Stax SR-X9000
Jan 11, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #751 of 3,045
I have collected rare tubes over the years and use this amp with Siemens Halske 1959 long plates. As a source i use Abbas Audio Nos DAC with the first 16bit Philips 1540 chip. The chain is fully tube and the Novem is all tube circuit . Through Abbas dac it's better than straight out of Luxman D10X.

When i got the X9K i was rolling different amps with X9K and soon found out that the X9K is extremely source dependent. I mentioned earlier that we get all kinds of reviews with X9K. The X9K is extremely balanced, linear and transparent transducer. With different sources the X9K changes like a chameleon.

I tried X9K with powerfull SS amps and found they push it too much and it loses the relaxness and musicality. When I heard the X9K with my friends DIY tube amp and it was clear to my ears and my friends ears, this sounded best. In comparison 007 behaves quite diffrently with amps. The X9K plays significantly better than any previous phones
wich i have owned.

With this tube chain this combo reminds me of the Original Orpheus, full and meaty but this exceeds Orpheus vastly in transparency soundstage etc.

The Novem and Abbas are a chain and i feed it with my Luxman drive. This is digital pushed to analog as far as possible. I use western electric NOS cables .

So this combo is now tuned to my ears, how it sounds to other ears, i don't know. But i have a very strong feeling that the old school approach with X9K might suit best.
Very good tube amp, not too strong, with analog or like source gives in my opinion best result. Avoid cheap dac sources poor ss amps etc, you are likely to destroy the fine sound of X9K.

The waiting list /time appears to be long for X9K , i guarantee, it's worth to wait every single day.

Mjölnir Audio could build some boutique type amps to match it with X9K :relaxed:

Exciting.
Megatron is likely a good fit too.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #752 of 3,045
Not sure if it is better or not as it really depends on the amp(s) you use with it. In my case, a single Benchmark AHB2 would have its clip light come on momentarily when driving the CRBN, so I needed a second one (running them in bridge mode/mono). No clip lights anymore. Some measurements of the AHB2: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-and-measurements-of-benchmark-ahb2-amp.7628/

The iFi Pro iESL is really nice. Custom hand wound transformers and brand name electrical components. I don't doubt that my setup would compete with any headphone amp at any price as the AHB2's are still the best amps I've seen measurements for. It's also more versatile as I can turn off the iFi iESL and then the amps power my bookshelf speakers in my office. So essentially the amps are powering two different setups.

ifi_Pro_iESL_3.jpg
Are you still running dual mono AHB2s? What differences did you hear vs a single amp? Was it mainly for more headroom? Thanks.

Jan 15, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #753 of 3,045
just to make sure I understood the forum rules correctly , if I advertise on classfieds, deal using MP, etc, to sell my new in box X9000 (and a very lightly used mjolnir carbon) for anything more than MSRP/what I paid, for whatever reason, that would be considered flipping and may be subject to a ban, right, but selling without any profit would be ok?

Jan 15, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #754 of 3,045
Are you still running dual mono AHB2s? What differences did you hear vs a single amp? Was it mainly for more headroom? Thanks.
Yes, for more headroom with the Audeze CRBNs. I doubt I'll need two amps with the SR-X9000's, but don't have them yet. My speakers like the extra amp anyways, so I'm definitely happy with the setup.

Jan 15, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #755 of 3,045
just to make sure I understood the forum rules correctly , if I advertise on classfieds, deal using MP, etc, to sell my new in box X9000 (and a very lightly used mjolnir carbon) for anything more than MSRP/what I paid, for whatever reason, that would be considered flipping and may be subject to a ban, right, but selling without any profit would be ok?
That is my understanding.

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #756 of 3,045
And what happens to the ones selling the old Omegas at crazy high prices 🤷‍♂️🤣

Jan 15, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #757 of 3,045
Flipping is tolerated within particular qualifiers. OOP: out of production units are allowed.
Bespoke custom 'one offs' are tolerated.

IF you try listing your X9 in a auction manner, your ad will be pulled. You may easily flip on other platforms.

If anything, when selling packaged items, you should expect to include a form of discount to incentivize your sale.

Jan 15, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #759 of 3,045
I'd like to flip for profit some x9k at IsellyallMyStax@mac.com or 0800-10-9000. Is that tolerated on this site I should refrain from posting in this particular thread about x9k?

Good luck with your sale @Isantista :p

Jan 16, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #762 of 3,045
Normally and in principle, yes, that's true, if I followed "Geman-like strict rules" (I'm German, by the way :wink:). But the SR-009s was compared to the Susvara in this video (last passage/comparisons), and as the SR-X9000 is part of the STAX improvement story/innovation journey from SR-009/009s, I think this video is of high importance for the community here, following this X9000-thread. It is all about comparison! A headphone cannot be jugded without the comparison with its competitors, so this is NOT off-topic for my personal feeling! (my 2 cents!) ???
What do you think? (I apologize if I am wrong).

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #763 of 3,045
Normally and in principle, yes, that's true, if I followed "Geman-like strict rules" (I'm German, by the way :wink:). But the SR-009s was compared to the Susvara in this video (last passage/comparisons), and as the SR-X9000 is part of the STAX improvement story/innovation journey from SR-009/009s, I think this video is of high importance for the community here, following this X9000-thread. It is all about comparison! A headphone cannot be jugded without the comparison with its competitors, so this is NOT off-topic for my personal feeling! (my 2 cents!) ???
What do you think? (I apologize if I am wrong).
Not really

Compares it to sr009

Jan 16, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #764 of 3,045
OK, but isn't the evolution form SR009/SR009s to X9000 not an important part of the overall STAX story?
I think, here it is very impotant to set different players (stax versus others but also stax versus stax) into relation to fully understand the status, the situation, the measure?
I really don't understand this forum if the thinking is that linear and islolated.
If so, I will restrain from posting here in the future and apologize for not being in-line.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #765 of 3,045
OK, but isn't the evolution form SR009/SR009s to X9000 not an important part of the overall STAX story?
I think, here it is very impotant to set different players (stax versus others but also stax versus stax) into relation to fully understand the status, the situation, the measure?
I really don't understand this forum if the thinking is that linear and islolated.
If so, I will restrain from posting here in the future and apologize for not being in-line.
You linked a 42 minute video review primarily about a planar headphone that makes a passing comparison to the Stax SR-009S in a thread about the SR-X9000. Tangents are bound to occur in any thread, but this is just not of particular interest to the vast majority of prospective SR-X9000 purchasers or owners, IMHO. It's probably a good idea to lurk a bit and observe forum norms if you are new here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back