Stax SR 507 or 407 ?
May 23, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #46 of 52
as PKSHAN above states,
i also find there is TOO MUCH BASS in the latest sr 507 , and 323s  stax combo

if anyone has ideas how to reduce the QTY of bass, esp in the lowest 20 to 100 Hz area
this will really heal my headaches...
can barely hear the rest of really cool acoustic frequencies, thanks to all the bass busting...duh

thanks
k

Jan 2, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #48 of 52
The real issue of 507 is the timbre, the bass has a little too much impact,

TOO MUCH BASS in the latest sr 507 , and 323s stax combo

k

Wellp, you and @kaybee sold me on the 507. Where do I sign up? xD

I'm not even joking, @pkshan's "little too much impact" is likely just right for @DJtheRocket :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #49 of 52
Quote:

I spent some time with the HE6 and HE500 too. Not bad at first, but after a while it became irritant that the Hifimans had a slight zingy quality to their sound. I tried to switch the earpads, with good results, e.g. Stax 007 pads improved them considerably, and I read the Audeze pads may improve them even more. However, they still sounded a bit zingy. Removed the pads, and it became clear how they could potentially sound: very, very deep (much deeper than with pads), with a bit of bass boost, and prominently zingy treble. Not bad at all, but the others were more accurate. I could say a similar opinion about the Grados, which have a similar, but even more accentuated sound signature. I hope Hifiman could solve these issues and make a ~500 EUR headphone which is accurate enough.

I know that this is a very old post. I just want to say that I agree with the poster’s statement about the HE-6 having that zingy quality which to me makes the HE-6 eventually fatiguing. This is completely absent from listening to SR-007Mk1.

May 7, 2024 at 3:06 AM Post #50 of 52
Bringing up back a old topic my appologies
Owning a Stax SR 407 for more than a month now and I couldn't be more impressed and still am.
I'm owning also a hifiman HE-6SE V2 currently, the SR 407 just beats the hifiman in all area's except maybe the bass quantity.
Just want to say the hifiman HE6 has been my favorite headphone for years, I loved it for it's detail, bass impact, and clarity (I thought first this was among the best in clarity, I was wrong lol). I prefered the HE6 above any pre owned HE1000, because it had some characteristics (softness, refinement) only a Susvara could do kind of hard to explain.
Yes I owned a Susvara for 2 months but because of the bad price performance ratio I sold it, too expensive for only a little bit more refinement compared to the HE-6SE V2.

Go figure the HE6 sounds muffled now if I compare it directly with the SR 407
HE6 has suddenly much less detail, clarity, less instrument separation and sounding flat soundstage, lacking that "3D-ish" Stage compared to the Stax SR 407.
SR 407 soundstage is comparable in width (SR 407 maybe bit wider) and a endless kind of soundstage depth it can for example bring vocals in front of you which the HE6 can't do.

On a side note the SR407 doesn't have that subbass lowest note like the HE6 does.
but I find the bass quality much better than the HE6, the SR 407 has more texture.
Using the right EQ the SR407 has more than enough bass that satisfies me, I never found it does lack bass in any way.
It has this kind of electrostatic addictive clarity, texture, controll and quality I just wished it had more in maybe the lowest notes.

I wouldn't be surprised the SR 307 / 407 / 507 and other lambda's still compete with the higer end models of Stax like the SR 009 or 007

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #51 of 52
Hi there,
I read that the stax SR 507 and 407 have the same transductor.
I suppose they play at the same way.
In your opinion the price difference have make sense?
in my opinion - just buy l300
technology does not stand still
you can also look for lambda signature with a 1 micron membrane
but it is much more expensive and more difficult than buying an l300

May 8, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #52 of 52
in my opinion - just buy l300
technology does not stand still
you can also look for lambda signature with a 1 micron membrane
but it is much more expensive and more difficult than buying an l300
The SR 407 does have a 1 micron membrane but yeah the L300 would also be a good entry level option.
I think only the L700 is technically better than the SR 407. The SR 407 is considered in between the L500 and L700 in technical level.

The SR407 does better bass than the L300 even with the bluetac mod, also has wider stage.
SR 407 is also a more refined unit tbh (maybe i'm more fan of older stax sound) I was a bit underwelmed with the L300/500.
The L700 is really good though, probably the best "lambda" model you can get but for that kind of money I think i'll save up and buy a 007 or 009s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back