Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #886 of 1,163
@Jffrsg If it's available in your country, I would suggest iFi iPower. It's way more elegant solution than additional transformer and it (imo) sounds better than stock power adapter that comes with 252s amp. If you manage to get iPower, beware of 252s' reverse polarity (fortunately iPower contains white Reverse Polarity plug, just don't forget to use it before you plug it into 252s amp).

Jul 13, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #888 of 1,163
Since you'll have to use transformer with stock power adapter, you don't need to worry about it.

As for the danger, I am not an electrician, but reversed polarity should mean that *some* pins are switched and so you could damage 252s amp if you plugged in wrong connector. Most adapters have "normal" (NOT reversed) polarity including iFi iPower - thats why I warned you to put on included reverse polarity plug so that you won't accidentaly damage 252s amp.

There's some image I found:
CNT-525PR-3.jpg

If there's someone who can explain it properly (@JimL11 ?) feel free to do so.

Jul 14, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #893 of 1,163
Why don't you just get a 12V 1amp adaptor and change the polarity of the connector to work with the SRM-252S??
It would be a lot cheaper than getting a transformer

Jul 17, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #895 of 1,163
Well I guess that would work too. The guy I asked on Ebay told me I needed to get a transformer so, never considered this. But unfortunately I have no idea how to reverse the polarity of the connector.

Cut the two wires, and connect one wire to the other one. The wires should have different color insulators, so you can't get confused. Use solder to make the joint.

Jul 24, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #897 of 1,163
I listened to the SRS-3100 yesterday in a local dealer in Helsinki and liked them a lot. The dealer mentioned that there is a new version of the L300 coming this fall with for example a detachable cable. I didn't notice discussion about this here. Does anybody here have more info about this?

Jul 25, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #898 of 1,163
I listened to the SRS-3100 yesterday in a local dealer in Helsinki and liked them a lot. The dealer mentioned that there is a new version of the L300 coming this fall with for example a detachable cable. I didn't notice discussion about this here. Does anybody here have more info about this?

About L700 Mk II and L500 Mk II with detachable cable:

Regards,

L.

Jul 29, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #900 of 1,163
I got my L300 limited two days ago and thus entered into the world of Stax. :) I am really liking these. I auditioned two amps - the 252S and the 353X limited and since I heard no differences, decided to keep the 252S also due to it's friendlier form factor. Now a couple of questions to the other owners.

1) Have you applied eq to these? There's a recent discussion about this in the ASR forum here. I have an ADI-2 DAC I could use to eq it with 5 bands. If any of you have done this, could you please share your eq values?
2) I could try the L700 pads since many seem to like these -> does anybody have a used pair to sell?
3) A black front plate would look much nicer on the SRM-252S instead of silver. Do these exist? I emailed this question to Stax also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back