Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Jun 26, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #841 of 1,163
The SR-L300 and SR-L300 Limited 80th Anniversary edition are fairly different sounding...L300 Limited is basically very similar to the L700 (with very similar, near identical stator design if you look closely) - smoother, more laid back presentation and better low end while the L300 is more intimate and shouty. L300 Limiteds are all sold out by now, only 800 were made for STAX's 80th anniversary the beginning of 2018 - so used is only way you'll get one.

The SRM-D50 is an SRM-323S/SRM-353X level driver unit with a DAC, and are said to be a little better than the older SRM-1 MK2 Driver units. Should be good, though a warmer more powerful setup will always be better with STAX. The Koss ESP/950 simply isn't STAX when it comes to bass and clean punchy sound. Ran the ESP/950 off a SRM-323S driver unit with Gustard X20U DAC and Schiit Loki EQ. Loki 20Hz band knob @ 3:00 was required to make bass acceptable, meaning natural sounding. The used L300 I got in while waiting for the L300 Limited I had preordered was okay without EQ, though I still prefer even more low end. L300 Limited is similarly okay without EQ, but with a bit better subbass - still prefered with some EQ though.

I'm using a full blown warm stereo amp rig with estat transformer to drive my L300 Limiteds (modded for more bass via L700 pads and sealing the pad/housing interface) and still using some EQ for reinforcing subbass. The subbass level it puts out is between that of an Argon Mk3 and Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart (...closer to the Argons.)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #842 of 1,163
Yes as the owner of both. SR L300 LE has a more warmer presentation. They have thicker earpads than the L300 (Pads from the L500). Headband is the same, cable is ticker.
Pretty much match what VRacer-111 matches my finding.

You can still get the L300 LE on ebay. Hurry before their price hikes

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #843 of 1,163
The SR-L300 and SR-L300 Limited 80th Anniversary edition are fairly different sounding...L300 Limited is basically very similar to the L700 (with very similar, near identical stator design if you look closely) - smoother, more laid back presentation and better low end while the L300 is more intimate and shouty. L300 Limiteds are all sold out by now, only 800 were made for STAX's 80th anniversary the beginning of 2018 - so used is only way you'll get one.

The SRM-D50 is an SRM-323S/SRM-353X level driver unit with a DAC, and are said to be a little better than the older SRM-1 MK2 Driver units. Should be good, though a warmer more powerful setup will always be better with STAX. The Koss ESP/950 simply isn't STAX when it comes to bass and clean punchy sound. Ran the ESP/950 off a SRM-323S driver unit with Gustard X20U DAC and Schiit Loki EQ. Loki 20Hz band knob @ 3:00 was required to make bass acceptable, meaning natural sounding. The used L300 I got in while waiting for the L300 Limited I had preordered was okay without EQ, though I still prefer even more low end. L300 Limited is similarly okay without EQ, but with a bit better subbass - still prefered with some EQ though.

I'm using a full blown warm stereo amp rig with estat transformer to drive my L300 Limiteds (modded for more bass via L700 pads and sealing the pad/housing interface) and still using some EQ for reinforcing subbass. The subbass level it puts out is between that of an Argon Mk3 and Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart (...closer to the Argons.)
Wow thanks so much Vracer. I definitely liked the sound of the L300 limited edition (from the SRM-D50 anyway) and if it's more smooth and better low end I would probably like it better than the original. I know someone at HeadAmp and he's put one on layaway for me until a while later.

HeadAmp was the same vendor who was displaying these at CanJam SoCal 2019 last weekend that I'm raving about, and they said they still have more new SR L300 limited edition headphones in stock. They are checking their inventory and will get back to me soon. So Anyone looking for the limited edition, HeadAmp has 'em! On sale.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #845 of 1,163
Been a while since I've had the Koss, but much preferred L300 over the ESP950 whether was on the SRM-323S or NAD C275BEE with Mjolnir SRD-7 transformer. To make some theoretical comparisons, the ESP950 would be like a Sennheiser HD6XX where the L300 would be like a Focal Elear (a better behaved one though) and the L300 Limited would be like a Focal Clear (... noticeably better, smoother than the Elear.) The ESP950 is rolled off on both ends, lacking in subbass presence and midbass punch, much more laid back, and just not as clean or quick as the L300.

I've heard an SR-007 Mk2 on my rig briefly for a few songs. It was very similar sounding to my L300 Limited but with stronger bass and better detail. That was before I did the blu-tak mod to seal my L300 Limited and improve the low end. I would consider the SR-007 Mk2 to be better, but would need more time with one to know what the real differences are. My rig seems to be fully capable of driving the 007 Mk2 very well at least. :)

Oh and do you mean SR-L700 or really SR-007 Mk2? Have not heard an L700, which the L300 Limited with L700 pads is supposed to sound very close to. Supposed L700 is a little smoother and less punchy bass... L300 Limited is supposed to have the punchiest bass in the L series.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2019 at 3:49 AM Post #846 of 1,163
Wow that's awesome @VRacer-111 that the L300 Limited is supposed to have the punchiest bass of the L series. It seemed it could already be dark enough but I may be interested in the blu-tack and / or L700 pad mod, if you want to send the link for more info.
I wasn't aware there was an L700 mk2, so no opinion.
I think I heard the 007's quite a while back, and by distant memory I think you must be right, but sometimes too detailed is not a positive thing, so this limited edition could be a real gem. I did notice something akin to the bass texture / presentation being somehow slightly off kilter (not recessed), and would have to listen more to get a handle on it, though it was fantastic enough to get anyway, and try one or both your mods if needed.

Jun 27, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #847 of 1,163
SR-L700, SR-L700 Mk2, and SR-007 Mk2 are all different models.

The L500/L700 thread has info on the blu-tak mod, and some measurements on L500:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-sr-l500-and-sr-l700-impressions-thread.785949/page-86

Most everyone says the Limited edition STAX are the special ones... and based on my sample of two of them I'd agree (SR-L300 Limited and SR-404 Limited). Subbass on the SR-404 Limited noticeably outdoes a stock SR-L300 Limited. Swap to L700 pads and Blu-tak mod the L300 Limited however and you bring it right to near SR-404 Limited level. I absolutely loved the SR-404...it had left driver failure though and that was then end of it unless I could get a contact in Japan and have them deal directly with STAX for repairs. Just sold it off to someone who knows a thing or two about STAX and could refurbish it or use it for parts.

Jun 28, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #848 of 1,163
Yup I'm aware of them being different models. the SR 007 & 009 are the highly resolving / acclaimed round headphones and the SR-L are the rectangular shaped Lambda series. I'm glad I'm getting the L300 limited, and will see how it pairs after some time, with my old SRM-1 MK2 amp.

Moreover dynamic headphones such as HD-600 with aftermarket cable on a tube amp has been my mainstays, and I'm planning to get a new headphone later this year that's the first of it's kind using a special Air Motion Transfer technology. Even among the Empyreans, full line of: ZMF, Focal, Mr. Speakers, Hifiman, and a few Stax models I liked this better. It's called HEDDphone with an electrodynamic driver and you can read about it here.

HeadAmp told me they still have 4 more of the Stax SR L300 limited editions, both new and open box demo unit condition for a reduced price; though they didn't confirm how many of which.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #849 of 1,163
Hello.

I have previously owned the 007 mk1 and L300 as far as Stax goes.

I sold it all and am now looking at getting either L300 with a srm 252s or a used sr-507 with the same amplifier.

Could someone tell me a bit about the differences here? Is there any reason to get the 507 over the L300? I was very happy with the L300, in fact so happy that I am hard pressed to see how anything could beat it. The 007 were clearly better in a pure technical aspect, but I believe I prefer a bit more aggressive sound overall. I've heard 507 is very bright and aggressive sounding. Is it very uneven and bad for genres? Is it a strong lambda, comparable to the current lineup? Where would you put it between the l300, l500 and l700 ?

Thank you very much

Jul 2, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #850 of 1,163
Has anyone tried the l700 headband with the l300 limited? How about the l700 pads with the l300 limited? Does it change the sound signature at all? I do have a pair of l700 but they are not mine, I don't want to start taking them apart. (I find them to be a lot more comfortable for my shaped head, however and would like to see if I can get the same comfort out of my pair.)

Thanks in advance!

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #852 of 1,163
Hello.

I have previously owned the 007 mk1 and L300 as far as Stax goes.

I sold it all and am now looking at getting either L300 with a srm 252s or a used sr-507 with the same amplifier.

Could someone tell me a bit about the differences here? Is there any reason to get the 507 over the L300? I was very happy with the L300, in fact so happy that I am hard pressed to see how anything could beat it. The 007 were clearly better in a pure technical aspect, but I believe I prefer a bit more aggressive sound overall. I've heard 507 is very bright and aggressive sounding. Is it very uneven and bad for genres? Is it a strong lambda, comparable to the current lineup? Where would you put it between the l300, l500 and l700 ?

Thank you very much
I have auditioned 007 MK2 on Blue Hawaii, and strongly prefer L300 even on a lowly SRM-252 (except for the bass).
L300 is MUCH more resolving, and has more natural timbre in vocals.

Jul 2, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #853 of 1,163
Has anyone tried the l700 headband with the l300 limited? How about the l700 pads with the l300 limited? Does it change the sound signature at all? I do have a pair of l700 but they are not mine, I don't want to start taking them apart. (I find them to be a lot more comfortable for my shaped head, however and would like to see if I can get the same comfort out of my pair.)

Thanks in advance!

Thats what I did to my L300 Limiteds (though I swapped the straps, much prefer the stock L300 strap over the L700 strap) - much more comfortable and a little bit better low end extension/presence and little bit smoother sounding. Better articulation for fitting to head as well.

i-P2H7hqS.jpg

You might want to see about going with the L500/L700 MK 2 arc assembly though whenever it becomes available...

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #855 of 1,163
I have both L300 and 007mkII port modded. I use KGSSHV Carbon.

L300 is very bright, has almost no lows, bass extension is lacking, the level of detail is low compared to 007, sound stage is lacking.
007mkII is darker, i think it has the best bass among all electrostatic headphones, 007mkII has good sound stage(not very wide, it's still intimate sounding) with good separation & layering, very very hard to drive and it is way more expensiver than L300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back