stax thread, but try some Warwick systems just for the reference, especially since you are in the UK.
I like the X9000 far more than I liked my beloved 007 Mk1 (with all the mods + pads + improvements over many years).
But there are people with better ears and taste than mine, who like the 007 Mk1 more... though with certain systems, which are again tricky to match.

IMHO the X9000 does have a somewhat lean, phasey, artificial sounding tendency with quite many amps and sources. You need a good source and energizer for it, but there are not many good matches, as it's merciless in taking up the character of the upstream equipment and source material. Not as hard to match as the 009, or the 007, but it's even more delicate... you want to get to the point where all things click together and it sounds organic, delivered in a natural space, not artificial to any degree any more.
See Thinkers post on the amps: I have the upgraded (top build) version of #2 amp on his list (and I believe it's better than his #1, but need to check). Despite the peculiar interface (2 mono pots) and conscious but strange design choices, that's end game sound for me -- which is why I rarely check in here: I reached BLR (blissful listening realm), provided I won't take the HE1 (Helena) home :). The GG and T2 might be closest to that amp (so I do recommend them), even the BHSE is not in the same class.

Good source equipment (CD, LP, streamer, DAC) is easier to find nowadays. Once you sorted out the amp + headphones, it will be so easy to select the rest... they will test everything and judge everything.

If you do not give the X9K what it needs, it's not the X9K... but it's still good, and I'd probably prefer the X9K even with a modded SRM-T1 vs. the 007 Mk1, but any of these over the 009. I suggest you also listen to the latest 007 versions... and do pay a visit to other sites/discussions/bubbles as well, where you might find even stronger, but perhaps better justified opinions than this one. :)

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #2,764 of 2,979
I know this is a Stax thread, but try some Warwick systems just for the reference, especially since you are in the UK.
I like the X9000 far more than I liked my beloved 007 Mk1 (with all the mods + pads + improvements over many years).
But there are people with better ears and taste than mine, who like the 007 Mk1 more... though with certain systems, which are again tricky to match.

IMHO the X9000 does have a somewhat lean, phasey, artificial sounding tendency with quite many amps and sources. You need a good source and energizer for it, but there are not many good matches, as it's merciless in taking up the character of the upstream equipment and source material. Not as hard to match as the 009, or the 007, but it's even more delicate... you want to get to the point where all things click together and it sounds organic, delivered in a natural space, not artificial to any degree any more.
See Thinkers post on the amps: I have the upgraded (top build) version of #2 amp on his list (and I believe it's better than his #1, but need to check). Despite the peculiar interface (2 mono pots) and conscious but strange design choices, that's end game sound for me -- which is why I rarely check in here: I reached BLR (blissful listening realm), provided I won't take the HE1 (Helena) home :). The GG and T2 might be closest to that amp (so I do recommend them), even the BHSE is not in the same class.

Good source equipment (CD, LP, streamer, DAC) is easier to find nowadays. Once you sorted out the amp + headphones, it will be so easy to select the rest... they will test everything and judge everything.

If you do not give the X9K what it needs, it's not the X9K... but it's still good, and I'd probably prefer the X9K even with a modded SRM-T1 vs. the 007 Mk1, but any of these over the 009. I suggest you also listen to the latest 007 versions... and do pay a visit to other sites/discussions/bubbles as well, where you might find even stronger, but perhaps better justified opinions than this one. :)
I think zolkis has made the best summary of what we know about the X9000 to date. Now we need to know what to do to get the most out of it. And then decide its place in the pantheon of great headphones. (Is "pantheon" the right word??)

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #2,765 of 2,979
... Now we need to know what to do to get the most out of it. ...
Personally, my answer would be to get yourself this kit, EQ the hell out of the headphones, and enjoy the sound of perfectly neutral speakers in an anechoic chamber. Great recordings have never sounded better, and once you hear proper stereo imaging without any clarity-reducing room reflections, you will never hear regular headphones the same way again.

Dec 12, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #2,766 of 2,979
A friend of mine came over tonight with his newly purchased x9k. He still owns a novem, so we were able to do a few tests on my megatron.
Our conclusion was that the x9000 sounds by far the best off the megatron. The novem actually has a lot of the same characteristics but without the staging and slam.

Off my original stock TAD tubes, I found the x9000 on first impression to pretty much wipe the floor with the 007. But the longer I listened the more I picked up on the things that original had me sell them (aka the weightless bass, and strange 3 blob effect). Still, the megatron does a great job hiding them and if I had owned the megatron at the time, probably wouldn't have sold the x9000. My verdict here is that the x9k wins on "first impressions" but still loses over the length of ownership.

When the megatron is tube rolled for the 007 - most important being the first input tubes swapped out from ecc82s's to e80cc (which provide double the current) - the 007 comes into its own and wins in density, realism, low-end, and layering. Instruments truly sound as they should. The best way I would describe it is that a 007mk1 seems to sound stacked within the smaller headspace but in a way that feels true to the recording. Where the x9000 almost stretches out the image into this very flat wide soundstage without any heft.

My final rankings for amps on the x9k:

1. Megatron - Highly recommended, does a great job hiding the x9k's weak points and brings out its strengths
2. BHSE - recommended
3. Novem - highly recommended if you can find a single-box one for $2k but not so at the 5.5k price point
----
3. Carbon - too sterile, timber is weird
4. KgssHV - same as carbon but without the detail and soundstage
5. Majority of Stax amps lumped here - only if you have to
6. Headamp Aristaeus - issues with gain, does not work

Overall I have owned the x9k and heard it enough after to know that I can't fix it with a different system. For those that like the sound and have the pockets for it - I would say go right for the top tube based amps. The verdict is essentially unanimous at this point.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #2,767 of 2,979
My verdict here is that the x9k wins on "first impressions" but still loses over the length of ownership.

When the megatron is tube rolled for the 007 - most important being the first input tubes swapped out from ecc82s's to e80cc (which provide double the current) - the 007 comes into its own and wins in density, realism, low-end, and layering. Instruments truly sound as they should. The best way I would describe it is that a 007mk1 seems to sound stacked within the smaller headspace but in a way that feels true to the recording. Where the x9000 almost stretches out the image into this very flat wide soundstage without any heft.

Overall I have owned the x9k and heard it enough after to know that I can't fix it with a different system. For those that like the sound and have the pockets for it - I would say go right for the top tube based amps. The verdict is essentially unanimous at this point.

Well said, especially the first sentence. And it's the same other people who ditched the X9K said, so it's consistent.
Disclosure: I don't have any Stax headphones any more (except of a modded Gamma Pro), at least until my two Phenomenon Libratums (v3 and v5) are working and not outclassed by something new. I am counting on the coming of the mythical X7000... :) or an accessible Orpheus descendant. But I might own an X9K too, good enough for me :).

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #2,768 of 2,979
A friend of mine came over tonight with his newly purchased x9k. He still owns a novem, so we were able to do a few tests on my megatron.
Our conclusion was that the x9000 sounds by far the best off the megatron. The novem actually has a lot of the same characteristics but without the staging and slam.

Off my original stock TAD tubes, I found the x9000 on first impression to pretty much wipe the floor with the 007. But the longer I listened the more I picked up on the things that original had me sell them (aka the weightless bass, and strange 3 blob effect). Still, the megatron does a great job hiding them and if I had owned the megatron at the time, probably wouldn't have sold the x9000. My verdict here is that the x9k wins on "first impressions" but still loses over the length of ownership.

My final rankings for amps on the x9k:

1. Megatron - Highly recommended, does a great job hiding the x9k's weak points and brings out its strengths
2. BHSE - recommended
3. Novem - highly recommended if you can find a single-box one for $2k but not so at the 5.5k price point
----
3. Carbon - too sterile, timber is weird
4. KgssHV - same as carbon but without the detail and soundstage
5. Majority of Stax amps lumped here - only if you have to
6. Headamp Aristaeus - issues with gain, does not work

Great post. Fully agree that tubes matter--the good ones can be affordably found, with effort (thanks for all advice @Schelp san ).

I continue to think Carbon is getting a bad rap these days, not because it's a bad pairing but simply because there are other, better pairings for x9000s (tubes). For me, I don't think x9000s makes Carbon's "You're in a cathedral, shut up and enjoy it" SQ any more sterile than other HPs with Carbon.

But I do agree that, if you are bothered by the 'thinness' of x9000s (this is only the case for me with pop albums), then a Carbon pairing will be annoying. I used to think I was missing something with x9000s/Carbon, and now it's just a different sound signature.

Maybe a matter of what one listens to?

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #2,769 of 2,979
Dec 12, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #2,770 of 2,979
Great post. Fully agree that tubes matter--the good ones can be affordably found, with effort (thanks for all advice @Schelp san ).

I continue to think Carbon is getting a bad rap these days, not because it's a bad pairing but simply because there are other, better pairings for x9000s (tubes). For me, I don't think x9000s makes Carbon's "You're in a cathedral, shut up and enjoy it" SQ any more sterile than other HPs with Carbon.

But I do agree that, if you are bothered by the 'thinness' of x9000s (this is only the case for me with pop albums), then a Carbon pairing will be annoying. I used to think I was missing something with x9000s/Carbon, and now it's just a different sound signature.

Yeah... I suspect your source matters as well...

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #2,771 of 2,979
I think that is an important thing to realize. Even great headphones have types of music that they play better than others.
absolutely agree with you and @Aspirant Audiophile . Hence, I always ask what folks are playing and their source to understand the context/setting... because there is much impact in the entire audio chain.

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #2,772 of 2,979

This and also, what people enjoy about the x9000 and what they are looking to fix or the type of synergy they need for their preferences. I have never seen headphones that have such a low consensus of what people do and don't like about them. It's a bit odd really, but it really seems to be the case. For that reason, the most important thing for people should be to identify their issues with it for them and then amp hunt from there based on strengths of various amps. My issues with it are that it's a bit relaxed (somewhat recessed in the midrange) and a bit polite at times, I would want a more forward sounding amp with really great dynamics. I know some others that haven't had an issue at all with these aspects whatsoever, in example. I think this, coupled with what you listen does matter quite a lot for the x9000... so amp hunting for it can be a bit of an ordeal.

All of that said, I too have found them to perform their best off of tube amps and would probably start there. And also agree with Chefguru's impressions, particularly as he described the 007 and x9000.

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #2,773 of 2,979

This and also, what people enjoy about the x9000 and what they are looking to fix or the type of synergy they need for their preferences. I have never seen headphones that have such a low consensus of what people do and don't like about them. It's a bit odd really, but it really seems to be the case. For that reason, the most important thing for people should be to identify their issues with it for them and then amp hunt from there based on strengths of various amps. My issues with it are that it's a bit relaxed (somewhat recessed in the midrange) and a bit polite at times, I would want a more forward sounding amp with really great dynamics. I know some others that haven't had an issue at all with these aspects whatsoever, in example. I think this, coupled with what you listen does matter quite a lot for the x9000... so amp hunting for it can be a bit of an ordeal.

All of that said, I too have found them to perform their best off of tube amps and would probably start there. And also agree with Chefguru's impressions, particularly as he described the 007 and x9000.

Yeah I guess my biggest take away from all the different amp mixing/matching and experiences with the estats is that to my ears, it is true the amps make a difference for estats (unlike how I feel about dynamics headphones majority of the time). However, unless it's a matter of limited power, the difference with the amps is not enough to offset any issues I have with the transducers.

So for example, I would take worst functional amp 007 combination (kgssHV+007) over the best sounding amp x9000 combination (megatron+x9k). By this logic, I can also say if you like the x9000 sound, you could probably get away with a cheaper tube amp like : KGST, single-box novem, or CCS modified T1/006t/007t

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #2,774 of 2,979
Personally, my answer would be to get yourself this kit, EQ the hell out of the headphones, and enjoy the sound of perfectly neutral speakers in an anechoic chamber. Great recordings have never sounded better, and once you hear proper stereo imaging without any clarity-reducing room reflections, you will never hear regular headphones the same way again.
I emailed them over a week ago and haven't heard anything still *shrugs*

This and also, what people enjoy about the x9000 and what they are looking to fix or the type of synergy they need for their preferences. I have never seen headphones that have such a low consensus of what people do and don't like about them.
And then there's me in oddball land using mine on "normal" amps with a transformer and zero complaints about thinness that the people using purpose built estat amps seem to have... I would love to be able to compare with some estat amps some day. First system I heard the X9000 on was BHSE and Grand Cayman but that was at a CanJam, all other listening has been at home on my transformer box.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #2,775 of 2,979
I emailed them over a week ago and haven't heard anything still *shrugs*
:frowning2: They are university staff, whereby I remember waiting a month and a half between June and August due to their having been busy administering exams and attending conferences. And receiving a payment invoice from the university administration takes even longer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back