Stax SR-X9000
Nov 16, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #1,847 of 3,065
Nov 16, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #1,848 of 3,065
The Head-fi crowd typically dislikes hip-hop, so I'm glad to find somebody else who appreciates it :beerchug:
I still love a lot of the seminal old stuff, but don't find much of interest in the modern genre anymore. Maybe it's just cause there's so much more s-h-i-t-e to wade through to uncover the gems, and I lack the patience. Or maybe I'm just getting old and can't relate... LOL.

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #1,849 of 3,065
I still love a lot of the seminal old stuff, but don't find much of interest in the modern genre anymore. Maybe it's just cause there's so much more s-h-i-t-e to wade through to uncover the gems, and I lack the patience. Or maybe I'm just getting old and can't relate... LOL.
There's definitely a lot of trash out there, but production has always been top-notch in the genre. I used to care about lyrics and sh!t, but now all I care about in hip-hop is the beat and the flow. They could be saying anything at all, and as long as they flowed it well with the beat, I'll like it.

Nov 16, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #1,850 of 3,065
B62DF1CD-6799-45F5-98D2-A7AD230946C6.jpeg

It is the fourth time that my friend got Grammy award and he did it again this year.

Last time when he came to listen to my system, he just got his third Grammy. I will invite him again soon to demo my systems with interview of sound impressions in my YouTube channel:) He spent his whole life in the world’s best music halls and playing violin his entire life, therefore he knows best what real music, and real instruments in real venues sound like. Summit systems need summit reviewers. I wish I could get my Shangrila SR when he comes:)

I cherish his thoughts a lot when I tune and build my systems. He is also an electrostatic lover and owned multiple electrostatic systems. Guess what, even Hifiman Dr. Fang invited him for dinner when designing Susvara!

It is all back to music!

Stay tuned!

Attachments

• 295EF4C2-B491-446D-A933-BBD5E2CD222A.jpeg
    295EF4C2-B491-446D-A933-BBD5E2CD222A.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #1,851 of 3,065
I am thinking about an amplifier upgrade for my X9K.
My actual amp is a STAX SRM 007t with 6S4A tubes and CCS upgrade.
Eksonic Aeras or Mjölnir Carbon? Is there anybody who has compared these two?
My music preferences are classic, acoustic, jazz, vocal etc., no rock, metal.
Thanks for your advice.

+1 on that question

I do recall someone here have tested the Aeras but I can't recall when or where those impressions were posted.

I just asked @Kerry if I can borrow an Aeras to demo and review against the Carbon :fingers_crossed:

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2022 at 5:20 AM Post #1,852 of 3,065
On a slightly unrelated note, is there a reason why there aren't more quality solid-state electrostat amps? So far Carbon and SRM-700S are the only two I'm aware of. Is it because transistors are still bad at handling high voltages (I really don't know how true this statement is, I just remember reading about it from somewhere a while back)?

(On another unrelated note, the legendary DIY T2 thread started by Mjolnir Audio's Birgir / spritzer is still a fun read. I wish I had the skills to assemble my own T2 :smile:)
because many of the high voltage transistors that were used no longer exist, due to lack of demand in their original applications like CRT displays

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Nov 17, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #1,853 of 3,065
Fair enough. I really want to hear the T2. I've been tempted to purchase one from time to time. I may in the future, but I need to hear it first. Maybe at a Cam-jam

Have you owned or heard any other electrostatic amp? The T2 is a clear step up from the near top of the line amps in the BHSE, Carbon etc. imo. If you're able to hear those, which are more common and can determine the jump between them, it could make the decision easier. If the 3ES is pretty close in performance, then I would say it may be worth taking the leap. If you feel as if it's quite a bit stronger than those level of amps (which are great btw), then it may be more of a side grade and different flavor.

Obviously only hearing the T2 will curb your itch lol, but just trying to provide some perspective.

One thing I want to add is that people just assume the product they buy is just the end of the road which is not the case at all. My friend who purchased HE-1 system paid twice more on equipments perfecting it. System building requires experience, experimentation, time, and abundant trials and errors if you want to build a serious system.

Personally I spent 5 years buidling my Susvara system and I’m still experimenting for more potentials.

I can't disagree with this and it's taken years on my end and I wouldn't even say my system is fully optimized. The only thing I also want to point out is the other factor of the upgrade bug that keeps people on the endless chase for nirvana. I think it's important to understand to what degree you're optimizing vs. doing the latter. (although the latter is also rewarding to many as a hobby in it of itself so that's cool too)

I could never hear another amp other than the T2 and headphones other than the SGL Sr/HE90 and be content forever. And the x9000 and R10 are right there next in line on that list for me. DAC, same thing, even though I definitely have more curiosity on that front.

There's always a way to better optimize a system (unless you literally stand up a system with a blank check), but as you keep going up the ladder, the juice there is to squeeze just becomes smaller and smaller. I could very easily go down the endless path as others do, but it feels great finally being content to a very, very large degree.

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #1,854 of 3,065
Have you owned or heard any other electrostatic amp? The T2 is a clear step up from the near top of the line amps in the BHSE, Carbon etc. imo. If you're able to hear those, which are more common and can determine the jump between them, it could make the decision easier. If the 3ES is pretty close in performance, then I would say it may be worth taking the leap. If you feel as if it's quite a bit stronger than those level of amps (which are great btw), then it may be more of a side grade and different flavor.

Obviously only hearing the T2 will curb your itch lol, but just trying to provide some perspective.

I can't disagree with this and it's taken years on my end and I wouldn't even say my system is fully optimized. The only thing I also want to point out is the other factor of the upgrade bug that keeps people on the endless chase for nirvana. I think it's important to understand to what degree you're optimizing vs. doing the latter. (although the latter is also rewarding to many as a hobby in it of itself so that's cool too)

I could never hear another amp other than the T2 and headphones other than the SGL Sr/HE90 and be content forever. And the x9000 and R10 are right there next in line on that list for me. DAC, same thing, even though I definitely have more curiosity on that front.

There's always a way to better optimize a system (unless you literally stand up a system with a blank check), but as you keep going up the ladder, the juice there is to squeeze just becomes smaller and smaller. I could very easily go down the endless path as others do, but it feels great finally being content to a very, very large degree.
Unfortunately, Houston is an audio wasteland. I know of one poster who had the BHSE and the Shang and then got the 3ES Elite and said it was much better than then BHSE. Hopefully the T2 will be at Can Jam NYC, but then again I also need the Shang Sr to be there too...

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #1,855 of 3,065
Unfortunately, Houston is an audio wasteland. I know of one poster who had the BHSE and the Shang and then got the 3ES Elite and said it was much better than then BHSE. Hopefully the T2 will be at Can Jam NYC, but then again I also need the Shang Sr to be there too...
Just bring along the one you own.

Nov 17, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #1,856 of 3,065
Just bring along the one you own.
I was thinking about that, but bringing a pricey headphone like that across the country is a little risky. I need to think on that.

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #1,857 of 3,065
I was thinking about that, but bringing a pricey headphone like that across the country is a little risky. I need to think on that.
Not at the same price point, but I've done it several times with my Susvara. I'd recommend a compact hard shell case in a backpack or carry-on rolling suitcase, either of which is permitted inside the show. Never leave it unattended, and lock the cans in your hotel safe if you want to go out on the town. The advantage of having your own headphones is you can try them on any amp at the show.

Nov 17, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #1,858 of 3,065
even with your own HP's the environment at canjam is not conducive to really being able to listen and discern..I go every year here in NYC and love to look at and try on and play with new gear but the the noise and tons of people crowding around you grabbing for the equipment makes it impossible...in fact I got my first introduction and test of the raal sr1a at canjam and with its design it was literally impossible for me to listen to it properly and capture all of its virtues...turns out it is now one of my all time favorites ....that said canjam is a lot of fun

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #1,859 of 3,065
even with your own HP's the environment at canjam is not conducive to really being able to listen and discern..I go every year here in NYC and love to look at and try on and play with new gear but the the noise and tons of people crowding around you grabbing for the equipment makes it impossible...in fact I got my first introduction and test of the raal sr1a at canjam and with its design it was literally impossible for me to listen to it properly and capture all of its virtues...turns out it is now one of my all time favorites ....that said canjam is a lot of fun
I'd agree in many instances. At CanJam NYC 2022, Kerry/Eksonic had a private room with a few well-spaced listening stations. The room wasn't crowded and was notably quiet by CanJam standards. I imagine this was due in part to Eksonic just having launched as a company, coupled with sharing a wing of the hall with only the seminar room. The suites on the other side of the hall housed HeadAmp/DCA, Woo, dCS, and somebody else I'm forgetting. That whole area was generally like a beehive, although I did get some quality listening time over there first thing on Sunday morning. FWIW.

Nov 17, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #1,860 of 3,065
I'd agree in many instances. At CanJam NYC 2022, Kerry/Eksonic had a private room with a few well-spaced listening stations. The room wasn't crowded and was notably quiet by CanJam standards. I imagine this was due in part to Eksonic just having launched as a company, coupled with sharing a wing of the hall with only the seminar room. The suites on the other side of the hall housed HeadAmp/DCA, Woo, dCS, and somebody else I'm forgetting. That whole area was generally like a beehive, although I did get some quality listening time over there first thing on Sunday morning. FWIW.
Personally speaking, show impression is still limited no matter how quiet the room is due to the variances of source, cables, tubes, and such. Normally Woo has the quietest rooms in my opinion.

But you will get a rough idea, sometimes might be misleading. Yet for great designs, even the show demo can be noticeably impressive! After all, the way to know a component is to bring it home.

I would bring my source if I have a target :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back