Stax SR-X9000
Feb 11, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #2,251 of 3,032
Just a few quick comments without getting into lengthy detail...after all much is based on personal preferences and opinions as all of the above mentioned amplifiers are in their own way end game.

I owned a Birgir Carbon for 5 years. When I had a BHSE for an extended demo I found it similar in performance level to the Carbon - however I preferred the Carbon
I then had the Aeras in house for an extended demo....and found it to be on the same level as my Carbon.... and could go either way with my preferences
I was at Kerry's and brought my 009S and Linn source with me. It took a 15 minute demo to sign on the dotted line for the T2
My T2 was delivered in the spring of 2022 before Eksonic was officially started and I have now had it for 1 year. Absolutely the best.
@Kerry is a gem

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #2,253 of 3,032
Correct me if I'm wrong, my information is:

KGST, Aeras:
Hybrid, SS input, Tube output (both use 4x 6s4a tubes)
Idle current KGST: approx. 10 mA, Aeras: ?

BHSE, KGGG:
Hybrid, SS input, Tube output (both use 4x EL34 tubes). GG has same input stage as Carbon, but no SiC Fets in output, but tubes. In comparison to BHSe, GG has automatic servo for tube working point. Typical idle current BHSE: 18 mA, GG: 20 mA

Megatron:
All tube (2x 12ax7, 2x 12au7, 4xEL34 plus 4x EL34 (CCS), self balancing tube offset and balance. Idle current: 27 mA

T2:
Hybrid, Tube input 4x 6922), SS, tube output (4x EL34), Idle current I read somewhere 14-20 mA

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #2,254 of 3,032
Just a few quick comments without getting into lengthy detail...after all much is based on personal preferences and opinions as all of the above mentioned amplifiers are in their own way end game.

I owned a Birgir Carbon for 5 years. When I had a BHSE for an extended demo I found it similar in performance level to the Carbon - however I preferred the Carbon
I then had the Aeras in house for an extended demo....and found it to be on the same level as my Carbon.... and could go either way with my preferences
I was at Kerry's and brought my 009S and Linn source with me. It took a 15 minute demo to sign on the dotted line for the T2
My T2 was delivered in the spring of 2022 before Eksonic was officially started and I have now had it for 1 year. Absolutely the best.
Kerry is a gem
I also had Birgir's Carbon, excellent from all points of view, but at that time I had the 009s and 009 black, the x9000 plays in a different league, different timbre, different headstage. If you tell me Areas and Carbon are similar, I think the only upgrade now warranted is the t2.

Feb 11, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #2,255 of 3,032
Really? Would you mind providing a link? I ask because I thought BHSE was based on KGGG, and that Areas was based on KGST.

I'm obviously no expert, and I haven't heard any of them; whatever I understand is just based on anecdotes from other owners.
The original blue Hawaii was Kevin’s answer to the T2 (which at the time was a literal bomb). The BHSE was then a further improvement to try to come closer to the T2 power - it was even though to be an improvement over the OG T2.

KGST is based on the BHSE but with an attempt to make it using lower costing parts. The Stax t1/006 can be modified to be close to the KGST but are not as powerful.

KGGG is the idea of taking the BHSE & Carbon (more powerful than BHSE) and putting their designs together.

The DIY t2 was Kevin’s return to looking at how to do the t2 correctly.

Kerry designed the Aeras off the DIY T2.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #2,256 of 3,032
Correct me if I'm wrong, my information is:

KGST, Aeras:
Hybrid, SS input, Tube output (both use 4x 6s4a tubes)
Idle current KGST: approx. 10 mA, Aeras: ?

BHSE, KGGG:
Hybrid, SS input, Tube output (both use 4x EL34 tubes). GG has same input stage as Carbon, but no SiC Fets in output, but tubes. In comparison to BHSe, GG has automatic servo for tube working point. Typical idle current BHSE: 18 mA, GG: 20 mA

Megatron:
All tube (2x 12ax7, 2x 12au7, 4xEL34 plus 4x EL34 (CCS), self balancing tube offset and balance. Idle current: 27 mA

T2:
Hybrid, Tube input 4x 6922), SS, tube output (4x EL34), Idle current I read somewhere 14-20 mA
….everything seems correct to me, in the end the el34s seem to be the most energetic, I have discovered a great synergy of the x9000 with the 807s, a variant of the el34 that can be used with an adapter base, a world has opened up for me and now I only use the 807s.

Attachments

• E6FE022A-C66A-4A13-B22A-7EF3FE4E92AD.jpeg
    E6FE022A-C66A-4A13-B22A-7EF3FE4E92AD.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
Feb 11, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #2,257 of 3,032
I had the GG assembled by Soren, sold here on headfi, and I didn't like it with x9000, speaking with Soren he told me that the Megatron is the more synergistic one.
With GG I liked X9000 slightly better than with Carbon (however with GG/9000 I was also not completely satisfied). GG sounds in the mids in comparison more "organic", stage was also more 3D). But both Carbon and Megatron I find more neutral compared to GG. I think MT has very good synergy with 9000 (and 009, also with my 007A works very good). I can very much recommend this combination.

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #2,258 of 3,032
Lets also remember that in addition to the amplifier it is the SOURCE which has a lot to do with what we are hearing.
Actually, in my two channel world, it is source first each and every time when it comes to system building.

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #2,259 of 3,032
Lets also remember that in addition to the amplifier it is the SOURCE which has a lot to do with what we are hearing.
Actually, in my two channel world, it is source first each and every time when it comes to system building.
Of course you are right. I just decided to sell my latest Dac purchase due to lacking synergy. But if talking about Dacs (or any source) which are not voiced not too far away from neutral/mainstream, I found the influence less than the one from amplifiers.

Feb 11, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #2,260 of 3,032
I had the GG assembled by Soren, sold here on headfi, and I didn't like it with x9000, speaking with Soren he told me that the Megatron is the more synergistic one.
Interesting. Thanks for the information.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 12, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #2,261 of 3,032
Do you mind elaborating? Not because I disagree, but because my source is a budget streamer, and you clearly have nicer toys than me:) I'm sure I'd benefit from your experience.

Online searches and in-person testing hasn't convinced me of the difference between a Node and (for example) a Linn or Naim, and I haven't gotten a clear answer about differences in SQ, perceived or actual. The last time I walked into a Hifi shop, it was specifically to ask the owner this question. He only sold high-end equipment, no Nodes to be seen, and I was a potential customer. He said that, provided I'm not using the Node's DAC, the only difference is app software. Other more motivated salesmen have vaguely referred to advanced clocking technology, but they seemed as confused as I was/am.

I noticed that you refer to your two-channel world; do you find stereo more source-dependent than headphones? I've had a few audio professionals tell me there's more to scaling in stereo than on headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #2,262 of 3,032
Well Adam, I'm using a simple Node N130 (the newest one) with SPDIF (COAX) output as well as a ROON ROCK installed on an INTEL i7 NUC in passive, fanless housing, output is via several ROPIEE ROON BRIDGES with USB. Both sound rather well, and I haven't felt the urge yet to change that...

Feb 12, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #2,263 of 3,032
Really? Would you mind providing a link? I ask because I thought BHSE was based on KGGG, and that Areas was based on KGST.

I'm obviously no expert, and I haven't heard any of them; whatever I understand is just based on anecdotes from other owners.

I did a pretty in depth comparison you can read here. They definitely aren't similar in tone and sound, but they are in the same league or tier. The Aeras has better timbre and weight to the music, with a warmer tone that's better for most stats, and definitely better bass impact and authority. The BHSE is a bit more spacious and leans more analytical. The differences I found were not large in most aspects, the tonality differences are probably the largest of them.

Feb 12, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #2,264 of 3,032
@Aspirant Audiophile
Instead of getting into a in depth discussion I will instead hark back to a moment in history in the hifi world. This will allow you to pursue your interest via a google search - which will be more in depth than I can explain.

Back in 1973 the stereo world was turned upside down with the introduction of the Linn LP12, an iconic turntable still in production today and still considered amongst the best some 50 years later. Back then in system building the majority of ones budget was allocated to speakers. Amplification, preampfification, and then source followed.

Ivor Tiefenbrun, the founder of Linn, argued a simple premise which is still adhered to today. The most important part of the chain is the source - or in those days the record player. A record contains music and information inside those grooves. One must have a source capable of EXTRACTING as much of that information as possible. If any information (music) is left behind in the grooves one can have the best pre amplification, amplification, and speakers available however it will be for naught. The inferior record player (source) left some music behind in the grooves. Those superior amps and speakers are doing a great job - however there is still music left behind they were not allowed to amplify.

There were many demos conducted in the day (and today as well) which compared two systems. One had the best source available and slightly lower tier amplification and speakers. The other had the best amplification and speakers and a slightly lesser grade source. Overwhelmingly most preferred the system with the superior source.

Caveat - estat ear speakers are a bit different in that they require the best amplification possible. With that said go listen to a X9000 and Carbon, BHSE, T2 etc. and have one system fronted by a Chord Mojo and the other by a Chord DAVE. Let me know which one sounds better.

Another analogy is in the computer business - junk in = junk out

Of course your mileage may vary

Cheers

Feb 12, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #2,265 of 3,032
Do you mind elaborating? Not because I disagree, but because my source is a budget streamer, and you clearly have nicer toys than me:) I'm sure I'd benefit from your experience.

Online searches and in-person testing hasn't convinced me of the difference between a Node and (for example) a Linn or Naim, and I haven't gotten a clear answer about differences in SQ, perceived or actual. The last time I walked into a Hifi shop, it was specifically to ask the owner this question. He only sold high-end equipment, no Nodes to be seen, and I was a potential customer. He said that, provided I'm not using the Node's DAC, the only difference is app software. Other more motivated salesmen have vaguely referred to advanced clocking technology, but they seemed as confused as I was/am.

I noticed that you refer to your two-channel world; do you find stereo more source-dependent than headphones? I've had a few audio professionals tell me there's more to scaling in stereo than on headphones.
In my personal opinion and experience (over 40 years of 2 channel enthusiast and over 14 year involved with headphones) the main difference will be in the clocking and D to A conversion.

If you used the analog outputs of the Node then you will be using the Node’s internal DAC. If you compared it to a higher end streamer/DAC with a better clock and D to A chip set you should hear the difference in sound. Now, if you use the SPDIF output of the Node to feed the digital signal to an external DAC at the same level of that higher end streamer/DAC then you most likely will not hear much of a difference or none because you will be using the Node just to render the digital signal to the external DAC.

I personally think as Streamer the Node is very easy to install and use compared to the iFi Streamer (the small one). The iFi as Streamer/DAC IMO sounds better but it is more difficult to setup the first time. The iFi Neo Stream is better than both but is also over double the price.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back