Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #601 of 1,163
Got in my L300LE this afternoon. Definitely better comfort, no more smashed ears into the driver screen protector! Need to get some more runtime on them but they seem to be coming around very well - bass does seem better than L300.

Congrats, dude! I'm probably nearly as happy to see your foray into Stax as you are.

I'm sure you know my thoughts already; initial comparative impressions are fine, and please post them! But IMO, give them a solid 2 weeks and THEN revisit your comparisons. I find this to be more informative and indicative overall.

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #603 of 1,163
Tell you what, I'm immensely enjoying this album that just recently came out with the L300LE's (24bit, 1.5-1.6Kbps FLAC download):

Could you do a direct comparison of L300 vs L300L with both your 252S as well as your SRD7 setup?

Apr 13, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #605 of 1,163
Just received my L300LE and 353x in black from Headamp (using this with an OL DAC with RCA-in listening via Google Play Music [haters please feel free to hate]). I'm upgrading from an SRM-1/MK-2 with Lambda Pros. The difference is clear -- these are smoother and more detailed, and voices in particular sound even more realistic (I feel like I've moved from the rear of the orchestra to the front center -- perfect). It's easier to place different instruments if listening to jazz, and the soundstage is similar to the Lambda Pros (which is to say, really big). The bass is tighter and punchier, though I detect a bit less rumble at verrry low frequencies (e.g., in Daft Punk's "Doin' it Right", there's a bit less rumble at the intro).

Notably, this isn't a comment on vanilla L300's, but as far as I know, they don't have a thread yet (sorry, mods, if I'm wrong).

I briefly tried normal L300s beside L700s a couple years ago, and the difference I remembered between them was mostly a smoothness gap, with the L700s coming out on top but not justifying the price in my mind. I can't effectively compare the L300LE to those two (and it's been awhile), but for ~$1,800, this setup (OL DAC, SRM-353x, SR-L300LE) is really damn good, and probably end-game for me. Plus everything is nicely designed with that sweet, sweet gold foil logo that I'm a sucker for and reminds me of the glory days of premium Japanese electronics.

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #607 of 1,163
L700 headband assemblies available at Woo Audio now:

https://staxaudio.com/headband/stax-sr-l700-headband-assembly

I just ordered one plus the L700 earpads for my L300LE... Will be selling my ESP950 to help recoup cost - have not even wanted to listen to it once since getting the L300LEs in almosr 2 weeks ago...and the comfort increase going with the L700 headband assembly and earpads should be noticeable and good enough.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #608 of 1,163
L700 headband assemblies available at Woo Audio now:

https://staxaudio.com/headband/stax-sr-l700-headband-assembly

I just ordered one plus the L700 earpads for my L300LE... Will be selling my ESP950 to help recoup cost - have not even wanted to listen to it once since getting the L300LEs in almosr 2 weeks ago...and the comfort increase going with the L700 headband assembly and earpads should be noticeable and good enough.

Did you buy the L700 earpads as well? If you bought both, you may as well bought the L700

Apr 20, 2018 at 1:59 AM Post #609 of 1,163
I really like the L300LE so there's no reason to get a used L700 for around the same price as modded L300LE "L700 clone": a new L700 is another $400+ additional. The L700 is also not a limited edition model with a gold badge on the cage. I wasn't sure from the pictures before receiving it, but after getting it and seeing it in person, the gold badge really does add something to the cage that's normally lacking on Lambdas - REALLY like it compared to the normal plain cage. Plus I'm a modder/tweaker/experimenter by nature - I don't really do stock ANYTHING, just can't help changing something to make it perform/function better for my use of it...

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #610 of 1,163
I really like the L300LE so there's no reason to get a used L700 for around the same price as modded L300LE "L700 clone": a new L700 is another $400+ additional. The L700 is also not a limited edition model with a gold badge on the cage. I wasn't sure from the pictures before receiving it, but after getting it and seeing it in person, the gold badge really does add something to the cage that's normally lacking on Lambdas - REALLY like it compared to the normal plain cage. Plus I'm a modder/tweaker/experimenter by nature - I don't really do stock ANYTHING, just can't help changing something to make it perform/function better for my use of it...

AFAIK, the L300LE only has the same stator technology as the L700. The diaphragm may be different? If so, it wouldn't be possible to mod the LE into the L700.

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #611 of 1,163
AFAIK, the L300LE only has the same stator technology as the L700. The diaphragm may be different? If so, it wouldn't be possible to mod the LE into the L700.

Clones aren't originals... they are facsimiles of the original. In this case, original L700 headband assembly + original L700 pads mean it will feel EXACTLY the same as real L700 on your head. Sure the sound may not be the same, but from what I've read of those who tried L700 pads on L300LE and compared to L700 in the other STAX threads, they sound VERY close to each other...though the L300LE does have inherently "L300" characteristics that differ from L700...

Apr 20, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #612 of 1,163
Good on ya, man. With L700 headband and earpads, I'd call it close enough, personally. Full disclosure, I haven't heard any of the newer models BUT the L700 I own.

You may want to keep the other headband around, though. I find L700 clamp to be actually too light....even just tilting my head back to take my vitamins in the morning, I'm afraid they'll fall off. My SR207's, on the other hand, clamp like a Mofo and would be my choice for a headbanging session :p

Being a Limited Edition, my feeling is that 300LE will hold its' value VERY well over time as well.

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #614 of 1,163

I guess the Yen exchange rate isn't as favorable as it once was when NEW L700's could be had for $1150ish. I think the slight difference in sound between the L700 and L300LE + L700 pads could be attributed to the different cables between the two.

I'm still on the fence whether I'll keep both the L300LE and my Airbow SC-1... maybe sell one or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back