Stax SR 507 or 407 ?
Aug 22, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:
I heard both SR-507 and SR-007A on a very good modded Stax tube amp - for my personal preferences I preferred the SR507 although both were great. For my tastes they are actually the best phones I have heard, I prefer them not just to the 007 but the LCD-2, HE6, T1 and certainly the disapointingly bad (for my tatses) HD800.

This just highlights a point about asking advice - all you're going to get is honest opinion. You have no way of knowing if your tastes are closer to the guy who thinks the 507 is worse than all those phones, or me who prefers them.

One thing I'll say is you can get the SR407 (or probably even the SR307), buy some replacement SR507 pads and you'll basically have a much cheaper SR507.

Unfortunately I have not heard the SR-007, but I agree with you on the rest. I prefer the SR-507 over the HD800, Audeze LCD2, LCD3, Hifiman HE-6, HE-500. Actually I even preferred the well broken-in pair of SR-307 + 323 of the Stax dealer over the HD800. 

I really wanted to buy the HD800, for its comfort, engineering, looks, made in EU, etc. But the sound was a bit artificial when compared to the Stax, and I always felt something lacking, and conversely, I was always surprised by how good the Stax were. Too bad the 507 were a bit too big for my head, and are pretty ugly anyway. I didn't have access to exotic amps often quoted with the HD800, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I spent some time with the HE6 and HE500 too. Not bad at first, but after a while it became irritant that the Hifimans had a slight zingy quality to their sound. I tried to switch the earpads, with good results, e.g. Stax 007 pads improved them considerably, and I read the Audeze pads may improve them even more. However, they still sounded a bit zingy. Removed the pads, and it became clear how they could potentially sound: very, very deep (much deeper than with pads), with a bit of bass boost, and prominently zingy treble. Not bad at all, but the others were more accurate. I could say a similar opinion about the Grados, which have a similar, but even more accentuated sound signature. I hope Hifiman could solve these issues and make a ~500 EUR headphone which is accurate enough.

As for the Audeze, they did sound a bit dark at first, but I got completely accustomed with them in a short while, and they still revealed true music - with some lack of treble, which made me feel older than I am :). I would have been happy with either Audeze, if I didn't hear the Stax 507 with the amp I've got. A lot of instruments (fagots, trumpets, violins, percussion, piano) sounded more natural, more extended and with more resolved body resonance on the SR-507, not mentioning the ambience of the recording (e.g. on Jazz at the Pawnshop, Vol.1.). The SR-507 is similarly open sounding, but "calmer" (could I say darker?) than the HD800, which screamed out every detail on the recording a bit too prominently (I tried both early and recent 16xxx serial number samples). 

Unfortunately I could not get to the Fostex TH-900, it would have been nice to try. But since the 507 sounded so much better to me than the other, highly acclaimed headphones, I think the only headphone I would upgrade to would be the Stax SR-009, at several times the price of my current setup. So this SR-507 is good enough for me, and I am surprised by joy every time I listen to it - in the evenings, since otherwise I mainly listen to speakers for more realistic image depth :).

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #32 of 49
My 507s had fully broken in, the problems I mentioned before had gone.

Now the the sound is so natural & balanced, that made it sound convincing and real.
I found myself are more focused on the music, not the sound effects,
It doesn't make me think how good/bad it is, just deliver the music.
& there are some sweetness in the sound,which I like.

One of the most all-rounded headphone I've heard. I listen to it most of the time now

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #33 of 49
You know, attempts at character assassination rarely make you look better than audiophoolery. And I happen to agree with him about the electrostatic thing, and so do plenty of others.

Sep 6, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #36 of 49
Quote:
Does anyone know how the SR-507 sounds with the 323s, or does it really need to be partnered with the 006t?

SRM600 limited is the best for 507, sound smooth, natural & sweet,more refined
006t/007t are not as refined as the srm600

with the 323,the 507s may sound "digital"

Sep 6, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

SRM600 limited is the best for 507, sound smooth, natural & sweet,more refined
006t/007t are not as refined as the srm600

You've probably just answered my question. Thanks
happy_face1.gif

Sep 10, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #39 of 49
The sound difference of T1/006t/SRM600/007t are mainly cause by the components quality,
the SRM600 dual heater power supply help some too,

Most amps made by stax are great. but the components they use is compromised
Compare to my bloody mod T1S, there is no match,my T1S is much more lifelike ,more sweet juice lol...

if you can  diy yourself, you may try some mods on any of these amps

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Is the 507 best with the GES or 006tS? And looking to upgrade later to 007, would either of those two do it justice?

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #41 of 49

Quote:

Is the 507 best with the GES or 006tS? And looking to upgrade later to 007, would either of those two do it justice?

007 very hard to drive headphones, they need a lot of power, basically GES can't drive them fully, even WooAudio thinks like this: http://wooaudio.com/docs/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf
But on my normal volume I liked sound of my upgraded GES more than KGSS on 007 (and on 507 I liked my upgraded GES much more than on KGSS), but on volume more than normal there was clearly hearable distortions in sound, so if you like to listen music loud I strongly not recommend to buy GES + 007 combo...
As for 006tS I don't know if he can drive 007 or not, from the STAX amps I only heared SRM-T1... 

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #42 of 49
Great info, thanks for the link. I guess the question is, can the 006tS drive the 007 reasonably until upgrade happens?

Apr 26, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #44 of 49
for what its worth i pulled the alps 50k pot out and fitted a chinese dale/vishay stepped ladder attenuator costing $30 fitted with ko-on resistors and transformed everything about the srm323s's reputation if only Stax fitted them as standard!.Suppose the company would not have an upgrade ladder

Jun 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #45 of 49
i have the 207 and the 507 and the sound difference is not so great but more of a balanced" right" feeling to violins as the upper high frequencies are'nt clipped there not  as compressed.comfort is better with the steel headband and leather cups and steel fork yokes holding the drive units are guaranteed to take the knocks.The lower uf cable is the factor that is not rolling off the high frequencies giving the lows a balance'I .I modded my srm- 323s by junking the alps 50k pot and in its place the DACT  ct2 was fitted and the 207 was in the ballpark again...but so was the 507 which showed more detail than the 207

Users who are viewing this thread

Back