Stax SR-X9000
Jan 8, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #2,116 of 2,979
I have a habit to record the volume when I listen (either listening to speaker, headphones, playing instruments, or liver concerts). My listening level for headphone use is usually around 75-85 dB A-weighted on average (classical music), which is a little bit lower than real concerts I have ever recorded (80-93 dBA average). I remember we were probably in similar volume range yesterday when we listened to most of the classical pieces.

Go back to the discussion on X9000 vs Omega. Omega is better in classical music due to better micro/macro dynamic and timbre presentation. X9000 has more polished sound that make them sound better controlled. But maybe due to the same reason, X9000s sound more compressed. This is not a big problem (and most of the time unnoticeable) for heavily compressed music. But for classical, it definitely makes the sound less engaging.

The summary from Chefguru definitely nail it, albeit, I maybe a little bit like the x9000 more than Chefguru think: ) as these days I listen a lot more pop music. At some point, I might pull the trigger to buy a pair of x9000 again (it the would be my third x9000 if I do so). But one problem for me is, for pop music, I can not justify the improvemen from my Airpods pro to hiend headphones, whereas I feel the improvement is huge for classical music. Maybe this is because I listen to a lot of metal (at the pop music side). Or maybe the Airpods pro is just too good.

Side notes that are also relevant:
  • Lambda Signature Nova is not in the top mix of greatness but sounds like it was voiced from the same engineers as the Omega (good thing) not the x9000 or modern lambda. More people should seek this out if on a budget.
  • Grado Hp-2i - Instead of being stat maxed in some category, it's more evenly excellent, and all the points are still there
  • As good as the Omega is with classical, the bass light R10 is still an astral plane higher....

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2023 at 6:16 PM Post #2,117 of 2,979
Side notes that are also relevant:
  • Lambda Signature Nova is not in the top mix of greatness but sounds like it was voiced from the same engineers as the Omega (good thing) not the x9000 or modern lambda. More people should seek this out if on a budget.
  • Grado Hp-2i - Instead of being stat maxed in some category, it's more evenly excellent, and all the points are still there
  • As good as the Omega is with classical, the bass light R10 is still an astral plane higher....
  • IMG_0848.jpg

The bass light R10 is one of my all-time favourite headphones. The timbre and stage on these headphones is just so incredibly natural that I find the headphones disappear when listenign to them ❤️

Jan 8, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #2,118 of 2,979
The bass light R10 is one of my all-time favourite headphones. The timbre and stage on these headphones is just so incredibly natural that I find the headphones disappear when listening to them ❤️

They absolutely do, they just disappear entirely. They may be slowly becoming my favorite headphone of all; just an incredibly unique and amazing sound.

Jan 10, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #2,121 of 2,979
Try to research how far you can get X9K. Feed the Energon amp straight with tube preamp and result is some sort of of out of body experience , the music appears to come from nowhere, at least you have the feeling that certainly not from the phones. The X9K is smooth like butter and musical as you can get. It appears that the X9K represents
exactly the unit you are feeding it, i said this already 1 year ago the X9K mirrors everything you are feeding with it.

IMG_1740.jpeg

Jan 11, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #2,123 of 2,979
I head some complaints saying BHSE with x9000 gives a hollow in the middle of the soundstage, which makes me think of HD800 not driven properly. I'm king of afraid of this, any pro knows if it's severe? I maninly listen to classicals.

Jan 11, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #2,124 of 2,979
Try to research how far you can get X9K. Feed the Energon amp straight with tube preamp and result is some sort of of out of body experience , the music appears to come from nowhere, at least you have the feeling that certainly not from the phones. The X9K is smooth like butter and musical as you can get. It appears that the X9K represents
exactly the unit you are feeding it, i said this already 1 year ago the X9K mirrors everything you are feeding with it.

IMG_1740.jpeg

What are the 2 tube component models in this beauitiful picture?

Jan 11, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #2,125 of 2,979
What are the 2 tube component models in this beauitiful picture?
EnVogue DaCapo left, made in Italy, sold in Germany on name EnVogue some 25 years ago but these are rebuild in Netherlands to the lastest specifications, probably don't find it anywhere, very rare price back then some 12K. Right Energon electrostatic amp, custom made in Hungary, is probably available if ordered. Energon amp can be ordered with Jupiter/Duevel caps or whatever you wish to put in and sounds best to my ears with GEC KT-66 tubes, price 5-6K.

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #2,126 of 2,979
Jan 11, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #2,127 of 2,979
I head some complaints saying BHSE with x9000 gives a hollow in the middle of the soundstage, which makes me think of HD800 not driven properly. I'm king of afraid of this, any pro knows if it's severe? I maninly listen to classicals.
it's about average in sound body/weight and dynamic. I think you can do better than BHSE. You will never get that symphony hall feeling or feel the lower registers of the piano with any Stax.

Jan 11, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #2,128 of 2,979
EnVogue DaCapo left, made in Italy, sold in Germany on name EnVogue some 25 years ago but these are rebuild in Netherlands to the lastest specifications, probably don't find it anywhere, very rare price back then some 12K. Right Energon electrostatic amp, custom made in Hungary, is probably available if ordered. Energon amp can be ordered with Jupiter/Duevel caps or whatever you wish to put in and sounds best to my ears with GEC KT-66 tubes, price 5-6K.
Thanks! gorgeous setup!!

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #2,129 of 2,979
With my setup, the BHSE and the X9000 sound excellent together. Will there be another amp in my future? 🤪

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:15 AM Post #2,130 of 2,979
As mentioned some time ago, I could listen and compare x9000 with Carbon, Grounded Grid, Megatron (all from Soren, top notch inside and outside), SRM007tA (6S4A, CCS mod, which brings it close to KGST circuit design). GG sound seems to differ to BHSE only in nuances, with preference towards GG, according to some who owned/built both.

Overall the best synergy with x9000 (in fact all my Staxes) I found with Megatron, and thats why I decided to keep x9000. The full bodied presentation without a lot of bloom suits it very well. While being softer in tone, it still has that energy, dynamics and extension, it is just less edgy, "aggressive". The wide soundstage is one of the strong points of MT, but while having my issues with the soundstage of x9000 on certain tracks, I cannot say it did not fit together with MT.
Soundstage on GG I also liked a lot, very 3D and even more pinpoint than MT. Maybe comes closer what Chefguru and Thinker seem to prefer for x9000. Soundstage on Carbon is more 2D in comparison, more wide than deep.
I agree, that Carbon is very precise sounding, dry in comparison and neutral with very good extension on both ends. But from a holistic view, if timbre is also factored, I find Megatron being equaly neutral, but more enjoyable.
Interesting to hear what is charged for a Megatron made in Iceland. Is an RK50 and NOS XF2s included? On the other hand, 9k for 9k, makes sense:wink:

ccs mod Srm007ta How's the sound?

bought it from Möllnir Audio, but I'm curious about the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back