STAX SR-009S new flagship electrostatic earspeakers released (with impressions)
May 23, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #181 of 1,367
September is what I was told when my order went in last month

May 23, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #182 of 1,367
Having built line arrays where the effects of comb filtering vs centre to centre distance and also having played with the effects of port dimensions on speaker response group delay and other issues I would have to disagree I've made and measured speakers that show these issues...

I have to agree with Arnaud on this and disagree with you. Given that the wavelength of a 20 kHz sound wave is around 17mm, this is significantly less than the distance between tweeters in a line array hence the issues with comb filtering in speakers. At the same time it is significantly greater than the distance between holes in an electrostatic headphone stator, hence the LACK of comb filtering in that setting. You simply cannot compare the two situations as the relative dimension are so different. It's like saying that a rat can crawl through a 3" hole, so it should equally be able to crawl through a 1/4" hole - one does not follow from the other.

May 24, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #183 of 1,367
Got in the preorder queue, slot the 009S in the amp as well as the 009 for an easy comparison. I am being told mid June delivery.
Same to me on german distributor.

May 26, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #185 of 1,367
Without going into 5 digit prices, it’s hard to say because:
1. I don’t think anyone has heard these on anything other than Stax brand amps
2. It likely will come down to user preferences. For example, some with the 009 prefer the Carbon and some the BHSE or something similar.

My personal preference for the 009S would be something with a tube based on hearing it with the T8000 and what I think of the original 009’s character.

May 26, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #188 of 1,367
As pricejapan is out of order (for pretty much 2 years now ?), what would be the best way to buy an 009S at japanese price ?

Ali

Find you friendly Japanese resident or expat and have them ship it to you.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #189 of 1,367
As pricejapan is out of order (for pretty much 2 years now ?), what would be the best way to buy an 009S at japanese price ?
Ali

I'm more than happy to order one for you Ali :). Then, if you're concerned about it performing as expected, there is no issue with me doing a preliminary run in on the BHSE either :wink:.

The price is that different from France? (BTW, if import duties are a concern and provided I get it on time, I am traveling to France during first 2 weeks of august...)

cheers,
arnaud

May 26, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #190 of 1,367
My personal preference for the 009S would be something with a tube based on hearing it with the T8000 and what I think of the original 009’s character.

Since I am relatively new to the Stax game I can only state from what littlevI have experienced. One common thread I do see is almost universal hatred of the T8000. Is it really that bad? If so then aren't Stax doing a disservice to the 009S by demoing with this amp (although I realize they have to). Does that also imply that the 009S are most likely even better than initial reports considering that people have only heard them with the T8000?

Are the other Stax tube amps held in equal disdain?

May 26, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #191 of 1,367
Since I am relatively new to the Stax game I can only state from what littlevI have experienced. One common thread I do see is almost universal hatred of the T8000. Is it really that bad? If so then aren't Stax doing a disservice to the 009S by demoing with this amp (although I realize they have to). Does that also imply that the 009S are most likely even better than initial reports considering that people have only heard them with the T8000?

It really only makes sense to demo it with a Stax amp.

It is not a bad amp per se, it is just way too pricey for only a little improvement over their existing amps (which are also capable of driving these adequately, even a 007t isn't bad with the 009).
Although you won't get the expansive nature and bass control and impact of the more powerful ones.
It is a similar design to a modified 727 with tube input instead of solid-state, so you might as well get that second-hand for 1/6th of the cost, or a BHSE for a similar amount of money or buy one of the aftermarket amps like a Carbon.

So yes, it might work ok with a Stax amp as well, but there is definitely an improvement to be had with other amps.

Last edited:
May 26, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #192 of 1,367
I'm more than happy to order one for you Ali :). Then, if you're concerned about it performing as expected, there is no issue with me doing a preliminary run in on the BHSE either :wink:.

The price is that different from France? (BTW, if import duties are a concern and provided I get it on time, I am traveling to France during first 2 weeks of august...)

cheers,
arnaud
I know I can count on you Arnaud :grin:
I think I'll wait a bit to have more feedback about it...btw, there's also MrButchi who'll travel to Japan (and back) next november :wink:

Ali

May 26, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #193 of 1,367

I don't think it's hatred so much as deep disappointment. Stax reportedly claimed the T8000 would be better than their legendary SRM-T2, which in DIY form has been widely acclaimed as the best electrostatic headphone amp ever, and they priced it at close to the same price as the BHSE, which is generally considered the best commercially available amp As it was the first new Stax amp in a decade it was widely anticipated. Instead, the T8000 has been reported by several experienced listeners as sounding little better than the Stax SRM-007 or SRM-727, both of which are a third the price of a T8000. On a technical level, it has no greater power than the 727, and lacks the sheer power, as well as the regulated power supply of either the BHSE or the even more powerful DIY T2. So other than a bigger spiffy looking new case, it is hard to see what justifies its lofty price. Not that it is alone in this respect, the MSB electrostatic amplifier and the HiFiMan Shangri-La Sr. amplifier also seem to be priced way out of proportion to apparent parts cost or technical merit IMHO.

However, Stax amps are by no means bad. In fact, I would consider a modified Stax SRM-T1/006t with constant current loads in place of its output plate resistors to be a good baseline amp for any Stax headphone, including the hard-to-drive SR-007.

Incidentally, Stax has not sold a pure tube headphone amp for decades, since the days of the SRA-7 and SRA-8. All of their "tube" amps are hybrids with solid state amplification stages and either tube output stages (T1, 006, 007), tube input stages (T8000), or both (T2).

Of course, since Stax makes and sells amplifiers as well as headphones, it is only natural that they demonstrate their headphones with their amps. Anyway, the T8000 should be good enough to demonstrate comparative differences between the various Stax headphones even if there are a number of third party amplifiers that are both technically and sonically superior.

May 26, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #195 of 1,367
JimL
Thank you for the detailed explanation.
I have dipped my toes into the Stax water with the L300L and chose to go with the 353XBLK as it's natural partner. Needless to say I am hooked and now have a 009S on order. I do not want to mess with tubes so I think Carbon will be the way I end up going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back