Stax SR-303 versus SR-404
Mar 8, 2009 at 11:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jirams

500+ Head-Fier
The only difference between the published specs of the 303 and 404 appears to be that the 404 has a cable capacitance of 110 pF against 120 pF of the 303. This small amount would only affect the higher frequency components of the audio signal with the 303 perhaps having some of the HF shunted away compared to the 404. Is there a significant difference in perceived performance? There certainly is a significant difference in cost.

Mar 8, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6moons audio reviews: STAX*3030 vs 4040 systems

Thanks for link .......... the reviewer :

.........."Back on my head, the SR-303 proved a virtual clone of the SR-404 not just in the looks, size and constructional details department. The only useful aural differentiator I thought I could eventually pin down? A very fine softening of leading edges. "

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 20
The SR-404 is not worth the $$$ unless you have a good amp, then you can tell the difference in sound quality. The cable is the only difference. So If you have a decent amp you can save yourself some dough and get an SR-303

Mar 8, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 20
Imo, I would track down a older lambda. My LNS costed less than a 404, but sounds much better (I used to have a 404).

Mar 9, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imo, I would track down a older lambda. My LNS costed less than a 404, but sounds much better (I used to have a 404).

I find the model designations used by Stax very confusing. Do you mean the Lambda Basic model? Or is Lambda the name for a series of phones before 202/3/4 designations were introduced? I once had a Lambda Basic model and was not over impressed with it, the amp was SRM 212. I find the SRM 212 is superb with SR003 in-ear phones, nevertheless.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #7 of 20
It is very confusing indeed

Stax Earspeakers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am talking about

Lambda Nova's
Lambda Pro's
Lambda Signature
Lambda (normal bias)

The "Lambda basic" is a 202 afaik. They don't use the Lambda name anymore, so you won't see lambda basic in the link I gave.

Mar 9, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #9 of 20
I find the difference between the SR-303 and SR-404 to be minimal.
The SR-404 have a slightly more open top-end, but that's it. So probably not worth the $70'ish price difference, just sound wise. For the sake of mind it might be though, since you know that you miss out a little bit...

As mentioned above, the vintage Lambda's are definitely worth looking into as well.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 20
Sometimes you can find a 404 for sale at the price of a 303 and I think those would be worth the going far.

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 20
Yeah, I think the only difference besides color is the wider cable on the SR-404 which decreases capacitance slightly. Both cables are PC-OCC. Stax may also do something like better match the drivers on the SR-404, who knows. Well, spritzer probably does.

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoliloCey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-404 is not worth the $$$ unless you have a good amp, then you can tell the difference in sound quality. The cable is the only difference. So If you have a decent amp you can save yourself some dough and get an SR-303

I agree with SoliloCey.

I've listened through a variety of amps (Naim 32.5/250 via SRD7Pro/ McAllister EA-4/ SRD-XPro/ Woo GES) with the same source, ICs, etc and my take is as follows:

What folks say about the 303s and 404s is right. They are forward, sometimes brashly so, in the upper midrange. It adds some energy, particularly with some instruments and vocals, but it isn't consistently a positive. I also find the Stax pads to get sweaty compared to other ESPs so I've never been a big fan of Lambdas for long listens. However, that said, these headphones have a number of the exceptional Stax characteristics, including solid bass (great for rock) and fine presentation of intricate detail (not at the same level as the SR-007, obviously, but still quite acceptable/enjoyable).

These get my feet tapping and are a fine ESP to settle on price-wise to get most of what the better ESPs provide. They're lighter and more comfortable than the SR-007, and easilly deliver their best without any of the SR-007's (fiddly) pad adjustments, similar to the HE60s in that respect (though not as comfortable and light as the HE60s).

I still prefer the Lambda Normals from an SQ balance perspective but these later models do drive that touch better.

In terms of SQ my burned in new 303s definitely didn't quite reach the same level as my burned in 404s - and this seemed more apparent with the Naim 32.5/250 via SRD7Pro/ McAllister EA-4/ Woo GES driving them (Yes, both sets were charged up for 20+ minutes and then run for 20 minutes bafore any critical listening
rolleyes.gif
). Both had new pads and felt the same but I could definitely hear a clearer resolution with the 404s; it's not so much the details - they seem equivalent, at least in micro detail - but the overall presentation is a touch smoother, fuller, richer (and that's most noticeable with the better resolving amps).

The 303s are just a touch thinner in their reproduction, the 404s a touch richer. Both are a good step of realism away from the better headphones (SR-007, etc) - a touch better than the SR-001 in some respects but not in some. The SRD-X Pro gives them a quite similar sound presentation but a noticeable touch behind in all aspects compared to the better amps - but in some respects that helps the 303s/404s because it smooths out a bit of the etch you can experience with these phones on the better resolving setups. But, in general, for most tracks I'd say that isn't truly a factor to encourage you away from the better setups.

You can also find more info on both phones here - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sta...ummary-355517/

Mar 10, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #13 of 20
Why is there so much hatred of the SR-303/404 and can it be resolved with some mineral wool?

I'm trying to think of how to get rid of the nasty resonance caused by the Lambda frame as well. Thoughts?

Mar 10, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #14 of 20
The wool would definitely help but also diminish detail retrieval and do strange things to the bass (as can be heard in the L-Pro's). A much better option would be to ditch the plastic shell of the housing and have something better made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back