Stax SR-X9000
May 8, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #1,216 of 3,060
It’s getting more ridiculous..
Dear, I know nothing about your economic status and condition of access to devices of this value scope, I will not make any hasty judgments about you. But for some of us, depending on our country and its tax characteristics, as well as our annual income, it is between very difficult or almost impossible to get a hiend device. In my country, for example, we pay at least 60% up to 100% taxes and duties on the value of the product plus shipping! So when some of us, not without a lot of effort, get a beloved Stax, we want to preserve it as much as possible, taking all the necessary and even unnecessary care. Dehumidifying cabinet: yes; discharging the stators: yes; goodnight kiss: yes. And we do all this with the hope that they will survive our death; these are fully justifiable paranoia. But I understand that those who have easy access and a full pocket may have the privilege of treating these devices as if they were objects purchasable at the neighborhood corner. That is not my case. Sorry for the bad English, but I needed to write this.

May 8, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #1,217 of 3,060
I have not had any issue ever with having stax headphones remaining plugged into the amp. I remove the SGL, x9000, and others these days, but not because of any concern with the connectors, more so to properly store them. I have no issue with ppl doing what they think makes the most sense to them, just adding in case it helps.

May 10, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #1,219 of 3,060
For those of you still waiting.. I ordered mine in early Jan and they just showed up today.. roughly 5 months
I've got you beat!! Ordered mine in early October and still waiting. :beyersmile:

May 10, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #1,221 of 3,060
For those of you still waiting.. I ordered mine in early Jan and they just showed up today.. roughly 5 months
September, still waiting!

May 10, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #1,224 of 3,060
O

congratulations!
Who did you order from?
Hi,

I got the Stax X9000 today along with a Woo 3ES amp. I ordered the Stax in early November from Woo Audio.

Andre

May 11, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #1,225 of 3,060
Quick Review of STAX SR-X9000 with Woo 3ES

Hey All,

My previous main setup was 009S with Woo WES2. Today, I got a Woo 3ES and the X9000.

Overall: The Stax 9K is a clear step up from the 009S, but not as big step as the 009S was compared to the 009.

Note: Compared to Sennheiser HD 800S --> While my previous Woo (WES2) amp was being looked at, I used the Woo WA 22 amp with the 800S for several weeks (I own the 800 and 800S with the WA 22 and really like them). The music was very nice and I enjoyed it. However, as soon as the I had the new 3ES and X9000 connected (no break in), it made it clear the huge (truly, huge) difference in sound quality, transparency, feeling, emotion that the X9000 and the 3ES can produce as compared to the 800S with the Woo WA 22. The music on the X9000 is just so much more engaging. Nothing shocking here; a 20+K setup was a lot more enjoyable to listen to than a 7K setup.

Compared to SR009S --> For several hours I listened to playbacks back to back (both the SR009S and X9000 were plugged in to the same Woo 3ES at the same time) and here are some initial thoughts:
1 - Chillness --> X9000 is a bit more chill (just like, although not as big a difference, how the 009S is more chill than the 009).
2 - Clarity --> Watch out for your hearing! --> Just like the 009S has the ability to play music very loud (and sound wonderful), the X9000 takes it up a notch (a bit). I was listening to music at an outrageous level. There's almost no harshness at any sound level. That, combined with the power of the higher-end amps, makes for some incredible listening. The higher-highs are not harsh on the X9000 where the 009S is certainly not harsh but is 'harsher' than the X9000 (just like how the 009 is 'harsher' than the 009S).
3 - Space --> More space - X9000 seems to have a bit more space; the music seemed larger. Everything seemed to go together more with the X9000.
4 - Bass --> Good-sized difference here....X9000 has some nice bass punch and the detail is incredible. Some bass notes go on for seconds and you can really hear the many layers of details here.
5 - Detail --> Just like how each of the previous models (009 and 009S) did, the X9000 gave new insight in to music. Basically, some songs felt "new" and provided more detail than 009S. As crazy as it sounds, the 009S sounded a bit 'foggy' (just a bit) compared to the X9000.

BHSE? Should be arriving in a few days and will post thoughts on BHSE listening vs the Woo 3ES.

Andre

May 12, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #1,228 of 3,060
Quick Review of STAX SR-X9000 with Woo 3ES

Hey All,

My previous main setup was 009S with Woo WES2. Today, I got a Woo 3ES and the X9000.

Overall: The Stax 9K is a clear step up from the 009S, but not as big step as the 009S was compared to the 009.

Note: Compared to Sennheiser HD 800S --> While my previous Woo (WES2) amp was being looked at, I used the Woo WA 22 amp with the 800S for several weeks (I own the 800 and 800S with the WA 22 and really like them). The music was very nice and I enjoyed it. However, as soon as the I had the new 3ES and X9000 connected (no break in), it made it clear the huge (truly, huge) difference in sound quality, transparency, feeling, emotion that the X9000 and the 3ES can produce as compared to the 800S with the Woo WA 22. The music on the X9000 is just so much more engaging. Nothing shocking here; a 20+K setup was a lot more enjoyable to listen to than a 7K setup.

Compared to SR009S --> For several hours I listened to playbacks back to back (both the SR009S and X9000 were plugged in to the same Woo 3ES at the same time) and here are some initial thoughts:
1 - Chillness --> X9000 is a bit more chill (just like, although not as big a difference, how the 009S is more chill than the 009).
2 - Clarity --> Watch out for your hearing! --> Just like the 009S has the ability to play music very loud (and sound wonderful), the X9000 takes it up a notch (a bit). I was listening to music at an outrageous level. There's almost no harshness at any sound level. That, combined with the power of the higher-end amps, makes for some incredible listening. The higher-highs are not harsh on the X9000 where the 009S is certainly not harsh but is 'harsher' than the X9000 (just like how the 009 is 'harsher' than the 009S).
3 - Space --> More space - X9000 seems to have a bit more space; the music seemed larger. Everything seemed to go together more with the X9000.
4 - Bass --> Good-sized difference here....X9000 has some nice bass punch and the detail is incredible. Some bass notes go on for seconds and you can really hear the many layers of details here.
5 - Detail --> Just like how each of the previous models (009 and 009S) did, the X9000 gave new insight in to music. Basically, some songs felt "new" and provided more detail than 009S. As crazy as it sounds, the 009S sounded a bit 'foggy' (just a bit) compared to the X9000.

BHSE? Should be arriving in a few days and will post thoughts on BHSE listening vs the Woo 3ES.

Andre
Woo 3se normal version is not a good match to X9000 tonally in that they sound too dull and dark while 3se non elite version pairs way better with 009s albeit the bass is lacking

May 12, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #1,229 of 3,060
Woo 3se normal version is not a good match to X9000 tonally in that they sound too dull and dark while 3se non elite version pairs way better with 009s albeit the bass is lacking
I am pretty sure the 3ES at Axpona was the standard version and IMO it sounded very good with the X9000.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 13, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #1,230 of 3,060
I had a chance to listen und compare one of he best HP Systems. Fort he comparison i took my riviera aic 10 bal. and abyss 1266. Thy host system was accupase cd 720, accuphase pre 290, and A50V LST (lundahl Transformers) and stax X9000 and Orpheus HE90 (also via LST). Thank accupase pre we were able to listen to all 3 HP at the same time (we only have to adjust the volume).
We have only listened to 4 music pieces (Kari Bremnes – voice, Debussy/Zimmermann – Klavier, Hotel California, Stravinsky – Orchestral work) and changed the HP after every piece of music.
I would say. It was a hard work! :wink: But also very revealing. At the begining i had also chance to compare Stax 009s to x9000 but we layed 009s by the side after a few minutes as it was simply another leage. In comparison to x9000 it was bright, technical, shallow stage, too light and above all listening to stravinsky was a torment.
Firstly i must say i am very pleased with my riviera/abyss combo and i regret :wink: listening to stax x9000. In this system (accupase pre + power amp/LST) the stax was better hands down from the very first second. In this system(!) i found the x9000 to solve every weakness the electrostatic HP had. The music had a body, it was never to bright, it was detailed as detailed the music can be. It was spacious and… the bass was deeper and had more weight then my abyss/riviera combo! I was simply blown away.
Whats important ist hat we were compareing abyss/riviera to x9000/accupase pre/A50. As we were ready to compare the both systems we have also connect Abyss directly to accupase pre/A50 combo and voila. It was all there almost as with LST/X9000. It is hard to describe but the music was vibrant, mids were richer as with riviera bass was deeper, the music shined. Ok. Mayby it was a tiny little bit coulored but never unnatural, fat or too slow. It was a spectacular, it moved you into the music. It was realy something. And still x9000 was better, more natural, better mids, better highs, better bass better everything. Mayby a space, the air between the instruments was a bit more with Abyss, but with X9000 there was more connection between the instruments.
What about the sennheiser HE90. In comparison to X9000 it was bit more polite, not quite the energy of attack, and the stage a few meter furter away. If X9000 was 1 row in a concert, tha HE90 the 5. The bass was deeper and bloomier on sennheiser. All in one the same leage but different presentation. For long listening session i would pick up orpheus.
more to come…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back