Stax SR-L300 Impressions Thread
Nov 22, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #346 of 1,163
I was already considering L700 pads before the L300s got here because of the issues with comfort I read about. As of right now comfort seems fine. But I will very likely get L700 pads in the future simply because I think they look much better and more luxurious. When you say improve bass response, what exactly do you mean? Add bass weight? Or refines the sound? Impact?
The bass hits deeper with longer decay.
The sound overall becomes a little bit warmer, less fatiguing for long sessions

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #350 of 1,163
Still early days in my L300 listening.. I will make a more thorough impressions post tomorrow or in a couple of days.. However, I will say that I am pretty sure that I won't be purchasing more headphones. I cannot find fault in the L300.

edit:

It honestly feels as if the Stax L300 (or e-stats in general?) makes a big mockery of our hobby. It is the definition of "effortless" sound reproduction. It feels as if every other headphone manufacturer is stumbling and fumbling in comparison.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #351 of 1,163
Still early days in my L300 listening.. I will make a more thorough impressions post tomorrow or in a couple of days.. However, I will say that I am pretty sure that I won't be purchasing more headphones. I cannot find fault in the L300.

edit:

It honestly feels as if the Stax L300 (or e-stats in general?) makes a big mockery of our hobby. It is the definition of "effortless" sound reproduction. It feels as if every other headphone manufacturer is stumbling and fumbling in comparison.

Thats great, im really hoping that it can be my 'GOTO' desk setup as Ive sold all my other headphones. All my listening now is done on my FInal Audio LAB1. Im honestly gonna be impressed if the L300 surpasses the LAB1s. Cos none have gone close so far

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #352 of 1,163
Thats great, im really hoping that it can be my 'GOTO' desk setup as Ive sold all my other headphones. All my listening now is done on my FInal Audio LAB1. Im honestly gonna be impressed if the L300 surpasses the LAB1s. Cos none have gone close so far
I have never heard the Final Audio Lab 1's, but considering I have heard full sized headphones at the same price range, I can say that if details, speed and neutrality is important for you, L300 will positively blow it out of the water.

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #353 of 1,163
I have never heard the Final Audio Lab 1's, but considering I have heard full sized headphones at the same price range, I can say that if details, speed and neutrality is important for you, L300 will positively blow it out of the water.

It is important for me, but so is timbre, being natural and most importantly overall tonality. The music has to hit my soul, if you get im saying. If I get emotional listening to it, then its a keeper. So far only the LAB1s can do this for me and it delivers in spades

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #354 of 1,163

edit:

You should listen to Pro 82, AB-1266, Elear and TH900MK2.
As far as L300's faults go, its "synthetic" bass is a big one.

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #355 of 1,163
It is important for me, but so is timbre, being natural and most importantly overall tonality. The music has to hit my soul, if you get im saying. If I get emotional listening to it, then its a keeper. So far only the LAB1s can do this for me and it delivers in spades

Hmm, nobody but you can answer that question.

I'll say that based on the headphones I've heard, if we put the TH 900 and Audeze LCD 2's way into the "euphonic" territory on the one side, and the Senn HD650 way into the "dull and boring" territory, the L300 is about slap bang in the middle. It is somewhat of a cross between the LCD 2 and TH 900 for me. The LCD 2 is smooth, intimate and cozy, but lacks the dynamics and impact compared to the TH 900, which kicks down the door and fires up a party no matter what. TH 900 is fast, aggressive and has a ton of life. But the TH 900 is also abrasive and rude, and lacks balance.

The L300 strikes a balance. Its not as smooth or laid back as the LCD 2 is - it is much too disciplined, fast and accurate. But it never gets abrasive like the TH 900 does. Or, I shouldn't say never. The treble is more sparkly than a lot of other cans, so depending on how sensitive you are, they might carry a bit too much energy up high.

If we say that TH 900 adds a ton of life and energy into a recording, and the LCD 2 adds a ton of uh... honey and warm hugs into recordings, the L300 is more on the analytical side of things to my ears. The main objective of the L300 seems to be to represent the music as it is, with a magnificent balance. It does not seem to emphasize anything in particular. As such, it is a technical masterpiece comparing it to the fostex and audeze. I would also say that it is much, much more versatile - for a one headphone kinda guy like you, I can't imagine something that is more versatile than this.

But I don't want to say the L300 is dull or lifeless. I think that a bit about the HD650, and I don't feel the L300 is the same way. There is more energy, more impact and life in the L300s.

Please remember that I just recieved my unit today, so take everything I am saying here with a gigantic grain of salt.

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #356 of 1,163
You should listen to Pro 82, AB-1266, Elear and TH900MK2.
As far as L300's faults go, its "synthetic" bass is a big one.

Did you miss my avi? Hehe. I own the TH 900s. They are more impactful indeed, but the L300 is clearly much more balanced and detailed to my ears.

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #357 of 1,163
I have heard Lab 1. It's very good, but not amazing. LZ-A2 Pro and Andromeda beat it easily.
I also like FAD Heaven VI and VII (own both) better (but not II, IV or VIII).

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #358 of 1,163
Hmm, nobody but you can answer that question.

I'll say that based on the headphones I've heard, if we put the TH 900 and Audeze LCD 2's way into the "euphonic" territory on the one side, and the Senn HD650 way into the "dull and boring" territory, the L300 is about slap bang in the middle. It is somewhat of a cross between the LCD 2 and TH 900 for me. The LCD 2 is smooth, intimate and cozy, but lacks the dynamics and impact compared to the TH 900, which kicks down the door and fires up a party no matter what. TH 900 is fast, aggressive and has a ton of life. But the TH 900 is also abrasive and rude, and lacks balance.

The L300 strikes a balance. Its not as smooth or laid back as the LCD 2 is - it is much too disciplined, fast and accurate. But it never gets abrasive like the TH 900 does. Or, I shouldn't say never. The treble is more sparkly than a lot of other cans, so depending on how sensitive you are, they might carry a bit too much energy up high.

If we say that TH 900 adds a ton of life and energy into a recording, and the LCD 2 adds a ton of uh... honey and warm hugs into recordings, the L300 is more on the analytical side of things to my ears. The main objective of the L300 seems to be to represent the music as it is, with a magnificent balance. It does not seem to emphasize anything in particular. As such, it is a technical masterpiece comparing it to the fostex and audeze. I would also say that it is much, much more versatile - for a one headphone kinda guy like you, I can't imagine something that is more versatile than this.

But I don't want to say the L300 is dull or lifeless. I think that a bit about the HD650, and I don't feel the L300 is the same way. There is more energy, more impact and life in the L300s.

Please remember that I just recieved my unit today, so take everything I am saying here with a gigantic grain of salt.

Great explanation.. Im really looking forward to my 1st forray to electrostatic gear. Ive been reading tons about them and is liking what Im reading. But to be honest, im more curious to how they sound more than anything hahah..Super excited

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #359 of 1,163
I have heard Lab 1. It's very good, but not amazing. LZ-A2 Pro and Andromeda beat it easily.
I also like FAD Heaven VI and VII (own both) better (but not II, IV or VIII).
to each own, its all about the preferred signature. I love how its lush, smooth, dark but hits you with tons of details and nuances. Nothing like ive ever heard.. but back to the L300!!! hahah

Nov 22, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #360 of 1,163
Great explanation.. Im really looking forward to my 1st forray to electrostatic gear. Ive been reading tons about them and is liking what Im reading. But to be honest, im more curious to how they sound more than anything hahah..Super excited

I got really caught up about the electrostat part.. same thing happened before I tried planar magnetics.. They're headphones, they produce sound. They sound like headphones ot me! I will say that the L300 has taken the presentation of many full size headphones where you get sounds coming from different "points" in the headphones, or layers if you will (I think TH 900 does a good job with this), and maximized it. The L300 envelopes your head in music, and its soundstage and imaging seems pretty damn awesome to me. Soundstage is both wide and deep, but manages to seem intimate as well.. I'll say its more intimate than it is "massive".

I will say this, since I was in your position about 15 hours ago..

What I expected was some very thin sounding, very analytical, strange beings of headphones. I expected details in spades.

What I got was some very detailed and analytical headphones, but they are also AWESOME for music listening. I think I expected some strange monitoring equipment that was meant to inspect recordings or something, I didn't consider that they were going to be awesome to listen to music of all genres with. But that is what they are.

To my ears they are just magnificent headphones that does so very very much right and basiaclly nothing wrong. BenF has a point with the bass comment, many headphones do bass better than the L300 - but for me I had zero expections for bass cause I already own the TH 900 and Denon AH-D5000 - I wasn't shopping for bass cans.

If I were to fault the L300s, I'd say that the treble can get hot if you listen to very loud volumes or partcularly nasty recordings, and the headphone is not fit for bass music. But I find that the only real headphone that can do bass music while not muddying up every other genre is TH900. I remember when I just got into headphones, the track Supererogation by Chimp Spanner always had this thick oatmeal consistency on my Denon Ah-D5000 and Sony XBA h3 IEMs. Same with some Tycho tracks. The TH 900 basically had the perfect amount of clarity and "thiness" to do those tracks justice.. Or so I thought until I heard the L300. The blend of details, transient response and overall clarity/resolution is just staggering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back