Stax SR-X9000
Dec 7, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #481 of 3,045
Yes. At CanJam the difference between the CRBN on the KGSSHV Carbon vs the Z10e was night/day for all 5+ people I was around.
so which is better the Z10e or the Carbon? Both should be very good amp for sure.

Dec 7, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #483 of 3,045
The Z10e was unlistenable for me. Zero separation, very soft power, had to crank nearly the entire way up.
Carbon opened it up and the e-stat sparkle appeared. Even Audeze's employees agreed.
oh wow, i personally have no expriences with the z10e but the that thing is double the price of the kgsshv carbon, with that money i rather add bit more and find someone to build a DIY T2 lol

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #485 of 3,045
The Z10e was unlistenable for me. Zero separation, very soft power, had to crank nearly the entire way up.
Carbon opened it up and the e-stat sparkle appeared. Even Audeze's employees agreed.

Correct. That's why when you see someone dismiss CRBN because it doesn't perform in their system, you only wonder how they would react if the pairing is compatible.

Dec 7, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #486 of 3,045
95448EDE-D81E-4793-B1BF-541EC496CF57.jpeg

some initial thoughs after playing with my SRX-X9000 for a few hours at home with my Mjolnir Carbon
>compare to the T8000 the Carbon open up the soundstage on the SRX9000 even futher, I will say its nearly HD800 level but without that hollow feeling which i dislike on the HD800, everything note pack a punch but not in your face, and within the dimension it doesnt lack any sound density as the SRX9k have sort of echo effect on the soundstage. which is quite rare as i only expriences it with my R10 before
>resolution is generally higher with better sub bass perofrmances and high extendsion on both spectrum, the T8000 generally gives too much mid bass but not extending downwards enought which makes the headphone sound somehow boomy, but with Carbon the X9000 bass performance is vastly improve (I can feel some similarity with my 007Mk1)
>The treble extension is something which need to be lisen more until i can give a conclusion, its no doute very polite with correct amount of electrostatic spark but just not in your face like the 009
>the sound tuning is somewhat smooth compare to stax other electrostatic offering and my friends say this will futher improve with burn in

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #488 of 3,045
But to be honest I have no idea how long an electrostatic headphone really need for burn in

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #490 of 3,045
20211124_225304.jpg
Stax burn-in their headphones in the factory.
That aside, after I received the X9k, I played the PAD system enhancer CD for 4 times, and the bass just opened up. So yeah, it needs burning in.
so i think is safe to estimate that the SRX9k need atleast 4 cd ablum in order for it to burn in right? i dont have a PAD system enhancer CD so might just use normal sacd...

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #491 of 3,045

some initial thoughs after playing with my SRX-X9000 for a few hours at home with my Mjolnir Carbon
>compare to the T8000 the Carbon open up the soundstage on the SRX9000 even futher, I will say its nearly HD800 level but without that hollow feeling which i dislike on the HD800, everything note pack a punch but not in your face, and within the dimension it doesnt lack any sound density as the SRX9k have sort of echo effect on the soundstage. which is quite rare as i only expriences it with my R10 before
>resolution is generally higher with better sub bass perofrmances and high extendsion on both spectrum, the T8000 generally gives too much mid bass but not extending downwards enought which makes the headphone sound somehow boomy, but with Carbon the X9000 bass performance is vastly improve (I can feel some similarity with my 007Mk1)
>The treble extension is something which need to be lisen more until i can give a conclusion, its no doute very polite with correct amount of electrostatic spark but just not in your face like the 009
>the sound tuning is somewhat smooth compare to stax other electrostatic offering and my friends say this will futher improve with burn in
After another day of burn in the treble seems to extend much better and some of that in your face 009 vocal is back with my SRX9000!

Latest impression
Soundstage ✔︎ (HD800 alike but more precise and dense)
Dynamics △ (one of the best in electrostatic for sure but might not be better than some high end planars)
Sub Bass ✔︎ (007mk1 alike but not quite 007mk2)
Mid Bass △ (might be too much depends on amp, I feel too much on t8000 and well tame on Carbon)
Mid range ✔︎ (typical STAX 009BK)
Vocal ✔︎ (009 alike but not that in my face)
Treble ✔︎ (Extend better than the 009)
Resolution ✔︎✔︎(More or pair with the original SR Omega level, abit higher details than 009BK)
Fit and feels ✔︎ (Lighter than the 009 and made by metal)
Price ❌ (still too expensive for most)
Build quality ? (yet to stand the challenge of time)
Packaging ❌ ( same wooden box that the sr009 came in with a metal plate on top makes it feel cheap, the outer brown box is even worst than the 009 outer box)

I consider this set up (Luxman D08->Crystal Cable Reference Diamond XLR-> Mjolnir Carbon-> STAX SR-X9000) my current end game and I can say in my humble opinion the new X9000 did raise the already high bar of totl electrostatic headphone and is the best headphone in the world.

This surely rival my friends he1. Need to do a an comparison soon.

Will be interested to test my X9000 on a BHSE or even a custom T2, i am sure it will be fun.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #492 of 3,045
I am wishing a after market cable company like brise audio to make a aftermarket cable for the srx9k otherwise what’s the point having a detachable cable ?

Dec 8, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #494 of 3,045
I'm about to enter electrostatic world after spent a lot of years with planars. I hesitated to sacrifice from bass response. after tried almost all of commercially available electrostatics, I found Aperio on another level. I couldn't demo SR-X9000 yet. there is one available at Headphone Audition Amsterdam but it's closed box.
Is there anybody who can compare both headphones in terms of sound characteristic. I had 1266 TC in the past and I miss its bass response. = )
Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 17.40.16.png

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #495 of 3,045
I'm about to enter electrostatic world after spent a lot of years with planars. I hesitated to sacrifice from bass response. after tried almost all of commercially available electrostatics, I found Aperio on another level. I couldn't demo SR-X9000 yet. there is one available at Headphone Audition Amsterdam but it's closed box.
Is there anybody who can compare both headphones in terms of sound characteristic. I had 1266 TC in the past and I miss its bass response. = )
If you are looking for bass response than the x9000 may not be your cup of tea, it’s very good bass and dynamics or even the best within the electrostatic world but when compare to high end planar you might desire more.
In terms of details, resolution, responses, high extension and energy it’s better than the TC but then you will need a powerful amp to drive the x9000

My experience with the stax t8000 in show room was a disappointing one compare to my carbon at home.

If you missed the TC then the best thing probably is to buy another sets of TC since I guess you probably will have amp for it at home, for stax you will need to spend another 5-6k on a decent amp…

However, if you averaged out the general performance I am quite sure that the x9000 is on a higher note than the TC. Even if you consider TC is better than the 009BK.

Afterall I really feel the x9000 is the best headphone I have ever own/listen.

And yeah, the fact is turly not what people expected years ago as many think one day planar will catch up with electrostatic but with the X9000 I can see electrostatics are becoming even better and better catching up with planar in terms of dynamic, soundstage and bass qty

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back