Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
May 22, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #632 of 1,163
Yep I was talking about using a 12v linear supply. I searched but most srs3100 owners seems to use jameco or ifi audio power supply. Haven t see any impressions of someone using a linear power supply with srm252s.

Last edited:
May 23, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #633 of 1,163
Yep I was talking about using a 12v linear supply. I searched but most srs3100 owners seems to use jameco or ifi audio power supply. Haven t see any impressions of someone using a linear power supply with srm252s.
I am using this LPS with upgraded Talema transformer: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC5...-noise-DC-linear-regulated/1000004386010.html
Asked the seller to reverse polarity and add a second cable.
Can't say I hear any changes in SQ, but it just feels right to use LPS.

May 24, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #635 of 1,163
I haven't seen any reviews of the SRM-353XBK yet anywhere. Waiting for my step down transformer to arrive to compare to my SRM-252O (Builtin ODAC)

nJKrPws.jpg

eJ0ST5w.jpg

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #636 of 1,163
I have a pair of Stax SR-L300 Limited Edition Anniversary Earspeakers I purchased from StaxAudio.com. I got them a few weeks ago. I had ordered them in February. Playing them for a few hours I observed more bass than the L300's I bought a few years ago (which I still use). I also have a small collection of Grado headphones so I am more used to headphones on the bright side (I will be 60 latter this year and as you get older high frequency hearing goes). Perhaps these headphones are better served for someone with younger ears. I still have a week to be able to return these or I can sell them if someone wants them. I was told there is a long waiting list for these. My understanding is these ear speakers are rare and may appreciate in value in the future. Should I hold on to them, return them or put them in the head-fi classifieds? I am using a Stax SRM-252S amp/driver. Will these sound better with a higher end driver? The regular L300 sounds great with the 252S but the L300 Limited as another beast more similar to the L700. Does the L700 sound ok with the 252S?. If I purchase a higher end driver like the 353X and don't like it than I will now have 2 items to sell instead of one. That is the problem with this hobby. There are not many places to try this stuff out before you buy.

May 27, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #637 of 1,163
I have a pair of Stax SR-L300 Limited Edition Anniversary Earspeakers I purchased from StaxAudio.com. I got them a few weeks ago. I had ordered them in February. Playing them for a few hours I observed more bass than the L300's I bought a few years ago (which I still use). I also have a small collection of Grado headphones so I am more used to headphones on the bright side (I will be 60 latter this year and as you get older high frequency hearing goes). Perhaps these headphones are better served for someone with younger ears. I still have a week to be able to return these or I can sell them if someone wants them. I was told there is a long waiting list for these. My understanding is these ear speakers are rare and may appreciate in value in the future. Should I hold on to them, return them or put them in the head-fi classifieds? I am using a Stax SRM-252S amp/driver. Will these sound better with a higher end driver? The regular L300 sounds great with the 252S but the L300 Limited as another beast more similar to the L700. Does the L700 sound ok with the 252S?. If I purchase a higher end driver like the 353X and don't like it than I will now have 2 items to sell instead of one. That is the problem with this hobby. There are not many places to try this stuff out before you buy.
I'm considering the same thing! Going to give them a little more of a chance before I make a final verdict and possibly review them. Your 252S is probably throttling them, whether it makes the difference to you keeping them is hard to say. @VRacer-111 has used them on higher-end amps and thinks there is noticeable improvement, but for now I'm content with the 007.

Doubt they'll appreciate in value, maybe stay the same. Due to the 10% restocking fee I think I'll just list them for cheaper on the classifieds. Might lose a little money but it's not a big deal.

May 27, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #638 of 1,163
Current L300 owner here, love the transparency and presentation but I'm missing the low end and a bit of the mids. Also they feel a bit thin to me.

Would trying the Limited Edition be a viable alternative, or should I stick with what I have? I don't plan on upgrading the driver unit anytime soon. (SRM-252S)

May 27, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #639 of 1,163
Current L300 owner here, love the transparency and presentation but I'm missing the low end and a bit of the mids. Also they feel a bit thin to me.

Would trying the Limited Edition be a viable alternative, or should I stick with what I have? I don't plan on upgrading the driver unit anytime soon. (SRM-252S)
Buy L500 pads and turn your L300 into L500.
Less transparency, more mids and bass. You'll be able to switch between L300 and L500 at will.

May 28, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #643 of 1,163

'Thin' sounding is more of a STAX amping/powering thing... L300 are not thin sounding on a setup with some power behind it, very dynamic and full sounding. There is not a large difference between the L300 and L300LE, but there is a difference. However, getting better setup to drive the L300 would be a better improvement than switching to the L300LE.

Low end is outstanding on either (L300 with L500 pads is NICE and much more comfortable), just don't expect subbass presentation like you would in a great dynamic headphone. EQing the low end does help though. I was using a Schiit Loki before, but I just got in an RME ADI-2 DAC this last week (which replaces the Gustard X20U DAC, Schiit Loki, and Schiit EITR)... fully customizeable 5 band PEQ is built into it. The RME ADI-2 DAC is also much smaller than the Gustard X20U - it's almost the exact width of the Mjolnir Audio modded STAX SRD-7 transformer but with much less depth.

Last edited:
May 28, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #644 of 1,163
What amp do you recommend for the L300, something that preferably isn't 2-3x the price of them? I'm somewhat skeptical of changing amps for these, as I've heard from a lot of people that the difference between, say, the 252s and the 353x is minimal, at least on the L300.

I think I'll at least try changing pads first, but since I can't easily find a pair of L500 pads I might see if Vesper can make pads with similar dimensions to them.

May 28, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #645 of 1,163
What amp do you recommend for the L300, something that preferably isn't 2-3x the price of them? I'm somewhat skeptical of changing amps for these, as I've heard from a lot of people that the difference between, say, the 252s and the 353x is minimal, at least on the L300.

I think I'll at least try changing pads first, but since I can't easily find a pair of L500 pads I might see if Vesper can make pads with similar dimensions to them.

The only STAX amp I've heard my former L300's on was an SRM-323S, which is said to be one of the better STAX Driver units for running a Lambda. Not sure what the difference between an SRM-252S and SRM-323S would be, but the L300 are still thin sounding on the SRM-323S compared to the setup I switched over to. The setup is based around the NAD C275BEE stereo amp, which gives them a more full body sound with impressive dynamics and low end. I already owned the amp (it's what powers the fronts/mains of my HT system), which is why I wanted to try the separate Electrostatic transformer + stereo amp route. A Mjolnir modded SRD-7 + NAD C275BEE setup is an expensive proposition if you don't already own the amp - looking @ cost of over $2K (new) for that driver setup. Still much cheaper than the other 3rd party solid state driver options and (from what I've personally heard Lambdas and Omegas on at meets before) about equal with them soundwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back