Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #617 of 1,163
Is the L300LE for real? I ordered one and payed for it several months ago and have received nothing. Is Stax having manufacturing problems with these ear speakers?
Yes its real. If you ordered direct from a US retailer estimated shipping date is late Summer 2018 as stated by most of them. I couldn't bear the wait and it possibly not living up to the "L700 at a cheaper price" as some people seem to think that it doesn't indeed match that while some do. I got a refund on my order and will just purchase the L700 as I know what im getting with that although I miss out on having a cool limited item :frowning2:. But after waiting months it got to a certain point where I was a bit frusterated

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #618 of 1,163
Yes its real. If you ordered direct from a US retailer estimated shipping date is late Summer 2018 as stated by most of them. I couldn't bear the wait and it possibly not living up to the "L700 at a cheaper price" as some people seem to think that it doesn't indeed match that while some do. I got a refund on my order and will just purchase the L700 as I know what im getting with that although I miss out on having a cool limited item :frowning2:. But after waiting months it got to a certain point where I was a bit frusterated
just buy from Japan

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #620 of 1,163
Is the L300LE for real? I ordered one and payed for it several months ago and have received nothing. Is Stax having manufacturing problems with these ear speakers?

They are handmade/assembled in batches in a meticulously kept cleanroom environment... takes some time for them to be made.

Got the L700 headband Arc assembly and L700 pads in for my L300LE. Unfortunately the pads will not stay in the mounting holes, they come right out and won't provide a proper seal. Noticeable comfort difference versus the stock L500 pads though... really would like to find a way to install them because they are softer and more plush than the stock L500 pads. Will probably need to carefully remove the pad off the bass and transfer it over to the L300 pad base. Shouldn't have to do this for $120 pads, but I seem to remember this being a thing for L700 pads on L300/L500 housings.

The L700 headband arc assembly is nicer, more articulating and less squeezing on the head, should be even better if could get the L700 pads mounted. Don't like the L700 leather headstrap compared to the more flexible and softer L300 headstrap... will be transferring the L300 headstrap over to the L700 arc.

i-4XsRDFj.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #621 of 1,163
just buy from Japan
But can you even get reliable warranty if you buy japan? You see on expensive headphones I want to be able to get service if there is a failure. Im willing to pay the premium to get that

Correct, if you purchase a Japan unit (or anywhere outside the US), you won't be eligible for Warranty service in the US. You need to weigh that into your purchase decision. Sorta like buying a Used pair; I purchased my L700 used, but at a price that I felt okay trading Warranty rights for.

May 16, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #624 of 1,163
... I just ordered one plus the L700 earpads for my L300LE... Will be selling my ESP950 to help recoup cost - have not even wanted to listen to it once since getting the L300LEs in almosr 2 weeks ago...and the comfort increase going with the L700 headband assembly and earpads should be noticeable and good enough.
Can you say more about how the L300LE compare to your ESP950s? For reference, do your ESP950s have the original pads, or 3rd party pads (like the Vesper)?

May 16, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #625 of 1,163
Can you say more about how the L300LE compare to your ESP950s? For reference, do your ESP950s have the original pads, or 3rd party pads (like the Vesper)?

Compared to stock pads on the ESP950. I also had Vesper pads from Darin Fong as well, but liked the stock pads better for sound. The Vesper pads were more comfortable, but I wasn't a fan of the minor changes in sound which were to me worse than stock - slight veil added to the sound along with change in the highs. The ESP950 were nice, more laid back yet very detailed at the same time, but I've always enjoyed the STAX Lambdas over them. I've actually just sold the ESP950's and shipped them off the beginning of this week. Have the L700 pads on the L300LE now and comfort has improved just a bit with the softer foam and real leather surface, sound is a little smoother and bass slightly improved...

i-P2H7hqS.jpg

May 16, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #626 of 1,163
Compared to stock pads on the ESP950. I also had Vesper pads from Darin Fong as well, but liked the stock pads better for sound. The Vesper pads were more comfortable, but I wasn't a fan of the minor changes in sound which were to me worse than stock - slight veil added to the sound along with change in the highs. The ESP950 were nice, more laid back yet very detailed at the same time, but I've always enjoyed the STAX Lambdas over them. I've actually just sold the ESP950's and shipped them off the beginning of this week. Have the L700 pads on the L300LE now and comfort has improved just a bit with the softer foam and real leather surface, sound is a little smoother and bass slightly improved...
Awesome - thanks for the info & impressions. I have a pair of ESP950s which I rather like - and I agree with the description of them as somewhat less bright than most Lambdas, although still very detailed. I wouldn't exactly call them laid back given their speed, detail, and impact, but I think I understand what you're getting at.

Glad you're loving your L300LEs - makes me want to hear a pair :)

May 22, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #629 of 1,163
Hi, got an SRS3100 from japan and I'd like to know if I should just buy a step down converter ( voltage is 220V in my country) or if using a linear power supply would worth the extra cost ?
Is there gonna be any audible difference or stock supply is already all I need :)

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #630 of 1,163
Hi, got an SRS3100 from japan and I'd like to know if I should just buy a step down converter ( voltage is 220V in my country) or if using a linear power supply would worth the extra cost ?
Is there gonna be any audible difference or stock supply is already all I need :)

NVM

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back