Stax SR-X9000
Jan 10, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #736 of 3,045
Based on what we're seeing here is my guess:

About 2-5 people a week are ordering the SRX9k. Meaning a 10~ unit delta per month.
Initial orders from first 60 days are only 50% fulfilled by this point.

Back of the napkin...
Oct - 5 waiting
Nov - 20 waiting
Dec - 20 waiting
Jan - 5 waiting

Sept/Oct people waiting will get theirs this month
Nov orders come in Feb-April
Dec orders April-June
Current Jan people will likely not get theirs until June/July

This also means that re-sale on a used unit will likely fetch a small premium up until Fall this year where things will better align with demand
Hate so say this, but may be too optimistic. My Staxaudio (aka Woo) order from 9/21 has no ETA whatsoever (last checked in with them on January 5th) ...

Jan 10, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #737 of 3,045
It would be great if Stax publish here their weekly true capacity and their back orders per month so we all can get a better idea of what level of wait we are facing.

I don’t mind to wait as long as information is available. The most frustrating thing is not having any idea of how long. As long as it is a realistic estimate is fine.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 10, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #738 of 3,045
Hate so say this, but may be too optimistic. My Staxaudio (aka Woo) order from 9/21 has no ETA whatsoever (last checked in with them on January 5th) ...
I don’t think the issue is the retailers. It is not having information from the manufacturer.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 10, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #739 of 3,045
Based on what we're seeing here is my guess:

About 2-5 people a week are ordering the SRX9k. Meaning a 10~ unit delta per month.
Initial orders from first 60 days are only 50% fulfilled by this point.

Back of the napkin...
Oct - 5 waiting
Nov - 20 waiting
Dec - 20 waiting
Jan - 5 waiting

Sept/Oct people waiting will get theirs this month
Nov orders come in Feb-April
Dec orders April-June
Current Jan people will likely not get theirs until June/July

This also means that re-sale on a used unit will likely fetch a small premium up until Fall this year where things will better align with demand
Too bad things aren't this simple. For example, say you ordered from a dealer who put in their order in September, and that they still had a few units left to sell from their first order/lot/batch, but haven't received the headphones... then your purchase date has no bearing on when you might get your headphones. The only thing that matters is when the dealer ordered their lot of them.

Jan 10, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #740 of 3,045
This probably means that the initial demand spillage was higher than anticipated… if by 20-30 units that adds 2-4 months to the wait for everyone.

Audeze told me they guessed flagship eStat demand to be about 2-3 units a week at an on-going basis. Stax might demand a slightly higher number given their reputation in the space. How many people will really want a srx9000 over the course of its life cycle? Given the price I expect the number to be below the sr009 total tally.

Over several years Stax only sold 500~ sr-omega.
Sr009 variants are supposedly built at 20/mo, meaning only about 1700-2000 have been made. It took over a year for the 50 bk limited editions to sell.
If 25% of sr009 owners are willing to upgrade immediately that’s a 4xx-unit demand on day 1.

If there really is a 9+ month lag, Stax is essentially using orders as an interest-free revolver debt to create product. Perhaps they felt the need to get the news out once the CRBN was announced for fear it would cannibalize sales.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #744 of 3,045
This probably means that the initial demand spillage was higher than anticipated… if by 20-30 units that adds 2-4 months to the wait for everyone.

Audeze told me they guessed flagship eStat demand to be about 2-3 units a week at an on-going basis. Stax might demand a slightly higher number given their reputation in the space. How many people will really want a srx9000 over the course of its life cycle? Given the price I expect the number to be below the sr009 total tally.

Over several years Stax only sold 500~ sr-omega.
Sr009 variants are supposedly built at 20/mo, meaning only about 1700-2000 have been made. It took over a year for the 50 bk limited editions to sell.
If 25% of sr009 owners are willing to upgrade immediately that’s a 4xx-unit demand on day 1.

If there really is a 9+ month lag, Stax is essentially using orders as an interest-free revolver debt to create product. Perhaps they felt the need to get the news out once the CRBN was announced for fear it would cannibalize sales.

The 009 figure can't be right. Mine serial number is 3xxx, which means it is about 2000th 009 ever made (the hiend stax headphones start serial number at 1000). And it was purchased years ago. I've heard someone has a number 4xxx 009. 009 was released in 2011 and discontinued in 2020. So there are at least 3000+ 009 made during 9 years of production, which averages about 30 per month.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #745 of 3,045
With the 20 units/month at start, we can imagine it went as far up as 40 units/month at its peak…

As for serial numbers, it’s normally common practice to randomize that a bit over time as the last thing a maker wants is its competitors to have a clear idea of production volume… As such, I would not put my hand in the fire regarding 4k serial number = 3k+ units sold.

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #746 of 3,045
Trying to figure out with wich amps X9K sound best and tried several SS and tube amps and my conclusion is that X9K don't necessarily need powerful amps to sound best.The same was with original Omega.The best so far is the Mjölnir tube amp just phenomenal.

IMG_0614.jpeg

Jan 11, 2022 at 8:19 AM Post #747 of 3,045
Rubbing it in a bit for all those bracing up for 6-9 months wait thinker, aren't you? :o2smile:

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #748 of 3,045
Spoke to the HK distributor . Saying that any order placed now will at earliest be delivered in the third quarter this year

I actually got this update nearly a month ago but didn't want to spread misinformation if it wasn't the case. I think there's enough signal at this point to suggest it's fairly accurate. What I was told is that it's not about the build time, but rather low availability/production of specific parts and that July is the current target. Hopefully something changes between now and then, but it's at least good having the info out there.

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #749 of 3,045
The 009 figure can't be right. Mine serial number is 3xxx, which means it is about 2000th 009 ever made (the hiend stax headphones start serial number at 1000). And it was purchased years ago. I've heard someone has a number 4xxx 009. 009 was released in 2011 and discontinued in 2020. So there are at least 3000+ 009 made during 9 years of production, which averages about 30 per month.

Right. I had the start year off. Forgot it came out that long ago! 2500-3000 would be the estimate with the same forecasting.
25% of 009 users wanting a srx9k in first year 600-800 = average to 50-to-65-unit demand per month.
I saw a photo of Stax having 50+ units hanging, so maybe they had a 2-month head start + can build 10 a month.

Basically... if 10-unit/mo supply is accurate were talking about 2 years to stabilize and maybe longer if the SRX9K holds general consensus for "best in the world" title.
If you want a SRX9K you should get in line ASAP.

Trying to figure out with wich amps X9K sound best and tried several SS and tube amps and my conclusion is that X9K don't necessarily need powerful amps to sound best.The same was with original Omega.The best so far is the Mjölnir tube amp just phenomenal.

How did you find the Novem to work with the Sr009 or Sr007? Love the retro look.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #750 of 3,045
How did you find the Novem to work with the Sr009 or Sr007? Love the retro look.
I have collected rare tubes over the years and use this amp with Siemens Halske 1959 long plates. As a source i use Abbas Audio Nos DAC with the first 16bit Philips 1540 chip. The chain is fully tube and the Novem is all tube circuit . Through Abbas dac it's better than straight out of Luxman D10X.

When i got the X9K i was rolling different amps with X9K and soon found out that the X9K is extremely source dependent. I mentioned earlier that we get all kinds of reviews with X9K. The X9K is extremely balanced, linear and transparent transducer. With different sources the X9K changes like a chameleon.

I tried X9K with powerfull SS amps and found they push it too much and it loses the relaxness and musicality. When I heard the X9K with my friends DIY tube amp and it was clear to my ears and my friends ears, this sounded best. In comparison 007 behaves quite diffrently with amps. The X9K plays significantly better than any previous phones
wich i have owned.

With this tube chain this combo reminds me of the Original Orpheus, full and meaty but this exceeds Orpheus vastly in transparency soundstage etc.

The Novem and Abbas are a chain and i feed it with my Luxman drive. This is digital pushed to analog as far as possible. I use western electric NOS cables .

So this combo is now tuned to my ears, how it sounds to other ears, i don't know. But i have a very strong feeling that the old school approach with X9K might suit best.
Very good tube amp, not too strong, with analog or like source gives in my opinion best result. Avoid cheap dac sources poor ss amps etc, you are likely to destroy the fine sound of X9K.

The waiting list /time appears to be long for X9K , i guarantee, it's worth to wait every single day.

Mjölnir Audio could build some boutique type amps to match it with X9K :relaxed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back