Stax SR-X9000
Jun 1, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #1,276 of 3,032
My sr-omega has the same level soundstage and bright and separation as the hifiman SGL with original earpad. And its special image is My favorite. The state of sr-omega is hard to maintain because age old. Unless you want to collect it, the sr-x9000 is more suitable for daily use in my humble opinion.
May I ask what is the sonic difference between SR-OMEGA to X9000 please?

Jun 2, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #1,277 of 3,032
May I ask what is the sonic difference between SR-OMEGA to X9000 please?
Both have an excellent soundstage, and the sr-x9000 sounds fuller in impression. The sr-omega has Irreplaceable tone for me. Both are outstanding headphones of their respective eras.

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #1,278 of 3,032
I recently received my Stax SR-X9000 and I must say that I am very impressed. Sajid Amit posted a review on YouTube:

Sajid is one of my favorite headphone reviewers, but I found his conclusions didn't match my initial impressions of the X9000. I believe the difference is due to the Woo Audio WES Sajid used - an amp that he finds to be neutral to warm. My experience with the WES found it to be anything but neutral and VERY warm. The WES might compliment the 009/009S, but it is not my amp of choice for the X9000. My BHSE provides a very neutral sonic experience and is a synergistic combination with the X9000.

The X9000 outperformed my SR007 Mk1 and SR-009S in its ability to provide greater resolution and transparency. More sonic impressions to follow as I get to live with this wonderful headphone.

Jun 3, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #1,279 of 3,032
I recently received my Stax SR-X9000 and I must say that I am very impressed. Sajid Amit posted a review on YouTube:

Sajid is one of my favorite headphone reviewers, but I found his conclusions didn't match my initial impressions of the X9000. I believe the difference is due to the Woo Audio WES Sajid used - an amp that he finds to be neutral to warm. My experience with the WES found it to be anything but neutral and VERY warm. The WES might compliment the 009/009S, but it is not my amp of choice for the X9000. My BHSE provides a very neutral sonic experience and is a synergistic combination with the X9000.

The X9000 outperformed my SR007 Mk1 and SR-009S in its ability to provide greater resolution and transparency. More sonic impressions to follow as I get to live with this wonderful headphone.

I read Birgir's x9000s review over at head case and I am consistently surprised by the overwhelmingly positive commentary everywhere else, while Birgir both bluntly and precisely declared the x9000s to be "very good" but no more than that. He gave plenty of reasons, too.

I wonder why all the other reviews are so superlative in comparison.

Jun 3, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #1,280 of 3,032
I read Birgir's x9000s review over at head case and I am consistently surprised by the overwhelmingly positive commentary everywhere else, while Birgir both bluntly and precisely declared the x9000s to be "very good" but no more than that. He gave plenty of reasons, too.

Things are subjective. You never know what people are looking for and what music they want to sound good. Also, the chain is a factor. Some say the source matters most, some say the transducers, some say the whole system (of course, but in which ratio).
Birgir has more experience with e-stats than most of us, but whether the taste acquired on the way, musical preferences matches your own, that is hard to tell. Also, he seems to be using a source that is not considered high end by many on this forum. And his reference IIRC is 007 Mk1 drivers in SR-Omega housing (front and back grills) but with some 3rd party ear pads (IIRC, I might be wrong). I could also say I liked my modded 007 Mk1 more than the SR-Omega, and I like both my modded Phenomenons (basically DIY category) more than any Stax, but it would not help people since these are not stock units someone could buy or easily reproduce.
Whatever his reference and preference, at least he points out things to check for - then use your own ears. Whoever can crank out the money for the X9K, should also update the whole chain to a similar level accordingly.

Jun 3, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #1,281 of 3,032
Actually I do like the X9K more than other Stax (including the 007 Mk1, Mk2 and latest, 009, 009s, and perhaps even the SR-Omega).
But I do see why some people are triggered down by its presentation, especially on the long term. Out of all Stax, the SR-Omega is the one I think everyone would like. Even the 007 Mk1 divides people, some adore it, some are disappointed. In the right chain all of these can perform rather admirably.

Now when it comes to mods... I didn't like the 007 Mk2 port mod, but most people did. I did get rid of the spring and dust screen from the 007's and modded the ear pads (and ended up with modded 009 ear pads on them). But there are people who prefer the stock since the direction of the mods - more direct, somewhat brighter or more biting sound even though more open and more immediate -, was too much of a change for them).

I think the X9K is the Stax headphone (besides the SR-Omega) that doesn't really need any mods, eventually just marginally thicker pads, or the back grill attached directly to the housing instead of the few mm slanted distance around. That would make it sound more visceral with more body, at the expense of some ethereal'ity and sound stage size. Everything has a price.

What I wish for is something like the X9K but with thicker membrane (like the HE90 consciously went with 2.4 microns as best compromise, or optimum). I think the 007s have 1.35 microns and the 009 around 1 micron. Hifimans going sub-micron - I never really liked them. Phenomenon was using around 2 microns (V2 through V5 had many changes), and I like them the most.

Jun 3, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #1,282 of 3,032

What about bass quantity vs 009 and 007?

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #1,283 of 3,032
I've only had the X9000 for 2 days! I'll report back after I get more listening experience.:gs1000smile:

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #1,284 of 3,032
Just got notified that we have a shipment of SR-X9000 on the way to fill pre-orders! And another one will follow end of this month.
For those keeping track, the serial #s of these is in the low 300s (1300s)
Have anybody received their X9000 from these two batches mentioned here by Justin back in May 4th?

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 3, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,285 of 3,032

Regarding the WES, I would concur fully. It is only a viable amp to pair with brighter stat headphones. It is too warm and a bit too congested to pair with anything else. I shared as much with the person I sold mine to as a caution, and they ended up coming to the same conclusion with the 007. I would only pair it with the 009, L300, etc.

He's just one person and this is all subjective, but I also think it's important to note that the 007 MK1 (from everything I've read of his both here and there) is his ultimate headphone. Both the 009 and x9000 outclass it imho to a substantial degree technically (keep in mind I have it and do love it). Totally get if people prefer the bass and tonality, and if it's the ultimate headphone for you as well, then I'd probably put more stock in his assessment.

One thing is for sure, the x9000 is extremely capable. The 009 has long been my favorite Stax headphone and it barely gets time these days because of it (and also due to the SGL Sr.). The one thing people will have to figure out for themselves, is if the relaxed presentation fits their preferences. I think that's going to be the major X factor for most. Technically it's brilliant, but I prefer a more forward sound.. even still they get a ton of head time from me.

Jun 3, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #1,286 of 3,032
Have anybody received their X9000 from these two batches mentioned here by Justin back in May 4th?
I got mine this week from Justin.

Jun 3, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #1,287 of 3,032
Regarding the WES, I would concur fully. It is only a viable amp to pair with brighter stat headphones. It is too warm and a bit too congested to pair with anything else. I shared as much with the person I sold mine to as a caution, and they ended up coming to the same conclusion with the 007. I would only pair it with the 009, L300, etc.

He's just one person and this is all subjective, but I also think it's important to note that the 007 MK1 (from everything I've read of his both here and there) is his ultimate headphone. Both the 009 and x9000 outclass it imho to a substantial degree technically (keep in mind I have it and do love it). Totally get if people prefer the bass and tonality, and if it's the ultimate headphone for you as well, then I'd probably put more stock in his assessment.

One thing is for sure, the x9000 is extremely capable. The 009 has long been my favorite Stax headphone and it barely gets time these days because of it (and also due to the SGL Sr.). The one thing people will have to figure out for themselves, is if the relaxed presentation fits their preferences. I think that's going to be the major X factor for most. Technically it's brilliant, but I prefer a more forward sound.. even still they get a ton of head time from me.
Wes has less ideal image and resolution as well

Jun 3, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #1,288 of 3,032
Wes has less ideal image and resolution as well

So far ive only heard my x9000 on Wes and BHSE. If I hadn't heard it on BHSE I wouldn't have bought it. That said, I didn't find Wes warm in the vaugest and have 0 idea what tubes it has it in, but that was some anti-synergy going on there tbh...

Jun 3, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #1,289 of 3,032
Has anyone tried it on the RSA A-10 or the LTA Z10e?

Jun 3, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #1,290 of 3,032
Has anyone tried it on the RSA A-10 or the LTA Z10e?

Someone just mentioned both of these in the stax iii thread. I would look there and ping them

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back