Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #571 of 1,163

Ok, here's my impression...keep in mind I've been listening to the new setup constantly for about a week every night, and just now reconfigured back to the SRM-323S with the system off overnight other than DAC (which I leave on) let it play for the entire album off head to warm up, put on the L300 and went back to the begining of the album and played the first 3 songs to get a feel for the SRM-323S, then played song 6 while fully concentrating on listening. Then powered down the SRM-323S, reconfigured back, powered up, let it play the first 3 songs off head, then put on the L300 and played song 6 while fully concentrating on listening.

I will say noticed a difference right off the bat when first listening to the SRM-323S after exclusively using the C275BEE/Mjolnir SRD-7... seemed not as detailed, but how much was not sure. Sound also seemed more recorded, but bass seemed good. When swapped back to the C275BEE/Mjolnir SRD-7 setup and listening to it again after the SRM-323S, the differences seemed more apparent... definitely seems like a good bit of microdetail increase (string harmonics - sustain & intonation, better finger on string details, clearer detail and finesse in a quick double note hit) background/echo detail also enhanced, definitely was a more live/realistic sound, and the bass seems more dynamic, solid, and punchy.

I definitely do hear a noticeable improvement with the new setup... but it would be easier to quantify how much of a difference if I had a second L300 and a clean way to run both simultaneously off the DAC...if I use the loop out of the SRM-323S the downstream amp is affected some - it does slightly smooth out the sound and also seem to reduce the dynamics just a tad (which was fine for my TH-X00PH dynamic rig, but is not fine going to another Estat rig, especially one that seems to be of better sound quality). I will say the NAD C275BEE is probably the main factor in the sound difference, it's a phenominal 'affordable' amp known for its detail and bass. I picked mine up factory refurbished for a little over $800 from an authorized dealer a few years back when a vintage used NAD 2200PE I had started going out.

P.S. And boy does everything get better with more runtime in a session....yeah about 2 hours in is when the sound really starts getting GOOOD....

Thanks for the added impressions. It is interesting to hear that the L300 improved that much for you over the 323S, especially since that is already a well liked energizer and people have reported that the 323S sounds better than the 252S. Good to know the L300 can keep scaling, and that is exactly what I am trying to test out with my 006t purchase to see how tubes affect the sound. I am also curious how much the speaker amp you pair with the SRD7 impacts the sonic changes. I've heard others report improved benefits using really cheap amps like the $65 SMSL SA50.

Mar 11, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #573 of 1,163
Great, thanks!

There seems to be so much conflicting impressions (as with everything in this hobby) about whether or not L300/500/700 (and probably L300L) scale or change much with different amps. The nervosa of the unknown got the best of me. I ended up scoring a sweet deal on a SR-404 with SRM-006t tube amp. I mostly just wanted to try that amp out and see what Lambdas sound like on tubes. Once I receive that setup I am going to meet up with my buddy who has the L500, L700, and 353X, and I'll bring my L300/252S plus the 404/006t and we will test out every combination of headphones and amps to see how each change and which combos seem to be the best. I'll report my findings here as well as the other related threads. Hopefully that will settle for me whether or not to make the jump to L300L or a used L700 and which source would be the best.
You were the one who got that deal/steal off eBay? Jealous. I just picked up a 3100 to replace my lcd2, which was a bit too laid back for me. Can't wait

Mar 11, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #574 of 1,163
You were the one who got that deal/steal off eBay? Jealous. I just picked up a 3100 to replace my lcd2, which was a bit too laid back for me. Can't wait

Haha yeah I've been going down this stupid Stax rabbit hole lately and have been scouring all the Stax deals. I always prefer tubes with my dynamics so I thought I would hear what tube energizers sound like and if these Lambdas can scale. The 006t seems cool since it also has both pro and normal bias, which means I can try out some vintage Stax stuff too.

I have LCD2C right now and used to have LCD-2F. The L300 is the complete opposite of Audeze stuff. The LCD-2s have that upper mid/low treble dip whereas the L300 is super upper mid forward and aggressive. With LCD-2 being planar, you get that really extended sub-bass, which I feel adds "weight" to the sound. It isn't boomy, but you can really feel the heft in the presentation. Again, the L300 is opposite in that it lacks that deep sub-bass and being estat, it is actually quite weightless, light, and airy. They are pretty good complements actually. The LCD-2 will immediately feel much more veiled, hazy, and laid back in comparison to the Stax. But I kind of think of it like a "warm blanket" of sound, whereas Stax is like sleeping naked on top of your bed haha. The sound is just super transparent and forward. The LCD-2 will just have that comforting, relaxed feel for laid back listening.

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #575 of 1,163
While the subbass is lighter than my modded TH-X00PHs, the L300 definitely has as good extension (if not better) and better detail along with that unbeatable speed. The subbass is just about as good as my modded M1060s but better sounding...run both boosted the same with the Loki beacuse the both are lacking otherwise. Midbass is INSANE, so much punch and clean tightness in the sound...much more impressive than my TH-X00PHs. Drums, piano, bass guitar all awesome on the L300. Brass is pretty sweet as well... especially when pushed:

Mar 11, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #576 of 1,163
I think people would be surprised at the bass capability of the L300. I found it to be an exciting and musical listen. I just couldn’t keep it because of the thin pads and I didn’t want to go through the trouble of pad mods.

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #577 of 1,163
I think people would be surprised at the bass capability of the L300. I found it to be an exciting and musical listen. I just couldn’t keep it because of the thin pads and I didn’t want to go through the trouble of pad mods.
I agree that LXX series has very good mid-bass while L700 take it further adding tuby warm sound to mid and low / L300 is more neutral in mid while L700 more neutral upper-mid ~ treble

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #578 of 1,163
Haha yeah I've been going down this stupid Stax rabbit hole lately and have been scouring all the Stax deals. I always prefer tubes with my dynamics so I thought I would hear what tube energizers sound like and if these Lambdas can scale. The 006t seems cool since it also has both pro and normal bias, which means I can try out some vintage Stax stuff too.

I have LCD2C right now and used to have LCD-2F. The L300 is the complete opposite of Audeze stuff. The LCD-2s have that upper mid/low treble dip whereas the L300 is super upper mid forward and aggressive. With LCD-2 being planar, you get that really extended sub-bass, which I feel adds "weight" to the sound. It isn't boomy, but you can really feel the heft in the presentation. Again, the L300 is opposite in that it lacks that deep sub-bass and being estat, it is actually quite weightless, light, and airy. They are pretty good complements actually. The LCD-2 will immediately feel much more veiled, hazy, and laid back in comparison to the Stax. But I kind of think of it like a "warm blanket" of sound, whereas Stax is like sleeping naked on top of your bed haha. The sound is just super transparent and forward. The LCD-2 will just have that comforting, relaxed feel for laid back listening.
ya audezes are comforting to listen to but i dont think i'll ever own another pair. aside from the lcd4 they don't excel at anything in particular and are only good for passive listening imo. getting into stax sent the detail roaring back

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #579 of 1,163
I've got my L300 LE and measured it against L300:
upload_2018-3-23_3-31-49.png

L300 LE sounds pretty much like L300 with L500/700 pads - I'll measure these next week, along with L700.
Stock L300 has hyper clarity which L300 LE is missing.The only other headphone I have that is capable of such clarity, is Pro 82.
Stock L300 also has much airier presentation than L300 LE.

Mar 23, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #580 of 1,163

L300 LE sounds pretty much like L300 with L500/700 pads - I'll measure these next week, along with L700.
Stock L300 has hyper clarity which L300 LE is missing.The only other headphone I have that is capable of such clarity, is Pro 82.
Very interesting!
Sorry if you already explained elsewhere but... can you please tell the main differences between the L300 and L700? I just love my L300 and I'm looking for info to understand if a future upgrade will be worth the money.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #581 of 1,163
Very interesting!
Sorry if you already explained elsewhere but... can you please tell the main differences between the L300 and L700? I just love my L300 and I'm looking for info to understand if a future upgrade will be worth the money.

All the comparisons are against L1000 (L300 with L700 pads):
L700 with L700 pads - warm sounding - tonality is too sweet, small soundstage, excellent bass. Boring sounding
L1000 is superior in everything but the bass - L700 has thicker bass with better decay

L700 with L500 pads - soundstage increases (still smaller than L1000), mids are not as warm, more clarity. Bass quality is degraded to somewhere between L300 and L1000 levels
L1000 is clearly superior in everything

L700 with L300 pads - Sounds much better when the headband is fully opened (with less pressure), especially the bass.
soundstage increases (equal to L1000), clarity is as good as L1000. Tonality is a bit sweeter than L1000 - I like it, it's perfect (same as L300?). No warm veil whatsoever.
Bass - surprisingly good, at or slightly below L1000 level .
Comfort - not great, ears are touching the protective layer, especially when the headband is in the closed position (not recommended anyway).

L300 with L300 pads - amazing soundstage and clarity, largest wow factor.
Bass is underwhelming in both quality and quantity. Too thin with little decay.

L300 with L500 pads - soundstage is increased over L1000, so is the clarity. Not as warm as L1000.
Bass quality is about as good as L1000

These comparisons were done on Stax SRM-252s, using Oppo HA-2 as a DAC.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #583 of 1,163
L300 with L300 pads - amazing soundstage and clarity, largest wow factor.
Bass is underwhelming in both quality and quantity. Too thin with little decay.
Interesting I find the bass of L300 with their pads almost perfect, at least in my symphonic listenings.
This comparison post was very useful!!! Thanks @BenF

Mar 25, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #584 of 1,163

I've pre-ordered an L300 LE, but the things you mentioned (a downgrade in clarity and air compared to the L300) is a bit of a downer for me. Are there other things that you feel the L300 LE does "better" than the L300's - even if it doesn't fit your own preferences? Thanks,

Mar 25, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #585 of 1,163
I've pre-ordered an L300 LE, but the things you mentioned (a downgrade in clarity and air compared to the L300) is a bit of a downer for me. Are there other things that you feel the L300 LE does "better" than the L300's - even if it doesn't fit your own preferences? Thanks,
others have posted differing impressions, so i wouldn't put too much weight into it yet. there just aren't enough people that have them to conclude how they compare to other lambdas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back