Stax SR-X9000
May 19, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #1,249 of 3,032
Hello,
recently another review of the SR-X 9000 has appeared on the blog of a German headphone enthusiast (he has a considerable stock).
The SR-X9000, SR-09, HIFIMAN SUSVARA, STAX SRM-T8000, PALTAUF-ESD and RIVIERA AIC10 = https://musicalhead.de/2022/05/18/test-stax-sr-x9000/ are addressed.

The extensive description is in German and those interested can do a translation via https://www.deepl.com/de/translator or google translator.

My SR-X 9000 should arrive shortly and until then the combination Paltauf ESD in the version with separate power supply + SR-09 does an excellent job after extensive and successful tube rolling.

I wish all SR-X 9000 users much pleasure in impressive music experiences - Rainer

IMG_7971.jpg

Last edited:
May 19, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #1,250 of 3,032
Hello,
recently another review of the SR-X 9000 has appeared on the blog of a German headphone enthusiast (he has a considerable stock).
The SR-X9000, SR-09, HIFIMAN SUSVARA, STAX SRM-T8000, PALTAUF-ESD and RIVIERA AIC10 = https://musicalhead.de/2022/05/18/test-stax-sr-x9000/ are addressed.

The extensive description is in German and those interested can do a translation via https://www.deepl.com/de/translator or google translator.

My SR-X 9000 should arrive shortly and until then the combination Paltauf ESD in the version with separate power supply + SR-09 does an excellent job after extensive and successful tube rolling.

I wish all SR-X 9000 users much pleasure in impressive music experiences - Rainer

IMG_7971.jpg

Thanks for the hint.

... and those able to understand german can just read it without translating it hehehe :)

May 21, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,251 of 3,032
I think it depends on what planar you're talking about. If we're talking the TC or LCD4 or Soli P for example, which I think is what many of us think when we mention planar bass, then no. Stats just aren't going to replicate that on any amp, and that's ok. None of these can replicate the sense of clarity and detail you get from Stats either.

The CRBN is slightly punchier, and has a smidge more quantity than most stats, but it's not by much and is in the same general bucket with bass as most stats. For reference, I've compared it and the LCD-5 and the LCD-5 was clearly superior bass wise. The only exception really is the 007 (depending on the version you have), which does have TC like bass, but with less control and accuracy.

You can get bass with stats with the right amp (Aeras and T2 really shine here) that rivals or beats the Susvara or similar however.

May 21, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #1,252 of 3,032
I think it depends on what planar you're talking about. If we're talking the TC or LCD4 or Soli P for example, which I think is what many of us think when we mention planar bass, then no. Stats just aren't going to replicate that on any amp, and that's ok. None of these can replicate the sense of clarity and detail you get from Stats either.

The CRBN is slightly punchier, and has a smidge more quantity than most stats, but it's not by much and is in the same general bucket with bass as most stats. For reference, I've compared it and the LCD-5 and the LCD-5 was clearly superior bass wise. The only exception really is the 007 (depending on the version you have), which does have TC like bass, but with less control and accuracy.

You can get bass with stats with the right amp (Aeras and T2 really shine here) that rivals or beats the Susvara or similar however.
I didn't expect aeras to be mentioned at the same time as t2 when talking impact tbh

May 21, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #1,253 of 3,032
I didn't expect aeras to be mentioned at the same time as t2 when talking impact tbh

Bass seems to be improved on the T2, but I haven't compared them directly just yet. I'm not saying the Aeras has similar bass impact, again tbd. But* in it of itself, the Aeras does really well in this regard. It gave a really nice, much needed boost for the 009 bass wise. And the x9000 and CRBN both had great bass response out of it. Not a night and day difference from the BHSE, but it was definitely the first thing I noticed when I listened to the Aeras on the first listen.

May 21, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #1,255 of 3,032
Hi, need some info about x9000. Someone that have x9000, I need to know how is details retrieval, layering, separation and soundstage. Thankyou.
I you just search the word "review" in this thread you will find exactly what you are looking for. Several owners in this thread have given their thoughts on what the x9000s do.

May 22, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #1,256 of 3,032
SR-X 9000 in the house!
L1000566-Edit_Original ratio_2480x2480_U_30.jpg

L1000572_Original ratio_2480x2480_U_30.jpg
L1000577_Original ratio_2480x2480_U_30.jpg

L1000582-Edit_Original ratio_2480x2480_U_30.jpg

3 observations after a few hours:

1. Distinct sound, 'worth it' for varieties sake, irrespective of what other headphones you own (IMHO). Not the best for 'aggressive' music genres ...

2 Delivery speed: Ordered in September 2021 from Staxaudio.com (Woo).
Serial number in the low 1300s - after reports of somebody who had received SN 1111 end of November, that seems to imply 5 months / 200 headphones = current production rate about 40 per month (average). This may be accelerating eventually, but that was the message since launch, I don't care as much anymore as I now have mine :)

3. Amp pairing: I have so far not found a reason to go beyond 11 o'clock on my Woo 3ES Elite Edition. Plenty of headroom. Too early to make a recommendation re:Tube rolling (WE300B vs. TA300B - I have both and will experiment ...)

how goes the tube rolling?
am mulling over selling my WA33 and trying stats... unsure between a T2 or 3es elite. how did you decide to go with the woo over the T2?

May 25, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #1,257 of 3,032
Megatron time...
Did this x9000s and Megatron pairing wind up happening? I'm trying to decide between a Carbon and a Megatron for my x9000s.

Last edited:
May 25, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #1,259 of 3,032
how goes the tube rolling?
am mulling over selling my WA33 and trying stats... unsure between a T2 or 3es elite. how did you decide to go with the woo over the T2?
I mean, even on just a BHSE I prefer the X9000 to all the cans in your sig. Obviously tastes will differ, but X9000 + even just a transformer box off of your WA33 should give you a solid idea of if you like them in general and then you can always go deeper after that

May 25, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #1,260 of 3,032
Did this x9000s and Megatron pairing wind up happening? I'm trying to decide between a Carbon and a Megatron for my x9000s.
I wish.
I own the SRX9000 with a Mjolnir Carbon, fantastic. I also heard the SRX9000 with the BHSE extensively, and believe they're both great pairing. The major difference is that the sound comes across a bit "firmer" with the carbon which at least on first impression makes the bass sound elevated. BHSE might actually be brighter, but the mids feel larger and yet more airy overall. I like not having to worry about the warm-up time of an hour with the carbon.

I'm very curious where the Megatron lands. The Megatron should be another click further with these observed differences , sort of like the carbon and the megatron are at different ends of the spectrum and the BHSE or KGGG are in the middle. That said make sure you have a good builder for the Megatron, a lot of BS builds have been reported.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back